OTA Antenna on a Dish Network Mount?

johnnyjohnson

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
I have a question regarding mounting an OTA Dish Antenna (with a motor) onto an existing Dish antenna mount that is no longer being used for Dish Network. First of all, the Dish is mounted on my roof (see picture below). I am considering buying this antenna (see link).
Amazon product ASIN B004NQMCDK
Is this possible? And if so, what is the best way to go about doing this? Is it as simple as removing the Dish and mounting the OTA antenna to the existing mast? What extra equipment would I need?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_4560.JPG

One caveat about that antenna, it is not very well made and may not last very long. Also check the pole size and make sure it is compatible.

Check into traditional, unamplified antennas for similar prices, small short range, same size , maybe cheaper.

Post your TVFool.com report and we can advise you. Use your exact address (it does not show on the report) for greater accuracy.

All of your network channels are just slightly north of west from you at 15 miles, all UHF, so a 2 bay UHF bow-tie type antenna like the AntennaCraft U2000 at $24.99; Solid Signal Xtreme HDB2X at $29.99; AntennasDirect SR15 at $39.99 or a small yagi like the AntennaCraft MXU47 at $49.99. Any of these should be small enough to be mountable on the dish j-pole.

If you wish to get other channels listed in the report but further away, you go to a 4 or 8 bay bow-tie type or a larger yagi, but with the larger antenna comes a larger price.

To the south west there is a CBS station on channel 12 that would recommend adding VHF capability to an antenna if you need to receive it, but that's the only VHF channel within range.

Would it be possible to get all stations listed, excluding grey ones, if I had a certain antenna?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

You can possibly receive those channels listed down to a dBNM of 0 (the fifth column) with a large enough antenna plus a pre-amp and a rotator, since they are in various directions.

There is only one VHF channel in that list, CBS on Channel 12, so to get all but Channel 12 you could use an 8 bay bow-tie or an AntennasDirect 91-XG yagi plus a good low noise pre-amp.

If you really want channel 12 you can add a VHF-high band like the AntennaCraft Y10713 and join it with either a UHF/VHF pre-amp or a UVSJ (UHF/VHF signal joiner).

Would you be able to recommend a pre-amp and a rotator?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I am not familiar with rotators, you might read through some of the other discussions, or perhaps someone else could chime in.

Pre-amps, look at the Winegard HDP-269, since you have fairly strong local signals, you don't want to overload your tuner and lose all reception with a super duper pre-amp.

There is a good forum over at www dot digitalhome dot ca/forum/showthread.php?t=42426 that covers amps and pre-amps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)