OSX Rumor: Mountain Lion in a few weeks?

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Mountain Lion to arrive sooner than expected? | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

Who knows if it is true, or not, but...

For the past couple of months Apple has been teasing the public with its upcoming version of OS X, called Mountain Lion. Earlier this year Apple released a sneak peek of the new Mountain Lion features on its Web site, and has since been releasing builds of the operating system to developers for testing. While Apple has claimed the OS will be released this summer, new developments suggests this date may be earlier rather than later.

In the past when Apple has promised software releases during the summer, it has waited until the very end of summer to release them, but according to AppleInsider, Apple is in the midst of hiring and training a number of new AppleCare employees, which suggests Apple expects the OS release to be ready for pubic release within weeks, rather than months.

I personally am looking forward to further iOS integration, an improved Safari, and system notifications. Soon is good, as long as its not Dish Network's definition of soon. :)

Probably announcing at WWDC, and shipping shortly thereafter.

I will have to think long and hard about this upgrade, as I'm not sure I want it to be more iOS like. iOS and iOS integration are different beasts to be sure, but anyway that's just me.

Probably announcing at WWDC, and shipping shortly thereafter.

I will have to think long and hard about this upgrade, as I'm not sure I want it to be more iOS like. iOS and iOS integration are different beasts to be sure, but anyway that's just me.

From what I have read and seen from the preview, it does not look to be too radical a change from Lion at all. I like the enhanced security via the sandboxed apps; the notification center to replace Growl, already using iMessage on my mac (which as an iPhone user is incredibly valuable; as I can send and receive texts from my Air); AirPlay mirroring to my Apple TV will be huge, and integration with iCloud with Notes and Reminders will be nice (the former more than the latter, since I already have that through BusyCal and iCloud). So for me, it is a no-lose situation. It seems like Mission Control is staying the same, and I am already happy with that. Now maybe, just maybe, they'll improve dual monitor support.

As long as all the under the covers stuff, most especially access to the actual OS via terminal remains and I'm not locked inside the GUI I'll probably be just fine with it.

My wife loves the Air/iOS integration. Me? I'm still an an android guy for tablets and phones. My needs are not typical though. Being able to plug a prolific USB-> Serial adapter in to fire up servers via serial ports was a huge deal for me.

As long as all the under the covers stuff, most especially access to the actual OS via terminal remains and I'm not locked inside the GUI I'll probably be just fine with it.

My wife loves the Air/iOS integration. Me? I'm still an an android guy for tablets and phones. My needs are not typical though. Being able to plug a prolific USB-> Serial adapter in to fire up servers via serial ports was a huge deal for me.

No reason whatsoever to believe terminal access would go away.

For iPhone/iPad/Mac users, this will make life very very nice. And of course, that is Apple's goal. Create an ecosystem where all their products play REALLY well together. It makes them $$. :)

Just because we don't see a reason for it doesn't mean Apple is on the same page.

As long as I have access to the underlying OS instance via command line (and as root with sudo and/or su), I'm fine.

Just because we don't see a reason for it doesn't mean Apple is on the same page.

As long as I have access to the underlying OS instance via command line (and as root with sudo and/or su), I'm fine.

The ML preview has been out for a few months; if radical changes like eliminating the terminal, or anything else of that nature were occurring, it would be all over the tech news. It hasn't. ML has been in the hands of developers for a while.

My point is simply that there is no reason whatsoever to believe that those types of changes are happening. If anything, ML seems like a series of tweaks to Lion more than anything. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)