OTA Antenna / Amplifier Question

You Probably would just add more noise to the signal degrading it. Do you have it mounted outside? Is it pointed correctly for that channel? How far away are you from the antenna? Is it a low power station? What station is it? What is your zip code?.

You Probably would just add more noise to the signal degrading it. Do you have it mounted outside? Is it pointed correctly for that channel? How far away are you from the antenna? Is it a low power station? What station is it? What is your zip code?.

Yes, it is on my roof. I have it pointed the best I can.
This is the 5th antenna I tried, and i'm very happy with it. None have come close to this.

A slight tweak in either direct will drop other stations, so I wont further play with adjusting it.

I am trying to get WGRZ 2.1. I am in 14094. They are about 40miles away.

It looks like WGRZ is a problem for some folks in the area. Your best bet is a larger a antenna. Have you tried a channel master 4228? on your roof with a rotator. Yes that tower is in a different direction from the rest

As far as an amplifier, look for one with a low signal to noise ratio (SNR) and decent gain.

You live in fairly flat area and shouldn't have a problem with a good antenna. It appears that WGRZ is in a different direction (about 60 degrees out) than the rest of the buffalo ones, but with a good antenna, you may find a in-between direction for all of them. Look into the channel master (CM) 4221 or CM 4228. If you want to get other stations, ie canadian, rochester, etc. you may need a rotator.

Check out antennaweb.org.

Thanks, but I wont put that thing on my roof. It's an eyesore. Your advice is appreciated though. I dont care enough to swap it. If the problem could be resolved with an amplifier, that's fine. I do get the CBC out of Toronto pretty decently at around 70%, very rarely breaks up.

Last edited:
As far as an amplifier, look for one with a low signal to noise ratio (SNR) and decent gain.

You live in fairly flat area and shouldn't have a problem with a good antenna. It appears that WGRZ is in a different direction (about 60 degrees out) than the rest of the buffalo ones, but with a good antenna, you may find a in-between direction for all of them. Look into the channel master (CM) 4221 or CM 4228. If you want to get other stations, ie canadian, rochester, etc. you may need a rotator.

Check out antennaweb.org.

Can you give me examples on what is a good signal to noise ratio?

Spend some time in the OTA forum. You'll get a lot of insight from there. In most cases the stuff from RS is overpriced and underperforming. I have no experience with the antenna you have, but others like the Winegard "Squareshooter" SS-1000 or 2000 (similar shape and application) would likely be a better choice:

Winegard --- SquareShooter®HDTV Antenna

In general, the RS amplifiers are quite "noisy" which is never good and often works to the detriment of all signals passing through it. A better choice would be as mentioned above, or perhaps the CM7777. You should look for a noise figure of 2.0dB or less. Higher gain often means higher noise, so choose wisely!

Channel Master - Off-Air Antennas for HDTV, UHF & VHF

You probably have more than enough gain for your application. Since your unit is already amplified, perhaps there is no alternative with that unit. I notice that it also comes with RG-59/u cable. You should be using RG-6/u for best performance. You might be at the limit for your particular unit. If it works fine for all your other stations, leave it alone. Consider a separate antenna/amp for the one that you can't receive now and combine the signals.

Just some ramblings based on a lot of prior experience in a marginal area...

i know if i connect my hdtv antenna directly to my TV i get almost a 100 signal on almost all channels and if i connect it to my 622 i get between 70 and 90 for the signal. this is just want i have seen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)