OTA antenna advice for new 622

cdh1000

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
I currently have a Dish500 dual LNB, with the Terk dp44 clip on antenna to get my locals in HD (austin). it works great.

Monday, i am getting upgraded to the 622 reciever with Dish 1000.

QUESTION: Will my current clip on Antenna work with the 622? my fear is 'no', because of the extra LNB feed.

and, is there a recommendation of OTA that will work with the 622? i'm about 12 miles from tower, but never got any indoor antenna's to work.

wondering if i bought the Terk HDTVo antenna, if the installer would help wire it up with switches.

Yes it will work . I have two 622s with a terk44 on the 1000.2 sat dish. IT works just fine for all my locals which are only 25 miles or less out.

I envy you guys with being so close to the towers...75+ miles here and struggling with the biggest and best antennas and amps money can buy..:(

Ralph, I envy you that you get to live that far out of the city!

Thanks for the testimonial, Mike. I read a post on another website from someon saying their setup didn't work. Glad to know someone here did. i'll hold off on buying anything new.

I envy you guys with being so close to the towers...75+ miles here and struggling with the biggest and best antennas and amps money can buy..:(

I'm right there with you buddy. I've got a Channel master 4228 w/ a 30db amp, and it barely picks up stations around 70 miles from broadcast. Can't wait till they get HD locals thru DISH around here.

I'm right there with you buddy. I've got a Channel master 4228 w/ a 30db amp, and it barely picks up stations around 70 miles from broadcast. Can't wait till they get HD locals thru DISH around here.

Correct, I use a 91XG with CM7777 preamp, AND a Channelmaster antenna with CM7775 combined to get signal 90% of the time. As the season changes, I have to readjust the aim from time to time. Also depending on the jetstream apparently. It's a pain in the a$$...

Is there a way to wire the antenna into the signal from the dish? I want to add an outside OTA antenna, but the location of the Dish would make running an additional wire not worth it.

Raphy,

that 91XG should pull from 75 miles. You got terrain issues as well? I ask because I've seen a amped 91XG get reliable signal from Erie, Pennsylvania stations up here in Lockport, NY. That's 115 to 120 miles. The antenna is up on a tower to get line of sight (not like I can actually SEE that far, but you know what I mean )

From Erie to Lockport is a straight shot across the lake 120 miles or so would be common. On a digipeater I ran there'd be days with a little band opening I'd pick up an Erie station direct somewhere around 170 miles as the crow flies from the QTH north of Toledo.

With commercial grade tx power broadcastin' - oh yeah... ;)

IMO, stacking amps will just increase the noise factor. Get a good high gain amp to start out with.

Remember that with antenna signal 3dB change in signal is either doubling (+) or halfing (-) of signal. Decibel numbers add up much faster than you imagine. Most fringe and deep fringe pre-amps are 20-30 dB and that's more than enough amplification to do the job if it can be done.

Adding another pre-amp will more than likely do more harm than good (WAG).

Sounds like a good science fair project.

OK, so the installer only has one line active off the LNB going into the house. and of course, he would not hook up the antenna for me (despite what Dish told me on the phone).

so i told him i would hook up the antenna after he left, but i do not think he set up the diplexers correctly. there are is a diplexer outside and 2 at the 622.

after much toying with it, i was able to get 1 of 4 channels picked up on the main room TV, but my diplexer I added at the 622 (3rd one) blocked off the backfeed to my bedroom, so i need to redo that wiring with a splitter i guess.

Also, i can't seem to get any antenna signal on the backfeed TV.

i searched but couldn't find a diagram on this site. does anyone know of the link?

I have clip on LNB routed to clip on antenna, which routes to an outside junction box. the junction box has all discrete coax going to each room, and he set it up correctly so that it worked with just satellite. but its not going to work with antenna.