OTA Antenna / Amplifier Question

I had trouble with the signal on one of my OTA channels. Not sure if I have the same amplifier but I put it on before I split the signal to my 622 and TV tuner, and I got that channel relatively stable when I watch it on my TV tuner. Much better than before the amplifier was installed. It still goes in and out with the yellow screen through my 622 though. Rest of my channels are fine on the 622 and it's nice having PIP and lots of choices. Sad I can't DVR NBC in HD though, but I'm hoping for Locals this year to solve this problem.

i know if i connect my hdtv antenna directly to my TV i get almost a 100 signal on almost all channels and if i connect it to my 622 i get between 70 and 90 for the signal. this is just want i have seen.
Typical result. Keep in mind that the numbers are meaningless when comparing between two different machines, but if you're saying that your TV tuner does a better job than the one in your 622, then that is the same as what I experience. The tuner in my Sony TV is superior to that in the 622. The signal via the 622 will have more drop-outs than when tuned directly in the TV. If the signal is strong enough then they perform the same. The difference is noticed on marginal signals, which - alas - is more the norm for me...!

Also, install an FM TRAP before any amplifiers. FM signals are real strong and can push you into the headroom of many residential grade amplifiers.

Typical result. Keep in mind that the numbers are meaningless when comparing between two different machines, but if you're saying that your TV tuner does a better job than the one in your 622, then that is the same as what I experience. The tuner in my Sony TV is superior to that in the 622. The signal via the 622 will have more drop-outs than when tuned directly in the TV. If the signal is strong enough then they perform the same. The difference is noticed on marginal signals, which - alas - is more the norm for me...!

I agree that you really can't compare metering devices between two diff machines.

Typical NOT though: I have found the 622/722 tuners, in most cases, to be better than most tv tuners, including a couple Sonys.
Your case may be different, you need to try both ways.

fred

I just upgraded from a 622 to a 722 in December and I think the OTA tuner on the 722 is better. I found that a couple of the LA stations that I got really low signals with the 622 are much more stable with the 722. The 622 consistantly lost signal lock and the 722 has not so far.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I just upgraded from a 622 to a 722 in December and I think the OTA tuner on the 722 is better. I found that a couple of the LA stations that I got really low signals with the 622 are much more stable with the 722. The 622 consistantly lost signal lock and the 722 has not so far.

Has anyone else noticed this?
For me the opposite applied. I put 722 where 622 had been and got great signals. With the 722, I had to relocate my attic antennas.

I've gotten WGRZ very well using only an indoor antenna from Lockport.

If you don't have it pointed exactly where it should be, you may want to consider a rotor.

Also...Radio Shack preamps are often junk. You'll see a much better performance with something along the lines of Channel Master.

For me the opposite applied. I put 722 where 622 had been and got great signals. With the 722, I had to relocate my attic antennas.

Interesting - maybe this wet winter weather has someting to do with it. I am 60 miles from the LA transmitters and have a good sized set of hills in the way so reception has always been on the fringe. I hope it stays as good as it is because I get the local stations in HD that carry Two and a Half Men reruns plus the Laker games - Dish only has these in SD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)