Orlando HD Locals and New Dish Size

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Gator5000e

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 16, 2004
Orlando, Florida
I am getting ready to move - next couple of weeks - and it appears from the DMA lists that have been posted that Orlando is in the next wave of cities to get HD locals. If that is the case, I would be getting the new dish, correct?

Well, I think I saw one of them yesterday in person and that thing is Frackin' huge!! That is going to be a major eyesore if its put on my roof, or even in the back yard. I am basically on a piece of property with a zero lot line - houses pretty close together - and the only real placement option is on the roof, which is a tile roof. How in the world is that monster going to go up? Also, it looks like it would be a mainsail if Central Florida gets more hurricane activity.

I guess the point of my post is are there any realistic options to this huge dish? Thanks.

They are coming out with a somewhat slimmer version of the dish at some point, but probably not for many months. There is no other option for mpeg 4 locals right now. It does look bigger, but the dimensions of it aren't much larger than older dishes as you may think.

Thanks, Questioner, I had read about that smaller dish but didn't think it would be out in time for my move. As far as the size of the new dish, it sure looked a heck of a lot bigger than my present 3 line HD dish.

Guess, I will call D* and have a guy come out and assess the situation.

The new slim-line is not going to be any smaller by surface area, just lower profile, which generally mean lower height, but to maintain the same gain/surface area, it will be wider. AND it is not even out yet. If you are worried about wind, I know many in the Tampa, Miami and West Palm areas that have dishes on the roof and in the yard; even a few friends in "The Windy City", all with about the same rate of handling severe winds. If you are that worried, go with cable and then worry about downed or dug up cables. Everything has risks. Choose based on the programming and cost.

Last edited:
Thanks, Charper1. You make a good point about others with the new dish as well as choosing based on packaging and price. For me, D* wins that battle. I have been a D* supporter and want to continue to be. I think in the long run D* will blow Bright House away with HD offerings so I try to remain patient.

I was concerned about wind but yor right about ower and cable outages. During the Florida hurricanes, I had TV with my generator while friends with cable waited days, if not weeks for cable to be restored.

I just happened to see what I believe to be the new dish for the first time in person, and my initial impression was it looks really big. This in spite of the warnings posted on Sat Guys that it was bigger.

NP.. The current 5 LNB dish is:

25.5" (H) x 29.5" (W) and 32 lbs (including J-mount mast, dish surface, LNBs, arm and pole attachment) 752.25 sq"

The new one will almost surely be less height but wider to maintain the surface area size; such as 22.5" x 33.5" 753.75 sq" and will probably be made of strong, yet light materials, such as high-tensile fiberglass or maybe a different metal composition. It might debut this summer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)