ota antenna

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tommyboy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2004
If i got the biggest ota antenna there is how far north or west can i pick up stations? I am in sunrise fl 33323

Depends.

On elevation, line of sight (no big obstructions), how tall your house is, how strong the station broadcasts are, which way the antenna is facing.... ;)

Under the right conditions. On roof, no obstructions.. 60-70 mIles at most. More than likely you get closer to 55 miles or so. As always there are exceptions.

I remember someone in the Voom forum about a year ago receiving Tampa stations with an amplified antenna. Being in Sunrise, you should be able to get all the Miami, Lauderdale and Palm Beach stations with a high-end antenna.

I was looking at that site just the other day. It gave me a list of channels that knocked my socks off. Way too many and some too far away for me to actually get them. As far as choosing the right antenna goes, it depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for a good deep fringe with VHF/UHF reception you could go with the Channel Master 3020 with a Channel Master pre-amp 7777. If you are looking for UHF only, the Channel Master 4428 with a Channel Master 7775 pre-amp may be the way to go. I have the 3020 with a pre-amp. and it works quite well from about 40 miles from the Empire State Building. You may also want to consider a rotor, should you have channels in different directions. I hope that helps.........Rich

you don't need that great of an antenna to pick up Miami, Lauderdale and WPB from plantation. Most Miami and Ft lauderdale stations are at the county line near Pro Player Stadium which is probably no more than 10 miles from you. I think NBC has a tower down in Homestead which you should also be able to pick up. I get all the WPB stations and I live in Coral Spings, about 5 -7 miles north of you. My antenna is about 30 years old and in my attic. It surely isn't high end and is only about 4 ft long. Being so flat in So FL it is easy to get the stations. Tampa would probably be a stretch no matter what antenna you use unless you are getting some sort of bounce off the atmosphere.

Tommyboy said:

Ok, here it is:
1.) Get Lat/long. here:
http://geography.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=geography&zu=http://www.geocode.com/modules.php?name=TestDrive_Eagle
2.) Get Magnetic Dec. here:
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/seg/geomag/jsp/struts/calcDeclination;jsessionid=AD2E2C06FC116E34A90545BCBB45F57B
3.) Input range as 100 Miles, clicked to sort by distance, and to add low-power and construction permits. Click show stations, and WOW what a list!
Lots of information, fcc info on link in station column, click transmitter location map to get better idea of which way to point antenna. I've used it before, give it a try...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts