OT: DirecTV Considers Dropping Channels And Offering An Internet Video Service

Jamie companies know the game canceling in tears just let me a better deal actually make it worse deal because tenure is what gives you a better deal in the long term and prices Frensons DirecTV you have a protection plan every two years new equipment all around the cost extra cost and every one year you get a free upgrade

What?

Jamie companies know the game canceling in tears just let me a better deal actually make it worse deal because tenure is what gives you a better deal in the long term and prices Frensons DirecTV you have a protection plan every two years new equipment all around the cost extra cost and every one year you get a free upgrade

Rey couldnt have said it better himself...

I don't think prices could go anywhere but up. How could they not? I wish the pay-TV industry would take a note from the mobile phone companies, who have recently been significantly slashing prices on plans. I never thought that would happen. Perhaps there is greater flexibility in that industry than in the pay-TV industry. Like most are saying here, certain things are essential in life, others are not. Gasoline, health insurance, car insurance, etc- you gotta have that stuff. But pay TV? Only if you can afford it. And it's becoming less and less affordable. There isn't any real good alternative though. I have a Roku and it does certain things very well, but it doesn't replace live TV for sports and new shows.

Eventually there could be enough online content to justify a decent amount of people to switch to online only viewing if more create their own channels and good enough content on them. I can see a whole new suite of channels created and it being provided for free via the internet and as popularity and content grows a small fee being charged to compete with satellite/cable.

Yes and when that happens , the cost of online content will sky-rocket . Won't be any better off in the long run that I can see.

I imagine that the cell providers have much fewer companies to deal with to provide the service to you and more options and more control of things vs tv which has all these different companies providing channels that you simply can't replace with something else. That's probably why the prices haven't and will not in the future drop like phone service has. There is not as much flexibility there.

Yeah. And the ironic thing is, even though cell phones and VOIP phones have become extremely affordable, Ma'Bell still charges for land lines the same way they did 20 years ago. That's probably how cable & satellite companies will be. Even when there are lots of alternatives available, they'll still charge out the ying yang for the existing product. Even the CEO'S admit it's an out-dated model that needs to be changed, but nobody can do anything about it.

It's not complicated, At&t.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ4c1CYAQpk

wut-babka.jpg

I started with Dish with the Everything Package and with each price increase I dropped my package down. I am now with the dish America package AND bb@H (until my $5 per month discount runs out and then its gone. I am seriously thinking of getting a TiVo with Lifetime subscription for OTA channels, which is what I watch the most and there are 33 of them. I will miss HDTV, Discovery, USA(new shows only, not the reruns), Lifetime, HMC, but can't afford much more in increase since I am on Social Security now.

DISH America package $44.99 in feb. 2013.

I see people stating that they drop their programming packages to compensate for price increases. You can only drop the packages down so far to where you lose a lot of programming that you want to watch or get to the minimal package that you can get. At that point you are stuck with every increase or will have to drop the DVR, HD, extra receivers or the service altogether.

I think these days a lot of people can do without tv more than they can do without internet. You can watch content online on demand.
In my case, about 2 years ago, I dropped from AT250 to AT120, along with dropping HBO & Starz full-time (I still subscribe to HBO/HBO Go twice a year for a 4-5 weeks at a time), and I've found I've lost little programming I really care about. Hell, even with a reduced package, between Dish, Netflix, Prime Instant, and web content, I find there is more video content than I can keep up with.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)