OTA AM21 and software update questions and HR24 submodel question, BBCA HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thanks for posting this. I've been looking for this information.

I sent an email to Direct asking about the AM21 channels. For what its worth here is the reply.....

I don't think you answered my question.

Let's take some examples. In the SF Bay Area there are OTA channels that are not in the DirectTV guide. Example; KAXT (channel 1.1 - 1.9). I can receive this channel on my TV's and also via DISH OTA. There is no programming info for it on DISH but you can receive and manually record.

I have read the AM21 manual and have checked out DirectTV support forums. The problem is that more OTA channels are available than appear in the DirectTV guide. It appears that, unlike DISH, if the AM21 finds an OTA signal that isn't in the downloaded DirectTV guide it will NOT tune it or record it.

I'm trying to confirm if this information is accurate.

I'm sorry to learn that our previous email did not answer your question. But I am grateful that your letter was brought to my attention. I'd be glad to help.

ATSC means Advanced Television Systems Committee. It sets standards for High Definition TV (HDTV). For DIRECTV customers, this means high definition that comes across by land. An AM21 integrates ATSC broadcast off-air antenna HD channels into the DIRECTV Guide. The AM21 and the tuners in our high-end receivers are ATSC. You’ll only see ATSC locals whether you’re viewing locals from an antenna or from the satellite.

If your receiver is connected to the AM21 but is missing some locals that you got with an antenna, here's what you'll need to do:

1. Keep the AM21 connected to the receiver.
* You can record available Over The Air (OTA) channels from the AM21 on your DVR and use the dual-tuner.
* Available OTA channels from the AM21 will appear in the guide.

2. Run your antenna cable directly to the TV and disconnect the AM21.
* You can get all available stations, but some might be analog and standard-def only.
* You can record them on your DVR, but they won't appear in the guide.

I hope this information is helpful. Thanks again for writing. We appreciate you giving us a chance to respond to your concerns.

Here is something pretty coo, that I found at "the other site"

Now I've posted the full channel list for D* before but this adds OTA in it too. SO it now shows what chanenls the AM21 will load for a market
Open the file and select the 2nd option (LIL). It will then show the sat locals then the OTA ones for the guide (and it does match what I had on my AM21 here in Minneapolis)

2. Run your antenna cable directly to the TV and disconnect the AM21.
* You can get all available stations, but some might be analog and standard-def only.
* You can record them on your DVR, but they won't appear in the guide.

So they are claiming you can record channels received by connecting an antenna to your television on your dvr? I wonder how they think you can do that?

Iceberg,

Glad to hear that this info matched what you see in Minneapolis.

I found all of the SF Bay Area OTA stations that I care about. I wish Direct would have had this information posted in an easy to find area on their site.

Based on all of this recent information I think I'm going to switch.

Thanks to all for the information.

Here is something pretty coo, that I found at "the other site"

Now I've posted the full channel list for D* before but this adds OTA in it too. SO it now shows what chanenls the AM21 will load for a market
Open the file and select the 2nd option (LIL). It will then show the sat locals then the OTA ones for the guide (and it does match what I had on my AM21 here in Minneapolis)

Iceberg,

Glad to hear that this info matched what you see in Minneapolis.
The only station that doesnt show in the AM21 in Mpls is WUCW-DT3 which is the Country Network (24/7 country videos). There is no guide on any platform so its kinda moot ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts