OTA and the 622

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

garys

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Got my 622 hooked up Friday afternoon, got the package changed which includes the NY HD locals, I am in the NY dma. However, I live close to another local market and can pick up their OTA signals better than NY's, so on Saturday hooked up antenia to 622 and scanned in channels. Late Saturday I got one really big surprise, info on the OTA channels in the guide. To clarify why the surprise - my setup is Dish 500 Pro twin with Pro dual airmed at 61.5 using a DP34 switch. The locals I am picking up are available via E* but are on 105 and requires a superdish. I am sure I am not getting the info via the EPG. Anyone with info on how I am getting them? Note: I also have a 921 on the same system, no info available on that receiver.

Last edited:
Just because the locals themselves are on 105, doesn't mean the the guide data is also transmit at 105. I could be wrong, but this is the only thing that makes sense. Do you get any NY OTA at all? I'm curious if you get guide data for WCBS-DT or WWOR-DT? I never got the guide data on my 622 for CBS and just lost it for WWOR with L351.

Last edited:
No, too far out to receive them. I am actually surprised as I am a lot closer to the OTA I can get (FCC must have really messed up). The only NY HD I am getting are via E* so I do not have the info on WWOR-DT. Sorry I can't help you on that one. But back to my original question: I do not have 105 on my setup and that is where the channels are that I assume I am getting the info from, nor do I subscribe to them. I do not get any information for the same OTA channels on my 921. Both the 921 and 622 are run off the same switch. So everything I heard about getting the info in my epg (1) Subscribe to the locals and (2) have dish pointed at the orbital location that the locals are delivered on do not apply. I also did not get the info when i had an 811 on this setup. Just confused by it and wanting an explaination.

DVDDAD said:
I never got the guide data on my 622 for CBS and just lost it for WWOR with L351.
I'm having a similar issue in the STL DMA, which has been present since I first activated the 622.

The local FOX (KTVI) does not populate data to the EGP for its off-air DT (UHF 43). The FOX SAT does, and all the other off-air DT's do, and the local FOX off-air DT does on my other receivers, 211, 921, & 811, and always have.

I sent an email to Dish yesterday morning, received a reply yesterday afternoon, and then a phone call from Dish Technical Engineering this morning, asking for some additional information.

I then got another phone call from a Dish software engineer who told me it is probably a software coding issue, specific to the local FOX KTVIDT in the STL DMA, and a patch would be developed to correct it.
He said he would contact me back in 48 hours with an update.

DVDDAD said:
Just because the locals themselves are on 105, doesn't mean the the guide data is also transmit at 105.
Right, and in the case of DVRs it isn't. Looks like the 622 may be working the way I've said the 921 and 942 should work. All use the Extended EPG which contains the 9-day listings for all orbital slots but is available only from 110°. The older receivers don't reveal the guide info unless you have a signal from the satellite Dish has the actual channels (not guide info) on. Of course, satellite reception has nothing to do with OTA reception, so checking for a satellite signal shouldn't even be part of the process. All they have to do is link the name from PSIP with the name in the EEPG.

kdg454 said:
I'm having a similar issue in the STL DMA, which has been present since I first activated the 622.

The local FOX (KTVI) does not populate data to the EGP for its off-air DT (UHF 43). The FOX SAT does, and all the other off-air DT's do, and the local FOX off-air DT does on my other receivers, 211, 921, & 811, and always have.

I sent an email to Dish yesterday morning, received a reply yesterday afternoon, and then a phone call from Dish Technical Engineering this morning, asking for some additional information.

I then got another phone call from a Dish software engineer who told me it is probably a software coding issue, specific to the local FOX KTVIDT in the STL DMA, and a patch would be developed to correct it.
He said he would contact me back in 48 hours with an update.

What e-mail address did you use? The more of these problems that get heard, the more likely they will get fixed. Let me know and I'll send them one too. Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts