OTA Antenna question

mailman390

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
Connecticut
Has anyone used or know about the A-Neutronics AV-891 outdoor HDTV/UHF/VHF antenna. It's cheap ($35) and comes with a bulit-in pre-amp and rotor. Supposedly has a range up to 50 miles (over flat terrain). They have them (new in box) on Ebay. Anyway, I've already tried the SilverSensor with no luck. I live near the coast in CT. AntennaWeb shows I need either a medium or large antenna. (blue or purple) Will the A-Neutronics work for me?

a good ant like the CM 4228 cost $60 and good CM amp is around $60 the CM rotor is about $60 now do you think a much smaller off brand thing is going to work for $35???

I think if you read the sellers feedback on eBay you will see that it is a good antenna and everyone likes it. I use it at my house for HDTV and it works excellent. The selling price of any product does not reflect the quality. A-Neutronics is the manufactuer so you are buying direct.
Just my thoughts.

mailman390 said:
Has anyone used or know about the A-Neutronics AV-891 outdoor HDTV/UHF/VHF antenna. It's cheap ($35) and comes with a bulit-in pre-amp and rotor. Supposedly has a range up to 50 miles (over flat terrain). They have them (new in box) on Ebay. Anyway, I've already tried the SilverSensor with no luck. I live near the coast in CT. AntennaWeb shows I need either a medium or large antenna. (blue or purple) Will the A-Neutronics work for me?
Did you buy the antenna from A-Neutronics? The buyers feedback on this item is all good.

i have the a-neutronics in my attic on a tri-pod. it does a better job than the channelmaster4228 that voom installed on my roof...the only drawback is that i can't see the antenna location without peeking into my attic.

I think jjobin should have mentioned that he IS "A-Neutronics". Just ordered one partially based on this thread thinking that he was an unbiased user. I hope I'm not disappointed. I'll post my findings once received and installed. I could be wrong, maybe it's great, but until then, I think you'd have to take his advice with a grain of salt.

snaggerbob said:
i have the a-neutronics in my attic on a tri-pod. it does a better job than the channelmaster4228 that voom installed on my roof...the only drawback is that i can't see the antenna location without peeking into my attic.
The only way it would outpreform a 4228 is if the 4228 was not pointed at TV tower or you did not hook up the cable to your stb

the 4228 did a better job once i amplified it and added a rotor. i moved the a-neutronics to the garage and it does a fairly good job mounted from the ceiling. one problem i've had with it is that the remote will not redirect the antenna with any consistancy. it has 2 buttons on the remote but one time it will move it one way and the next time it may move it another way. if jjobin is a-neutronics i would appreciae an awswer from him on this problem.t

snaggerbob said:
the 4228 did a better job once i amplified it and added a rotor. i moved the a-neutronics to the garage and it does a fairly good job mounted from the ceiling. one problem i've had with it is that the remote will not redirect the antenna with any consistancy. it has 2 buttons on the remote but one time it will move it one way and the next time it may move it another way. if jjobin is a-neutronics i would appreciae an awswer from him on this problem.t

The 2 buttons are not indicative of antenna rotation. They aren’t even marked for a specific direction.

Hi everyone, sorry for not posting sooner. I have since mounted the A-Neutronics antenna in my attic. It works very well! Much better than the others I tried previously. I can get about 10-15 channels with it. Most being between 40 and 60 miles away! I am very happy with this antenna. With my results, for the money, it can't be beat!

How far from the towers are you? Are they in the same direction? I had success with mine in the attic also except for local CBS which is a differant direction and about 60 miles away. It is inconveniant if you have to rotate the antenna since it randomly turns and your not able to observe it in the attic. I agree it is a good antenna for the money.

I got this antenna after a lot of thinking. I have 2 discones, and a yagi. I put it together, set it up on my porch on a strong camera tripod, and was blown away by it. It was out preforming my other antennas on my roof. I was getting VHF state police repeaters about 80 miles away. UHF links from 3 to 4 counties away. I don't know about TV reception, but my scanner has a TV button on it, and it picks up 13 channels. Before i could get 2 to 3 on a cloudy night. Also great for 900mhz. and 2.4 mhz. phone reception, even though it is good for 40-860mhz. according to the instructions. I will be putting it on my roof soon. For the money you can't go wrong. I'm just still trying to figure out how this antenna with such a simple design works so well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts