OTA Antenna and Dish

mraudit

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
Omaha, NE
I am moving from FT. Worth Texas, to a small town in Iowa. Don't you just love job transfers??? Anyway, I will need to get an OTA Antenna to pick up locals that some are close to 80 miles away. Two questions; first, will I have to run a seperate cable to each TV for the locals, and second, I take it there are companies out there that will come install the Antenna and make it work??

I have the VIP 622, and a regular DVR, to control four TVs.

Thanks

This antenna ought to do the trick:
http://shop.willyselectronics.com/browse.cfm/4,4.htm

I have the model just under this one an I get Indy Channels just fine (I'm 60 miles away)

The antenna needs a pre-amp attached to it and an AMP where you plan to plug it into the tv. I get my Antenna locals on 2 tv's. On TV1 in HD and on TV2 (SD) via the RCA cables from the 622 to TV2. Once you get to the AMP inside, you can split from there anywhere in the house. I have done this Directly to TV2 as well so I can get the locals in HD rather than the SD via the RCA connection from the 622.

I hope this helps.
Cheers.

Webpage cannot be found!! Check your URL.

Original Poster - give us the zip code of your new address and we can advise.

I am moving from FT. Worth Texas, to a small town in Iowa. Don't you just love job transfers??? Anyway, I will need to get an OTA Antenna to pick up locals that some are close to 80 miles away. Two questions; first, will I have to run a seperate cable to each TV for the locals, and second, I take it there are companies out there that will come install the Antenna and make it work??

I have the VIP 622, and a regular DVR, to control four TVs.

Thanks

If it is a new home and it will be easy to run extra cables then your life will be easier. Otherwise - no you do not have to run additional cables. You can use satellite diplexers to combine the satellite and antenna signals outside and then separate them again at the receiver. For TVs that do not need the satellite signal you can just split the OTA signal to distribute it. You will likely need some amplification if you split it to 4 TV's however.

I tried to install a OTA antenna (DX Antenna Active 5) today for my local HD channels, I am about 30 miles from the towers. I ran this thru my satellite cable and use a diplexer inside the house. Could not get any signal with this at all, it was late so I gave it up for the day, will try again tomorrow, any suggestions as to why this wouldn't work, please let me know. I had a large antenna already in place and it was perfect when the wind was not blowing, so I decided to go with the small amplified one, if I can't get it to work tomorrow, will go back to the large one. Thanks, Bumblebee8

I have a 622 receiver.

Question: Should I run a seperate cable from antenna to receiver?

Last edited:
Give us more info,your location, are your stations UHF, VHF or both.
Run new cable,diplexers can reduce signal.

My location is in Northeast Miss, Tupelo, MS area. Both UHF & VHF I think. I have decided today to run new cable directly from the antenna to the tv tuner and try that first, if that doesn't work, I will use the tuner from the 622, hopefully one of the two will work..someone suggested using a DC block coupling at the receiver input, any thoughts on this? My son is using the DX Antenna Active 5 and his signals are great, he is about the same distants to the tower as I am so I assumed this antenna would work for me but so far no signal but will try again today.

My location is in Northeast Miss, Tupelo, MS area. Both UHF & VHF I think. I have decided today to run new cable directly from the antenna to the tv tuner and try that first, if that doesn't work, I will use the tuner from the 622, hopefully one of the two will work..someone suggested using a DC block coupling at the receiver input, any thoughts on this? My son is using the DX Antenna Active 5 and his signals are great, he is about the same distants to the tower as I am so I assumed this antenna would work for me but so far no signal but will try again today.

I looked at the antenna you are using and I can't imagine it being very good for VHF signals. It's really designed for motorhomes and boats where there may not be room for a "proper" antenna. And amplification does not make up for being a small antenna, you can't amplify signals that are not there.
Post your zip code and let's see what sort of antenna might work for you.

Texasbrit, I got the DX Antenna installed today with a direct line into my tv. It is working perfectly, very pleased with the reception so far. Our stations are mostly UHF. This antenna was recommended to us by a local satellite retailer. He told me that he uses these all the time with good luck. My zip is 39773. Thanks for offering to help.

Looking at antennaweb, in 39773 you are in a pretty good area for reception, do you have a problem receiving WMAB-DT, it's your only VHF station? How about WTVA, the database shows it at low power but I think it may have gone to full power by now?
Glad the antenna is working for you.....

Looking at antennaweb, in 39773 you are in a pretty good area for reception, do you have a problem receiving WMAB-DT, it's your only VHF station? How about WTVA, the database shows it at low power but I think it may have gone to full power by now?
Glad the antenna is working for you.....

Always good to hear someone getting good ota results. If you run into weak signal problems, look at the Channel Master 4228. It's a uhf antenna, but does very well for me here in CT with channel 10. It is rather directional, so to get WMAB dt you might need a rotor. The other stations are nearly in a direct line to you. Good luck!

Texasbrit, I cannot pick up WMAB-DT, the tower is in another direction and about 40 or so miles from me. I am getting a 98 signal on WTVA, 100 on WCBI and 78-80 on WKDH, WLOV has not gone digital yet. So far I am pleased with the reception.
Thanks again,
Bumblebee8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts