OTA Antenna with a Dish VIP722 Reciever

mcasdorph

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
WV, USA
I bought one FP-9000 Antenna a while back and had a question, I've been trying to run the OTA signal into my Dish VIP722 receiver that has a OTA Tuner built into it, I believe it works running into that OTA port fine. What I'm having problems with is trying to use one cable for the entry, when I use a SAT/UHF combiner and bring it to a single cable and once inside using another to split the signals/cables it doesn't appear that the UHF signal is coming through from the antenna, is there interference from the satellite feed that would cause it not to come through? The reason I ask this is because I know there is power from the box sent to the motor on the antenna and since the satellite signal is coming through too, maybe its affecting the way the UHF signal is outputted.

I'm hoping someone can help me figure this out, I really would hate to run two cables to inside.

Also, I was kinda torn on where to post this since it involved both OTA and DISH which both have their own forum.

I bought one FP-9000 Antenna a while back and had a question, I've been trying to run the OTA signal into my Dish VIP722 receiver that has a OTA Tuner built into it, I believe it works running into that OTA port fine. What I'm having problems with is trying to use one cable for the entry, when I use a SAT/UHF combiner and bring it to a single cable and once inside using another to split the signals/cables it doesn't appear that the UHF signal is coming through from the antenna, is there interference from the satellite feed that would cause it not to come through? The reason I ask this is because I know there is power from the box sent to the motor on the antenna and since the satellite signal is coming through too, maybe its affecting the way the UHF signal is outputted.

I'm hoping someone can help me figure this out, I really would hate to run two cables to inside.

Also, I was kinda torn on where to post this since it involved both OTA and DISH which both have their own forum.
Can you draw us a little diagram?

Hopefully this will explain my setup.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 1,118
Do you have special diplexers for the FP-9000 that pass voltage on all legs?
The other suggestion is buy a real TV antenna instead of the Chinese 150 mile dream.

The satellite input should only be going to the two Sat inputs. The TV2 is an output.

The satellite input should only be going to the two Sat inputs. The TV2 is an output.

I know, the output TV2 runs a UHF signal back into the wiring so you can run it in into another room and hook the wire directly to a 2nd TV without a second receiver having to be in the room, I had it hooked up in case I decided to run a 2nd TV since its a dual receiver. I wondered if maybe that TV2 UHF signal was interfering, but its probably a power issue with the diplexer as stated above.

Do you have special diplexers for the FP-9000 that pass voltage on all legs?
The other suggestion is buy a real TV antenna instead of the Chinese 150 mile dream.
I am only interested in 1 channel, that was the reason I didn't fork out more money for a regular aerial antenna, WOWK has a subchannel that is a Dopplar Radar, we use that for quick weather information when were outside the house in case storms are coming, the thing is DISH carries the first channel but not the subchannel so that is all I'm trying to pick up extra, My dad has a Aerial antenna going to his OTA set-top box, but putting a splicer into that and running that to my setup cause much signal loss? My Dish and his antenna are probably 30 ft apart.

What happens without the amplifier? I always thought it powered the rotator instead of amplifying the signal.

I'm not sure, seemed like I didn't have signal without the amp, I've had cheap RCA brand stuff before with built in amplifiers and they never worked until you plug it in, which is stupid IMO. I think its a scheme to make people think its increasing the signal, when it reality its probably cutting the signal off until you plug it in, because those plastic case antennas never seemed to put out a signal until its plugged in, I know I wouldn't have a way to turn it unless I went outside and done it manually, but I'm pretty sure it does give a signal without the adapter in the wall and box turned on.

Usually the only way you can use a powered OTA antenna is if you use a separate wire for it.

The diplexer only passes voltage on the SAT side so your OTA isn't getting any voltage according to your diagram. The only way I can see your configuration working is if you somehow put the OTA power outside between the OTA antenna and the first diplexer.

My 2 cents on this is your setup will not work. If you break it down , on the dish line you send voltage from receiver to dish (lnb) and then signal from dish (lnb) to receiver. On the ant (tv) line you send voltage from power box/controller to ANT and then signal from ANT to power box/controller then TV. You can not have voltage/power for to different devices on the same line. If you use a non powered tv ant your setup would work.

My 2 cents on this is your setup will not work. If you break it down , on the dish line you send voltage from receiver to dish (lnb) and then signal from dish (lnb) to receiver. On the ant (tv) line you send voltage from power box/controller to ANT and then signal from ANT to power box/controller then TV. You can not have voltage/power for to different devices on the same line. If you use a non powered tv ant your setup would work.

I wondered about that, because I knew power went to the LNB, I guess I'll tie into my dads aerial and run it to the diplexer. Thanks for the input everyone.

I wondered about that, because I knew power went to the LNB, I guess I'll tie into my dads aerial and run it to the diplexer. Thanks for the input everyone.
Take both diplexers out of the loop and run one lead from the OTA antenna to the DVR OTA port and see if it works. If it does then you will know there is some kind of diplexer issue.

Take both diplexers out of the loop and run one lead from the OTA antenna to the DVR OTA port and see if it works. If it does then you will know there is some kind of diplexer issue.
I'll do it real quick and see

EDIT: Yeah, it works straight from the antenna to the box and then to the OTA port (single line w/o diplexers),

I'll do it real quick and see

EDIT: Yeah, it works straight from the antenna to the box and then to the OTA port (single line w/o diplexers),
It appears your issue is because of what was stated in post #12 and #13. I don't think you will be able to use diplexers, will need a separate coax for your OTA antenna or use a non motorized model.

Reactions: JSheridan
It appears your issue is because of what was stated in post #12 and #13. I don't think you will be able to use diplexers, will need a separate coax for your OTA antenna or use a non motorized model.

Yeah, I just put a splitter on my dads aerial and ran them in to the diplexers to come in with my dish cable and I can get the channel I was wanting and it hasn't lost any signal on his, so I'll just do it like that for the time being.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)