OTA Antenna from Dish TV

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
Does anyone know what kind of OTA antenna Dish is going to offer for first time customer installs that is $49.99? CSR didn't seem to know. Does it depend on where you live? Do those OTA antennas that mound on the dish work very well? Thanks to all that respond.

The only problm with the Winegard Squareshooter is that it is UHF only, meaning that it might not be good enough, when the HD ATSC OTA switchover occurs on Feb. 17, 2009.

The orignal plan was to switch all HD OTA to UHF, but the FCC has now changed the assignments. Some stations will go back to their original VHF assignments.

Only channels 51-69 will not be available for HD.

So, all of those, who opted for UHF only will have to replace their antennas or be out of receiving a lot of channels.

Charles, I have had good performance with square shooter here in STL. If it doesn't work out of the box, I would usually add a pre-amp, low power, 19db gain first then 28db gain, if needed. I am surprised that Dish would commit to installing another mast. I use a Stealth II (built-in pre-amp) for my 921 and a SS with 19db pre-amp for the 811. Just because I can. Also, STL HD transmits are currently UHF. Don't know what the future holds.

Last edited:
Just noticed another thing... KMOV CBS is at transmit 56. All the others are 47 and below. So, if they are moved back to 4 then another (different) antenna would be needed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts