OTA Antenna - suggestions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

GrnMtnMan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
VT
I had an antenna installed when I had my dish(es) installed. It gets really poor reception on just the NBC affiliate. I really like NBC's programs and would like to watch them in HD. Any recommendations on what antenna I should get to replace my current one. I'm not sure what it is. It looks like a plastic square though.

I had an antenna installed when I had my dish(es) installed. It gets really poor reception on just the NBC affiliate. I really like NBC's programs and would like to watch them in HD. Any recommendations on what antenna I should get to replace my current one. I'm not sure what it is. It looks like a plastic square though.

Sounds like the Winegard Crapshooter.

Where is your location and what affiliate are you trying to get?

DTVAntenna TypeCall Sign Channel Network City State LiveDate Compass Orientation Miles From Frequency Assignment
*yellow - uhfWPTZ-DT 5.1 NBC NORTH POLE NY 341° 27.8 14
yellow - uhfWVNY 22 ABC BURLINGTON VT 341° 27.9 22
*yellow - uhfWFFF-DT 44.1 FOX BURLINGTON VT TBD 341° 27.8 43
*yellow - uhfWCAX-DT 3.1 CBS BURLINGTON VT 341° 27.8 53
yellow - uhfWETK 33 PBS BURLINGTON VT 341° 27.8 33
*yellow - uhfWETK-DT 33.1 PBS BURLINGTON VT 341° 27.8 32
yellow - uhfWGMU-CA 39 MNT BARRE VT 181° 4.7 39
green - vhf WCAX 3 CBS BURLINGTON VT 341° 27.8 3
*green - vhf WVNY-DT 22.1 ABC BURLINGTON VT TBD 341° 27.8 13

AntennaWeb is a very good resource, as has been mentioned. However, you may not need as much antenna as they recommend. I certainly didn't. Of course, YMMV.

For my location to receive the UHF digitals (they broadcast in very low power in Denver), AntennaWeb said I needed: Outdoor, Large Directional, with Preamp (i.e., a "violet zone" antenna).

However, what I already had installed, and which works perfectly (for me!) for all these digital stations is much less than recommended: Channel Master CM3016, inside attic mounted (with foil lined siding), medium directional, no amp, aimed 50 degrees west of where it should be.

I didn't intentionally point the antenna in the wrong direction ... it's pointed where the analogs broadcast from. This is where the digitals will eventually be broadcast from too, come 2009. But for now our digitals are low power only, broadcasting from temporary facilities elsewhere.

A very good website in Canada has a nice FAQ on OTA antennas and reception: OTA Forum Knowledge Base & FAQ - Digital Forum

Also, go over to AVS Forum -> Forums -> Local HDTV Info and Reception -> the first sticky thread "United States THREAD INDEX" and find the thread for your local area to see what your neighbors are using.

It appears that for UHF only (maybe some upper VHF as well), you see CM4221 and CM4228 recommended frequently. Also the DB4. Moving to a Yagi style antenna, the Radio Shack U-75R pops up frequently too, probably the combination of it's reported good performance and ready availability locally. I do not have any personal experience with these particular antennas. I found out about them by doing research. I've only used my attic-mounted CM3016 which works perfectly for me, but might not be a top recommendation in general (probably depends on your area though).

...It gets really poor reception on just the NBC affiliate...
Can you be more specific on "really poor"? Digital broadcasts are either there, or they aren't. Picture quality should be great, or non-existent. There's really no middle ground to speak of. I want to make sure you're tuning in a digital station, not an analog one. The only way you can get HD is digitally.

To make sure you're looking at your local NBC in digital, tune your TV to channel 14.1. Channel 5 would be your analog NBC. Channel 5.1 will also be your digital NBC, but only after your TV has first tuned to 14.1 and picked up the PSIP info that maps 14.1 to 5.1

Can you be more specific on "really poor"? Digital broadcasts are either there, or they aren't. Picture quality should be great, or non-existent. There's really no middle ground to speak of. I want to make sure you're tuning in a digital station, not an analog one. The only way you can get HD is digitally.

To make sure you're looking at your local NBC in digital, tune your TV to channel 14.1. Channel 5 would be your analog NBC. Channel 5.1 will also be your digital NBC, but only after your TV has first tuned to 14.1 and picked up the PSIP info that maps 14.1 to 5.1

I would define my CBS as really poor. By that, I mean that it cuts in and out throughout the program (probably 10 times during one 1 hour program last night).

Geoff

"Cuts in and out" definitely sounds like the "digital cliff". Moving your antenna, or repointing it from it's current location, or buying a better antenna, or adding an amplifier, or getting rid of excess splitters, or making sure all your cable connections are tight ... all might help. Try the simpler (and no cost) things first.

GNASH, are you the same person as GrnMtnMan? I think we have different people with possibly different problems here.

I would define my CBS as really poor. By that, I mean that it cuts in and out throughout the program (probably 10 times during one 1 hour program last night).

Geoff

Nope we're different but that's what I meant. It cuts out frequently or just doesn't pick up at all. The digital strength is over 70 (72, 73) when it tunes but it's intermittent at best. I'm just wondering if I upgrade my antenna if I'll be able to almost guarantee reception on NBC?

"Cuts in and out" definitely sounds like the "digital cliff". Moving your antenna, or repointing it from it's current location, or buying a better antenna, or adding an amplifier, or getting rid of excess splitters, or making sure all your cable connections are tight ... all might help. Try the simpler (and no cost) things first.

I had the whole thing set up professionally. I think that there is only one splitter in place for the whole setup but I'm not positive on that. All of my other OTA HD is solid, just NBC that is problematic.

No matter where you live or how far away you are, the Channel Master 4228 is always a good choice. I have one myself. I live about 70 miles from broadcast towers and I get most channels just fine. You will need a pre-amp though for such distances. Anything under about 30 miles and you should be ok without an amp. It looks like the majority of your stations are all in the same direction, so a rotor should not be required. Try Solid Signal | DIRECTV® Systems, HDTV Antennas, DISH Network, satellite equipment and home entertainment supplies & accessories. That's where I got both my antenna and amp. Good products, good shipping. That's what I would recommend.

Nope we're different but that's what I meant. It cuts out frequently or just doesn't pick up at all. The digital strength is over 70 (72, 73) when it tunes but it's intermittent at best. I'm just wondering if I upgrade my antenna if I'll be able to almost guarantee reception on NBC?
I am no expert on this. I've just gone through the same stuff myself, and did lots of research and learning.

(1) First, there are no guarantees.

(2) Repointing or moving your current antenna may be all you need. But if it was professionally installed I'd hope that the installer pointed it as best as possible using a signal meter, so you may not be able to improve on that, without moving it to a new location. Your installer may have chosen the location based on best convenience for him, not best reception for you.

(3) Your AntennaWeb data shows all your digital stations are coming from the same broadcast location (341 degress), so if you're aimed for ABC, then you're also aimed for NBC, CBS, etc. Slightly varying antenna direction around that 341 degrees might still help though.

(4) Your signal strength readings are meaningless to compare against anyone but yourself. You can use them for your own fine tuning, but they're apples and oranges when compared to mine. For example, I show a 50% strength on one channel and it's been perfectly fine for me so far, but yet 70% is failing for you. Time will tell if 50% is really good enough for me - I've only had the set for a few days now. But the point is, my 70% cannot be judged against your 70% in any meaningful way.

(5) I would check your signal strength on all your channels. Are they all around 70%, or is NBC lower? (maybe it's broadcasting at lower power)

I had the whole thing set up professionally.
I would call your installer. Ask if NBC is a problem in your area generally. If not, get them back out to your house. You'd hope they would warrant their installation. If they say it is a general problem, ask them what to do about it. If they recommend a better antenna, ask them why they didn't use that better antenna in the first place (tough to do if you personally chose the antenna without their guidance). In other words, put a little pressure on them if the situation calls for it. I personally wouldn't pay for a half-working installation, unless they informed you up front that NBC would be a problem.

I'm just wondering if I upgrade my antenna if I'll be able to almost guarantee reception on NBC?
Nobody guarantees reception, but Radio Shack lets you return antennas that do not do what you need (ask the specific store to make sure). Go buy their U-75R for $29 and test it out. Don't mount it, just stand around near where you would mount it, and point it by hand to see if it's functional for you (start with a compass to give you general direction). You'll need a helper to watch your TV and read signal strength numbers to you. You're shooting to better that 70% you're currently seeing on NBC.

Since the Antennaweb.org return shows NBC to be one of your strongest signals, I'd bet you've got a case of multi-path (digital ghosting) on your hands.

You need a more directional antenna. Since almost everything is in the 341 deg direction, I'd try the Radio Shack U75-R for a starter, it's only $30 at Radio Shack, a whale of a deal on a pretty nice little yagi corner reflector.

I have one myself. See it just above the left hand dish in my avitar.

GNASH, are you the same person as GrnMtnMan? I think we have different people with possibly different problems here.

Our issues that we have are known issues of one particular local station who is broadcasting with very low wattage, so no one gets a decent signal from them. Just wanted to give some perspective on what "Cuts in and out" could mean as that is what ours did and that would be my description.

Thanks for the ideas though.
Geoff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)