Orlando Mpeg-4 Local HD's Are Live

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Has anyone had any problems with the video feed of the mpeg-4 local hd's for Orlando? The pixels get distorted very frequently watching the HD or SD programs. I do not have this problem with the OTA.

Has anyone in the Orlando area gotten any Marlins games in MPG4 HD yet? I watched the other nights Marlins game was on 95, was wondering if they were doing any MPG4 games.

channel 96 from what i'm reading. that seems to be D*'s HD RSN channel. several people say they have been seeing marlins and d-rays game on that channel in florida! and, yes, it is mpeg4.

Last edited:
bases1616 said:
Iceturkee is right. I saw the Marlins-Nationals game on CH. 96 in mpeg-4 last night.

Ok, that did it, called D*, got a new H20 and AT9, along with a H10-250 DVR. I know no MPG4 on the DVR, but when the new one comes out they said I will get a swap out. The DVR will be used to tape my wife's soaps from OTA locals.

I will hate giving up all of the features of my HTL-HD receiver, for the watered down H20, but if I can see the Marlins in HD it is worth it. D* is getting slammed with installs since the HD locals have been added, in the Orlando market, going to be about 2 1/2 weeks before they can install my equipment, due to the backup.

Not doubting, just wondering...how do you know it was MPEG4?

Also, can someone from Orlando look in the setup and tell me the signal strengths you are getting from the 6 active transponders positions (1-6) on 103W? I am very curious how much of Florida can be seen statewide.

i believe i read it in d*'s press release because it said you needed the at9 dish and the h20 receiver!

hmm, i would assume sun sports hd would pop up later in the year when hockey and basketball return. although, i get that on cable, it might be tempting to think about........especially, if gator basketball showed up in hd (on fsn florida)!!

Tonight the Devil Rays game is on both 95 and 96! Too bad the D-rays are doing any better. Marlins game was on 95 last night as well. The people on the local AVS Brighthouse forum are going nuts not getting FSN Florida.

Gator5000e said:
Tonight the Devil Rays game is on both 95 and 96! Too bad the D-rays are doing any better. Marlins game was on 95 last night as well. The people on the local AVS Brighthouse forum are going nuts not getting FSN Florida.

Just watched the D' Rays game, the outcome could have been better, but at least I got to see it in HD. That is why I am a D* customer, I got sick and tired of calling BHN and getting a song and dance every time I asked why they didn't carry FSN. My neighbor is dumping BHN also. He is a Mets fan and has BHN and subscribes to the IE baseball package, but every time the Mets play the Marlins it is blacked out. He called MLB about it and they said it is blacked out because he has to watch the game on his local RSN, FSN Florida, which BHN refuses to carry. So not only is BHN loosing customers that are Marlin and Devil Ray fans, but they are loosing Mets fans as well, to D* & E*.

Plus after the hurricanes, in 2004, I realized that having D* was much better than having cable. All the people in our neighborhood that had cable were without it for about 2 weeks after the storm went through. I had my D* back, just after the winds died down and I started my generator. Of course our house was the gathering place at night, until the cable came back on, but I made them bring the beer.

lou_do said:
Plus after the hurricanes, in 2004, I realized that having D* was much better than having cable. All the people in our neighborhood that had cable were without it for about 2 weeks after the storm went through. I had my D* back, just after the winds died down and I started my generator. Of course our house was the gathering place at night, until the cable came back on, but I made them bring the beer.

Lucky you.

Most customers in South Florida, especially last year after Wilma, had only mounting brackets on their house as the pizza dishes don't last in 95mph winds.

It took 6-8 weeks for most to get them replaced.

Keep a spare in the garage if you want that to remain true in the future.

not only do we not have fsn fla but bhn hasn't been broadcasting the marlins games that are on sun sports. what's up with that?

despite, this, with the massive headaches i had with d*, i don't regret going back to cable. my hd pic is superior and i don't have to play csr roulette to get a problem taken care of!

HDTVFanAtic said:
Lucky you.

Most customers in South Florida, especially last year after Wilma, had only mounting brackets on their house as the pizza dishes don't last in 95mph winds.

It took 6-8 weeks for most to get them replaced.

Keep a spare in the garage if you want that to remain true in the future.

My dish is mounted on the back of my house, in a good protected area. I will never put a dish on my roof again after the install that was done at my last house, it caused a leak in my roof that cost me $4000.00 in damages. Wall mounts only for me from now on. Plus in my case, on the wall it is more protected from winds.

Again, your post reminded me again today to order another dish to sit in a garage as the new hurricane season is here - and I did.

As you may or may not know, the wind speed and pressure can actually INCREASE in between houses instead of on the roof at you get a "Canyon" effect.

I realize there are not any canyons in Florida, but ask people who live out west about the wind blowing through canyons (or speak to those that work in Manhattan for that matter).

So while it prevent leaks (and I agree with you roof mounts are horrible idea), that still has its own set of issues with those dishes.

Bottom line, if the Dish is still up after a hurricane, you will have TV Service faster than if the cable substructure is damaged. If not, it's entirely possible cable will be back faster. However, there were nothing but a lot of mounts left after Wilma.

HDTVFanAtic said:
Again, your post reminded me again today to order another dish to sit in a garage as the new hurricane season is here - and I did.

So while it prevent leaks (and I agree with you roof mounts are horrible idea), that still has its own set of issues with those dishes.

Bottom line, if the Dish is still up after a hurricane, you will have TV Service faster than if the cable substructure is damaged. If not, it's entirely possible cable will be back faster. However, there were nothing but a lot of mounts left after Wilma.

We did OK after the two in 2004, that we got hit with, but your right, that doesn't mean it won't be that way next time. I plan to do as you said and purchase a spare dish. I had done that years ago and still have that single LNB dish in the box, in the attic. Will now need replace it with a spare 5 LNB dish.

HDTVFanAtic said:

Did you know D* now offers a kit with a round dish, tripod, 50 ft of cable, compass, tools and instructions? It's designed to allow people who have had damge to their dish to get set back up quickly after a disaster. IIRC, the kit is only $50 , but the shipping is higher-$30, I think.

Newshawk said:
Did you know D* now offers a kit with a round dish, tripod, 50 ft of cable, compass, tools and instructions? It's designed to allow people who have had damge to their dish to get set back up quickly after a disaster. IIRC, the kit is only $50 , but the shipping is higher-$30, I think.

As many of us who have been in disaster areas have found out, that works well once FedEX, UPS and the USPS start delivering in the area again - but in many instances that has taken literally weeks (or months in New Orleans).

I won't bore you with the details of trying to get my satellite phone to a friend right outside of New Orleans last year after Katrina.

But in a word, lots of luck.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts