OTA Antenna setup question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

spacenerd

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
Wapakoneta, Ohio
I live in Wapakoneta, Ohio. I currently have an antenna mounted on my roof and before winter hits I am planning on putting the antenna on a tower. This what I am am proposing to do. My main antenna is the Terrestrial Digital XG91 ( this is what I am currently using) and I am using that with a rotor. I would use that to view stations in Ft. Wayne, Dayton and Columbus. I am adding a stationary Winegard HD 9075P and point it north to pickup the low powered Lima stations and Bowling Green PBS stations. I would use a signal combiner and feed both into a Channel Master 7777 preamp.
Will this set up work or would or does someone have a better idea.
Thanks
Spacenerd

Well, when you use a simple combiner on two different antennas, half of the signal goes to your TV and the other half is radiated out the other antenna.

However your signals are fairly strong and nearby, so it might work.

Digital TV reception is more of an art than a science, so if you do some preliminary calculations then it's experiment time.

Your main problem may be overload if you use the preamp indicated, WTLW is already at 57dB and if you punch it up another 28 that puts you in the extreme vicinity of tuner overload.

Since the LD signals nearby are also UHF, why not use just the one antenna with rotor.

If you use the second antenna I recommend you skip the combiner and use an RF switch instead.

I think I'd find a rotor and use with one antenna also. I live east of Cincinnati and have an old rotor I've used for years. Dayton, Cincy, and PBS 54 in Kentucky aren't a problem.

Ok, so I moved my antenna setup from my rooftop to a tower that is 30' tall. My setup is now one antenna (Terrestrial Digital XG91) a rotor and a Channel Master 7777 amp( the one I used before). With my old setup I was getting a strong signal for channels 2, 22 and 45 out of Dayton and strong signals out of FT. Wayne but was getting a very weak signal out of channel 7 in Dayton. Now with my new setup I am getting just the opposite. Very strong signal from channel 7 Dayton and very weak signals from the rest.
It is making me scratch my head on this one. Does anyone have any ideas on this?
Thanks,
Spacenerd

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)