OTA and DTV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rowari

Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Arizona
Incredible the amount of advice and help you all offer here!
Sorry if posting to the wrong forum and using wrong terms... question regards OTA antenna w/Directv service. Receiver is Samsung SIR-TS360. Dish is WNC AU2-F1, built in multi-switch w/4 outputs.
Need to install an OTA for local hd. Antenna web shows me all stations I want at same direction and same distance of 22 miles. Recommends medium directional w/pre-amp.
The house is a new house we just had built and added satellite pre-wire. Coax from dish connects to plug outside then carried to OnQ panel inside then distributed throughout connected rooms in house.

The question is, how to hook up the OTA? Thought of two possible ways but not sure of viability and need some help!
Since the LNB has a multi-switch could it be as simple as mounting the antenna near to the dish and running the coax to an unused plug on the multi-switch on the antenna? If so, is a diplexer/splitter needed to split the signal as it comes back in?
Or, an additional rg6 (quad shield) cable was ran to the attic for, I assume, an antenna. Would it work to hook up OTA antenna there (provided reception)?

Thanks for any help or suggestions!!!!

I would use a seperate feed from the antenna to the set top box for OTA.
The best place for an antenna is outside and as high as possible. Now this is not say in an attic does not work, in fact I would try it first. You can lose 3-5 db insgnal trying to get through a shingled roof.

Try using the ChannelMaster 4228 or the www.antennasdirect.com 's DB4.

Do you "need" OTA for all tv's? Or would the Direct locals serve the purpose for those TV's that are not HD?
I

Thanks for the advice!
Tried looking locally (85338) and kept getting pointed towards the typical mass electronic retailers, Best Buy and Circuit City who carry only Terk in what I need. Other option is Radio Shack? This one has been pointed out to me as "probably will take care of it..."

For now the Direct will serve for locals on other tv's.This one

Lowes carries some CM antennas. Best to do a little more research as to which antenna you want/need. I'd stick to CM and Winegard and you can get them on-line from Warren, Solid Signal, and Stark.

Well, real smart of me...forgot to select "show digital stations only" when querying antennaweb....Just my luck, response is:
There are no digital stations predicted to serve this location.
Depending on the specifics of your installation, though, you may be able to receive some signals.

Thanks for the help though!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)