OTA Antenna signal low. Can I use a higher spec'ed "power inserter"

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cableuser001

Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Hi,
Below is my setup . This is regarding amplifying signal.

DTV Box: DTV Pal converter box
Antenna: Phillips MANT940 antenna

For the antenna, there is a "Power Inserter" which I chose to place close to the TV, just because I don' t want to run a power line outside into the balcony.

This setup works fine, however some channels are weak. The power inserter is "6volts and 100mA".

My question:
I found a power inserter which has a rating of 12V and 250mA. Does it help to boost the signal?

I understand the concept of pre-amp and S/N ratio. However, for my setup, where I can't do a pre-amplifying, does increasing the specs of power inserter improve the signal? If so, by how much. Right now, I have some channels at 40-45% signal strength. I would like them to be atleast 70%, for hassle free viewing.

Below is the power inserter I am considering. Any suggestions.

Thanks.

Antennacraft Antenna PS10 Power Inserter Supply 12V 12 V with Diplexer 12 VDC In-Line Injector Aerial Amplifier Coaxial Cable Video Signal, 250 mA, Class 2 Electrical Transformer, PS10, Part # DV-12225S
[AMPS10] $12.95

Antennacraft Antenna PS10 Power Inserter Supply 12V 12 V with Diplexer 12 VDC In-Line Injector Aerial Amplifier Coaxial Cable Video Signal, 250 mA, Class 2 Electrical Transformer, PS10, Part # DV-12225S
Item No.: AMPS10
This Power Inserter allows you to add power to your current video line from the amplifier to your TV.
Specifications:

* Plug In Class 2 Transformer
* Input: 120VAC 60Hz 8.4W
* Output: 12VDC 250mA
* Coaxial Cable In-Line Power Injector

Source: Antennacraft Antenna PS10 Power Inserter Supply 12V 12 V with Diplexer 12 VDC In-Line Injector Aerial Amplifier Coaxial Cable Video Signal, 250 mA, Class 2 Electrical Transformer, PS10, Part # DV-12225S: Oak Entertainment Centers and Home Office Furn

Couldn't include the link.

Think of a flashlight if it runs on 2 1.5 volt batteries and you connect it to 4 batteries you will get a brighter light for a few seconds before the extra voltage burns out the bulb.

Your only solution is a better antenna. The antenna you have is already using a pre amp. that is what you are powering so you need more signal to amplify.

Hi,
Thanks for your replies.

I tried to make my own antenna with coat hangers and was able to pull the big four networks easily, which were being transmitted from about 15 miles at 1MW. However I was not able to pull in another channel, which I care about, and is at the same distance but at 125KW (CW).

Now, the smaller Phillips MANT940 with a power inserter was successful in getting me CW channel but not the DIY coat hanger antenna without any power inserter. As I mentioned earlier, both DIY and Phillips antenna were giving me a good signal (about 85%) on the big 4 channels.

Doesn't it mean that, apart from the antenna the amplification also plays a good part?

A bulb rated at 6V might be dim with 2x1.5V battery, but will be brighter and will run at its full rated spec. when you connect 4x1.5V battery. So, my question is, what decides the power inserter rating for amplifying the signal from an antenna? I believe it has to do something with the length of cable I am using (about 8 feet). Any technical explanations?

Any suggestions?

Have you gone to TVFool to get the proper direction to point the antenna? To get that 125KW station, you will need a lot of height and probably a larger antenna. Will this station still be at 125KW post-transition?

It is not at a height. Probably at around 15 ft above ground. The analog of this station is at 1MW and digital is at 125KW. Probably they would move the digital to 1MW after Feb 09.

Have you gone to TVFool to get the proper direction to point the antenna? To get that 125KW station, you will need a lot of height and probably a larger antenna. Will this station still be at 125KW post-transition?

A bulb rated at 6V might be dim with 2x1.5V battery, but will be brighter and will run at its full rated spec. when you connect 4x1.5V battery. So, my question is, what decides the power inserter rating for amplifying the signal from an antenna? I believe it has to do something with the length of cable I am using (about 8 feet). Any technical explanations?

Any suggestions?

The power rating is decided by the designer of the amplifier in the antenna. The designer chooses various electrical components and then supplies power to place these devices at their operating limits.

If the design is good and robust, the designer would have protected the power supply with something called zener diodes and a resistor network that would have limited input voltage. If this was done, the slightly higher voltage wouldn't hurt anything, but it also wqouldn't gain you anything.

However, the designers of consumer goods have as their top three goals; Reduce cost, reduce cost and reduce cost. Don't use a 6 volt part in a 5 volt circuit because it would cost an extra penny. Use a 4 volt part instead and figure the manufacturer put in a little margin you can cheat.

I have had a 50% fialure rate out of the box with these amplifiers over the last ten years and a failure rate near 100% after 1 year of use. When I open th4em up, I find cardboard circuit boards with traces spray painted on, 28 gauge wire, cold solder joints, etc. I am amazed anything works at all.

If you want something to work, do as everyone else has suggested and get a better antenna, preferably a mid range yagi. Aim it at the CW station. You likely won't need any amplifier, and it won't cost any more than these cheap set top antennas.

Oops, missed one thing. The power inserter is providing DC voltage. Losses in DC are strictly resistive. If a 12' run is carrying enough resistance to cause a significant voltage drop, you definitely need better co-ax.

I am renting the place and anything like a yagi would be trouble, as I have to convince someone to get this done. If it were up to me, I would have done it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Oops, missed one thing. The power inserter is providing DC voltage. Losses in DC are strictly resistive. If a 12' run is carrying enough resistance to cause a significant voltage drop, you definitely need better co-ax.

I have the same antenna and get like 10 channels over 85%. I live roughly 30 minutes from all stations. I even get some channels from over 50 miles away in Charlotte. I noticed this antenna is VERY VERY sensitive and I've only found this one EXACT position to work really well. I've tried EVERY possible position in pointing the thing. When my budget allows (I've been using that phrase a lot lately, it seems..) or possibly with tax $$, I hope to upgrade.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts