OT Microwave interference with WiFi

bwexler

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
San Marcos, CA
When I am using my WiFi iPad to access this forum or others, like right now, if my wife turns on the microwave oven I almost always lose my connection.
My router is a Cradlepoint MBR 95 802.11 N.

Any thoughts on the easiest and cheapest solution to stay connected.

Move further from the microwave.

Avoid having the microwave in line between you and the router.

Shift to 5GHz.

Replace microwave- it may be leaking too much.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: 3HaloODST
Move further from the microwave.

Avoid having the microwave in line between you and the router.

Shift to 5GHz.

Replace microwave- it may be leaking too much.

This. Especially, considering replacement of the microwave. Good chance it's leaking.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

If it's over 6 years old just replace the microwave. They don't last much longer than that and new ones are inexpensive.

This is a Panasonic less than 18 months old. Mid range counter top. Should not be leaking yet, but who knows and it is out of warranty. I don't think my router offers a choice of 5 Ghz but I could try a different channel. Where I use the iPad I am between the MW and the router but only about 5 feet from the microwave.

This is a Panasonic less than 18 months old. Mid range counter top. Should not be leaking yet, but who knows and it is out of warranty. I don't think my router offers a choice of 5 Ghz but I could try a different channel. Where I use the iPad I am between the MW and the router but only about 5 feet from the microwave.

It's just a counter top microwave? Are you able to relocate the microwave or router. I know the microwave is not old but I've seen it happen. Microwaves are made so cheap now, especially counter top models. I honestly don't know how good of a brand Panasonic is when it comes to small appliances.

Microwave leakage detectors are inexpensive.

Is this one of the Panasonic Inverter models that actually modulates the power, rather than cycle power on and off - like every other manufacturer does? We had one - great idea, but it is short lived in practice. Ours did not last long, and we'll never buy another one. So if it's one of those, you might as well shop for a new one now as you'll likely need to sooner rather than later.

If you can't part with a "working" microwave, you could always put it in the garage or shed or give it to charity.

Take a small florescent lightbulb in your hands, (not connected to anything). Turn on the microwave oven. Move the bulb around the outside of the microwave oven.

If it lights up in your hands, throw away the microwave oven right away as it's leaking very badly!

Microwave leakage detectors are inexpensive.

Is this one of the Panasonic Inverter models that actually modulates the power, rather than cycle power on and off - like every other manufacturer does? We had one - great idea, but it is short lived in practice. Ours did not last long, and we'll never buy another one. So if it's one of those, you might as well shop for a new one now as you'll likely need to sooner rather than later.

If you can't part with a "working" microwave, you could always put it in the garage or shed or give it to charity.

Great! Just got a Panasonic. Though, I did know their life expectancy is not great. Problem was, there was no better out there. It replaced a 35 year old Sharp. Just don't make them like they used to.

Reactions: 3HaloODST
Sure don't. I got something like 20 years out of my first one, a closeout floor model demo unit. I can't begin to figure out how many I've had since.

Take a small florescent lightbulb in your hands, (not connected to anything). Turn on the microwave oven. Move the bulb around the outside of the microwave oven.

If it lights up in your hands, throw away the microwave oven right away as it's leaking very badly!

I tried this out last nite and my wife thought I was nuts and laughed her ass off at me. I had to go to my man cave. I wished the dam bulb had lite up! Anyway, I guess our microwave is not leaking. I know when I am in my man cave (garage) and the microwave is on my wireless headset and remote control that operates the great room TV become sluggish. Always has done that, thank goodness usually the microwave is not on that long.

OT but it seems like all microwave ovens are built to planned obsolescence quality these days. Any objective evidence that inverter technology is harder on the magnetron than continually turning it on and off? Intuitively it seems like the latter would cause more wear.

OT but it seems like all microwave ovens are built to planned obsolescence quality these days. Any objective evidence that inverter technology is harder on the magnetron than continually turning it on and off? Intuitively it seems like the latter would cause more wear.

It's not just microwaves, it's all major appliances. They are all built and tested to last 10 years. The only appliances that I know that are built like the old ones are Speed Queen washers and dryers.

I'd be happy to get 10 years out of my microwave. Lately I've been getting about 4-5 years but do use it quite a bit on a daily basis.

I agree. And part of why we bought it. In retrospect, if it was such a good idea, why isn't anyone else doing it?

AFTER ours died so young, we Googled reviews and found it seemed to be a common complaint - premature failure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts