OTA antenna wiring from DTV setup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bebop

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 5, 2008
Idaho
Now that we no longer have DirecTV, is there a simple way to get a good signal from an OTA antenna to two HDTV locations? No wiring has changed, just had to return the receivers. Had the Swim setup (single wire). I'd like to at least get a good signal to one TV. Tried disconnecting the dish and wiring in an OTA home made antennae on the roof but got no channels on the tuner. Also tried using the dish, same result, no signal but it points away from the locals from the nearest mountain sites. Please advise.

I do have some DirecTV Swim splitters in the middle between the TV and the antenna/old dish location (2 or 3). We were wired for 3 receivers and only used 2 at a time.

Any help would be awesome! Don't know why I wouldn't get a signal from my home made when I do with it wired indoors one one TV directly. Maybe the distance is too great and there is no gain on the antenna and too many splitters. I could try from the roof directly into one TV, but its icy on there now and would have to wait. Trying to come up with a workable plan and would like to reuse as much as possible and not pay a ton if possible. My diy antenna is the coat hangar with wired to coax small transformer in the middle. Thinking about buying one off craigslist instead but thought the wiring might be the issue.

Now that we no longer have DirecTV, is there a simple way to get a good signal from an OTA antenna to two HDTV locations? No wiring has changed, just had to return the receivers. Had the Swim setup (single wire). I'd like to at least get a good signal to one TV. Tried disconnecting the dish and wiring in an OTA home made antennae on the roof but got no channels on the tuner. Also tried using the dish, same result, no signal but it points away from the locals from the nearest mountain sites. Please advise.

I do have some DirecTV Swim splitters in the middle between the TV and the antenna/old dish location (2 or 3). We were wired for 3 receivers and only used 2 at a time.

Any help would be awesome! Don't know why I wouldn't get a signal from my home made when I do with it wired indoors one one TV directly. Maybe the distance is too great and there is no gain on the antenna and too many splitters. I could try from the roof directly into one TV, but its icy on there now and would have to wait. Trying to come up with a workable plan and would like to reuse as much as possible and not pay a ton if possible. My diy antenna is the coat hangar with wired to coax small transformer in the middle. Thinking about buying one off craigslist instead but thought the wiring might be the issue.
Where are you located a www.tvfool.com or at least a zip code would tell us what is available. Are you using ATSC tuners built into your tvs?

7,9,10 are high VHF channels the rest are UHF Solid Signal has had Winegard HD 1080 from $29.99 a small VHF/UHF antenna that should work easily at 15 mi. From the roof run 1 coax to a TV set without splitters you can use splices (F81) if needed after that is working then you can try splitters.

Reactions: FaT Air
That splitter should work. Repeating what boba says: Make it work to one television first, then split to others. That is the ultimate test to see if the splitters are OK.
the HD 1080 should work well. Your 'coat hanger' DIY is UHF only but may work somewhat on the upper VHF (10-13), can only try it to know for sure,

I took out the splitters and wired straight through and get all but channel 6.1-6.3 locals (which I don't need). Didn't have to spend a lot or rewire much, but want to try to get it to another TV. When the weather is better I'll try rewiring to the basement feed on the roof. Both locations worked straight through. Wouldn't mind getting a more appropriate outdoor antenna for long term.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)