Original Hopper and OTA dongle

Any channel that you actually see on your tvc/Hopper is where the channel is down mapped. Tnes you are trying to get are actually broadcast on a uhf channel.
From tvfool.com for Colorado Springs
https://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=90
KRDO is broadcast on 24 and down mapped to 13-1
Callsign Chan Network Dist
(mi) Path NM
(dB)
KKTV 49 CBS 6.5 LOS 67.8
KVSN-DT 48 6.5 LOS 66.1
KRDO-DT 24 (13.1) ABC 6.4 LOS 65.8
KTSC-DT 8 (8.1) PBS 6.5 LOS 65.6
KOAA-DT 42 (5.1) NBC 6.5 LOS 60.7
KXRM-DT 22 (21.1) Fox 6.5 LOS 60.0
K41JO 28 (41.1) 2.1 LOS 58.2
KZCS-LP 25 (23.1) 6.6 LOS 54.4
KTLO-LP 26 (49.1) 6.5 LOS 54.3
K43CG 43 (43.1) 6.5 LOS 50.1
K14MH 21 (14.1) 2.1 LOS 48.8

Which way is your antenna facing? A VHF antenna is the old boom style with the elements going straight out. The UHF portion of a boom is the section where the boom opens up to form a V. I pure UHF antenna is usuall flat and in the vertical postion with no horizontal boom.
Have you tried to Select All and then delete them and then rescan?

I have the Channelmaster 4221 Bowtie antenna and the "X's" side points to the East and the wire mesh side points to the West (towards Colorado). It does not have a horizontal boom on it, just vertical. I have deleted all the local channels and reset the hopper and rescanned. It still wouldn't find the KKTV or KRDO channels but they work fine when hooked straight to the tv and avoiding the hopper. I really appreciate the help!!

Can you get to the antenna? It a UHF only. The X's should be facing toward Colorado Springs to maxamize reception. The antenna mast should be behind the antenna. What TV stations to you receive from the east of you? You may loose them if you repoint the antenna. The option would be to put a rotor on the antenna so you can point it towards different cities.

Can you get to the antenna? It a UHF only. The X's should be facing toward Colorado Springs to maxamize reception. The antenna mast should be behind the antenna. What TV stations to you receive from the east of you? You may loose them if you repoint the antenna. The option would be to put a rotor on the antenna so you can point it towards different cities.
The channels that come from the East are Kansas ones which I already get through the Dish and don't really care about. I just don't understand why I pick all the Colorado stations up fine when I hook the OTA straight to the TV but when I do the scan with the OTA hooked up to the Hopper it won't find them???

I just don't understand why I pick all the Colorado stations up fine when I hook the OTA straight to the TV but when I do the scan with the OTA hooked up to the Hopper it won't find them???
It's very possible that your TV's tuner is simply "better" than the dongle's tuner. Maybe it's defective.... Can't hurt to swap it for another one. If there's no change, there's not much you can do other than use a larger antenna, get it higher, etc.

Someone mentioned to try it with the amp off in case it is overloading it. Good idea but you may not have executed it correctly. When you unplug the amp you can't simply try to see if there is a signal. You have to actually by pass the amp, or if it has a bypass button use it. Can you hook up the dongle with the Amp completely out of the line?

One other thing, I have an out of market channel from Sarasota that does not show on my DISH receiver (not a hopper) where it is supposed to. It should be Channel 40.1 but it is at 24.1. Be sure to have a list showing of all channels, not a custom list, and see if they are showing at a different channel location.

Someone mentioned to try it with the amp off in case it is overloading it. Good idea but you may not have executed it correctly. When you unplug the amp you can't simply try to see if there is a signal. You have to actually by pass the amp, or if it has a bypass button use it. Can you hook up the dongle with the Amp completely out of the line?

One other thing, I have an out of market channel from Sarasota that does not show on my DISH receiver (not a hopper) where it is supposed to. It should be Channel 40.1 but it is at 24.1. Be sure to have a list showing of all channels, not a custom list, and see if they are showing at a different channel location.
We did completely bypass the amp and it still just found the 10 channels. When I run the scan it shows a list of the channels that come in and it doesn't show them any higher up than channel number 11. Are you saying that it may not show up in the hopper scan list and that I would need to tune the hopper directly to a different channel number? Does that make sense? Thanks again!

No, just that it is possible those channels are at some number other than where you expect them but still would show as an OTA channel.

Have you locked out any channels or blocks of channels? Seems like you have tried most everything, I guess it's time to try a new Dongle.

No, just that it is possible those channels are at some number other than where you expect them but still would show as an OTA channel.

Have you locked out any channels or blocks of channels? Seems like you have tried most everything, I guess it's time to try a new Dongle.
I haven't locked or blocked any channels...how do you do that? Thanks!

I forgot, but I do have a channel that does not show on the OTA module. WWLP from Springfield Mass (I also live in Ct) is a strong channel easily seen on my TV, but for some reason does not show on the OTA module on the DISH receiver. It should, Dish carries it.

I forgot, but I do have a channel that does not show on the OTA module. WWLP from Springfield Mass (I also live in Ct) is a strong channel easily seen on my TV, but for some reason does not show on the OTA module on the DISH receiver. It should, Dish carries it.
That's the same here. The 2 channels I would like to show up (KKTV and KRDO) and don't on the OTA dongle are both channels that Dish Carries. I just can't get them because I live in Kansas (15 miles from the Colorado border) and the "rules" are I have to have the Wichita locals if I want locals!

Would that make a difference since I get all the channels fine when I'm hooked up directly to the tv?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Yes-when I do a scan and highlight a channel it's at 100 with a green bar all the way across the screen.
If you're 40 miles from the towers, using a simple bowtie antenna, and getting 100 on signal strength, I would lean towards overdriving the Dish OTA dongle... You've bypassed it (properly) and it doesn't help though.

Just curious, what strength do you get on the TV w/o the amplifier ?