OTA Antenna Question

mysgaccount

Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
Can someone please give me a suggestion for a good indoor OTA HD antenna? I have looked antennaweb. It says that the farthest tower from my location is 9.5 miles.

Also, is it possible to connect an indoor antenna to two tvs? Or will i have to buy two indoor antennas?

thanks in advance.

yes... I have an attic. I've looked on the web and can't find a good site that has installation instructions.

If his farthest tower is 9.5 miles he might be fine with a CM4221 instead of a CM4228. I have the CM4228 hitting towers 42 miles away and getting 90-100% signal strength. He also doesn't say if the towers are all in the same direction. If they're scattered about he may want to look at an omnidirectional rather than a directional antenna. At 9.5 miles he shouldn't need much of an antenna and getting TOO much antenna could be as bad as not enough. :)

just my 2 cents.

how can i find out if the towers are in the same direction? do i have to look at compass orientation?

antennaweb shows 7 digital channels, and here is the compass orientation:

how can i find out if the towers are in the same direction? do i have to look at compass orientation?

If you entered your address on Antennaweb, you should get a street view map that will show you the antenna directions. If by chance you are using Firefox, use IE. A little quirky with the fox.

"Orientation" and "direction" mean the same thing

Last edited:
If his farthest is 9.5 miles he could probably easily get his OTA stuff.

My very first attempt at getting HD OTA was by using an old FM dipole from a stereo I had out in the garage, stuck to a 75-300ohm transformer using alligator clips and scotch tape. I was getting watchable OTA at 42 miles. And the ones that are 7 miles from me were perfect. :) The ones from 42 miles have a couple of weaker ones so while watchable, they had occasional stutters and pixelation.

That TV has a Silver Sensor on it now and it performs marvelously. :)

I mounted a Wineguard GS2200 on top of the pole for my DISH and am receiving over 30 Chicago locals, and I'm about 35 miles west of downtown. It looks like a wing, and it has an amplifier. THe only channel it misses is Channel 2, which hardly anyone can pickup.

Make sure you use good quality cable from the ant to the receiver. I had been having issues with my antenna in my attic only getting about 60-70% signal, with lots of drops. Turns out I was loosing a bunch of signal because I had a coupler and two cables, changed it out to a single cable of the proper length and I'm now at 99% on every channel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)