OT: Thinking of going to Comcast

djmeaney

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
I understand this is the Dish forum. However, I am out of contract and seriously considering switching to Comcast based solely on cost.

Has anyone here had recent experience with the Comcast X1 platform that they can share? I know it is not as full featured as the Hopper (I currently have a 722K which has been great), but is it easy to use and reliable?

Have been happy with Dish for the past 5 years -- so this is not a complaint about their service or pricing. The reason for considering the switch is that we will soon be getting a second HD TV. Right now we have one HD and one SD. Currently have Comcast for Internet and Phone (AT&T is the other option -- no uverse in our area yet -- and twisted pair DSL is too slow for telecommuting purposes).

By bundling TV with internet/phone the cost could be $40/month less than Dish for the first year (promo price) and pretty much a wash by the third year when I would pay full bust out retail.

Again, not a rant against Dish. Just looking for feedback on recent experience with Comcast/Xfinity.

Thanks,

Dan

If it is savings you are after...for limited time, mind you, sure, might be an option. But having kept pretty much up to date one the other provider's tech, you will not find a better multi-HDTV option than the Hopper, equipment feature/quality-wise. You Ned to call Comcast, and make sure you acknowledged ALL their equipment fees.

As mentioned above, make sure the price you discuss with Comcast includes whatever additional fee's will be required for the X1 service, and HD service.

I'm going to have to agree with Claude here. No way a cable company is going to offer you better service than Dish or DirecTV. As others have stated, be sure to find out exactly what your bill will be. You need to know all the extra fees that they don't tell you about upfront. Even if it were a savings of $20 a month I wouldn't do it. $20 a month for only a year is not worth putting up with an inferior product and service.

This is just my opinion though. I do not know how you are doing financially and that would be more important than TV.

You'll find that the dvr from any cable company sucks compared to any Dish receiver. They only have a single tuner,AFAIK. If your used to multiple tuners you'll be tearing your hair out. HD is not integrated with SD. I was just at my inlaws in Mass who have Comcrap. When you want to watch an HD channel you have to remember that it's a different number than broadcast. For instance, if you want to watch Channel in HD, you have to go to 802.
Cost isn't everything.
Also, do you share the TV with anyone? If so, are they willing to learn a whole new operating system? I know in my case, my wife has learned how to use the Hopper. Due to special pricing, we also have a TWC dvr. When she tries to use it, she gives up in frustration.
If mother isn't happy, no one is happy!

I'd rather cut a deal with Satan himself than Comcast. Other than their Internet service my experience has been horrible & their technical support is indescribably incompetent.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

I'd rather cut a deal with Satan himself than Comcast. Other than their Internet service my experience has been horrible & their technical support is indescribably incompetent.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

You need to read the OP's post...he already has Dish Network. ;)

And nothing in D. Manley post says any different. The OP has stated that he is thinking on going over to Comcast and the answer, several actually, are advising him not to.... ;)

just a FYI guys the X1 setup allows you to record 4 shows at once while watching a 5th and you can add terminals (Comcasts version of a E* Joey or D* client)

I understand this is the Dish forum. However, I am out of contract and seriously considering switching to Comcast based solely on cost.

Has anyone here had recent experience with the Comcast X1 platform that they can share? I know it is not as full featured as the Hopper (I currently have a 722K which has been great), but is it easy to use and reliable?

Have been happy with Dish for the past 5 years -- so this is not a complaint about their service or pricing. The reason for considering the switch is that we will soon be getting a second HD TV. Right now we have one HD and one SD. Currently have Comcast for Internet and Phone (AT&T is the other option -- no uverse in our area yet -- and twisted pair DSL is too slow for telecommuting purposes).

By bundling TV with internet/phone the cost could be $40/month less than Dish for the first year (promo price) and pretty much a wash by the third year when I would pay full bust out retail.

Again, not a rant against Dish. Just looking for feedback on recent experience with Comcast/Xfinity.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan
Since you didnt mention which area of the country you are in the best suggestion is check out info at avsforum.com
You can search for your local area and see what folks who have it say good or bad with it

Find a friend that has X1 and try it out first.

I hear its not that great. But the only one who can decide if you will like it or not is you. :)

I use Comcast for high speed internet purposes and I can tell you that Comcast's customer service is absolutely horrendous. They make the Dish CSRs look like angelic Christmas carolers. I have to endure Comcast's internet service, and that is enough. If you need to get through to a live person, expect long wait times, sometimes in excess of 30 minutes. Ever seen the Youtube video of the Comcast tech who fell asleep on the customer's couch while waiting for dispatch to respond? It's not a joke.

A few months ago, Comcast sent me a letter stating that they would be using my leased modem to expand their nationwide "cloud" service to allow other customers to log in to their network. I didn't like the fact that they would be using my leased equipment as a channel to allow other people to use their service. Needless to say, I purchased my own modem and gave them back their leased modem.

Be careful if you choose Comcast for their video service. It's not the same as Dish or Directv.

Last edited:
Comcast advertises the X1 as being able to record 4 programs while watching a fifth -- sounds like they are trying to catch up to the Hopper. My wife is very impatient when it comes to technology and your point about being easy to use is well taken.

You'll find that the dvr from any cable company sucks compared to any Dish receiver. They only have a single tuner,AFAIK. If your used to multiple tuners you'll be tearing your hair out. HD is not integrated with SD. I was just at my inlaws in Mass who have Comcrap. When you want to watch an HD channel you have to remember that it's a different number than broadcast. For instance, if you want to watch Channel in HD, you have to go to 802.
Cost isn't everything.
Also, do you share the TV with anyone? If so, are they willing to learn a whole new operating system? I know in my case, my wife has learned how to use the Hopper. Due to special pricing, we also have a TWC dvr. When she tries to use it, she gives up in frustration.
If mother isn't happy, no one is happy!

Comcast advertises the X1 as being able to record 4 programs while watching a fifth -- sounds like they are trying to catch up to the Hopper. My wife is very impatient when it comes to technology and your point about being easy to use is well taken.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)