OTA and moving scenario

dclboro

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 11, 2007
I was wondering if anyone has experience with a situation like this:

Say I "move" to an area that is out of my spotbeam (500 miles away). I know I won't get their local channels. I would be doing this for the purpose of getting an mlb team's games (because of the pending mlb decision). I receive my real local channels right now using my OTA antenna (which shows up in my 622 guide). If I make the long distance "move", will the OTA local channels still show up in my guide. I want to make sure that I can still DVR my shows that come through the OTA and I know that if they don't show up in the guide, then I can't program the recordings.

P.S. Please don't turn this into a post about morals or ethics. Just advice concerning this situation. Thanks.

You will still get your OTA so yes you will still be able to record it. The channels will still show up in your guide, however I dont know if it will say digital local or have the programing info in the guide. Worst case scenario, you will have to set the timer manually to record the game.

You'll be fine, actually here is what happened to me. Prior to moving, I had no information in my OTA guide. I did a number of soft and hard boots but thought maybe they just didn't upload my area yet. Well, I moved and what do you know, suddenly all my OTA guide information is there. Enjoy your move.

what you want will work -- your OTA locals will show up in the guide and you will be able to DVR them. you might be tempted to cancel your locals package since you get them OTA and you won't get them from dish network after your "move". but don't do this because doing so would cause you to lose the guide information for your ota locals.