OTA blocked (Media General Station)

It means they would have to run both PSIP from OTA and guide data they already run. Why would they want to have both?
It would be kinda hard to set recordings by PSIP data since the stations are only required to have 12 hours of data. That is just a little short of the 9 days of info DISH gives for the channels they give info for. It would really be nice if DISH would give info for ALL channels in markets they carry a channel in.

It would be kinda hard to set recordings by PSIP data since the stations are only required to have 12 hours of data. That is just a little short of the 9 days of info DISH gives for the channels they give info for. It would really be nice if DISH would give info for ALL channels in markets they carry a channel in.

Agreed. Another limitation with PSIP data is that the DVR would have to tune into each and every station every 12 hours to gather the data. If you're recording a lot on one particular OTA channel, the DVR would either have to interrupt the recordings (impractical) or you would simply start losing guide data on the other OTA channels. They could code in for it to check the PSIP data when you're not recording and not watching live TV OTA, but is it really worth the effort? They seem to have a hard enough time squashing the various GUI/background bugs without wasting effort on coding in PSIP compatibility as it is.

Would there be problems integrating PSIP? Absolutely. In my opinion however, navigating through the PSIP problems is better than NO GUIDE DATA AT ALL, which is what happens when there is a dispute. Obviously, if guide data is available, that should be used.

Was there an answer or resolution to the OP original concern that OTA is being blocked by Dish? I see a DIRT response that DISH was not doing it before the thread goes off the rails.

I have two Dish accounts and my local MG NBC is blocked via sat but OTA works fine. Most likely OP either had bad reception or some sort of glitch.

It means they would have to run both PSIP from OTA and guide data they already run. Why would they want to have both?

That's not what I wrote! I wrote "EEPG" not "PSIP". My proposal was to leave the satellite-delivered EEPG on the OTA channels, since they are unaffected by retransmission disputes, but change the EEPG for blacked-out satellite channels to 'Important Info".

That's not what I wrote! I wrote "EEPG" not "PSIP". My proposal was to leave the satellite-delivered EEPG on the OTA channels, since they are unaffected by retransmission disputes, but change the EEPG for blacked-out satellite channels to 'Important Info".

Well, for one thing each individual station has a different number to call, also as previously mentioned in this thread it might not be in Dish's best interest to leave the EEPG data there.

Please forgive my ignorance :) I'm new to sat tv. Just got dish vip211k recvr and winegard anser carryout dish/antenna for my RV. I've got it working, but limping. What's the best way to learn the basics of satellite selection in location, alternates for obstructions, and how transponders affect reception, if they do?
After days searching the web, dish and winegard tech support, Im missing how it all fits together! in reading your forum, it appears many of you are experts, and I hope one of you will point me in the right direction.
Man to men: I'm hosting a big tailgate in Tallahassee this weekend, and I don't want to be the guy with a tree to the south and no game on for my guests! Right now, I'm in Panama City, and can only pick up satellite 110 with NO ESPN. ANY HELP APPRECIATED

Welcome to the forum! You would get more eyes on your question if you started a thread in the main DISH forum rather than in a specific thread that has nothing to do with your question. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks here (sadly I'm not one of them) about what you are asking and I'm sure your tailgate can be saved with their help.

Yeah, PSIP data is very inconsistent, it wouldn't be a simple task to integrate it with the Tribune data.

It would be kinda hard to set recordings by PSIP data since the stations are only required to have 12 hours of data.
For non-DVR receivers, using PSIP data would be fine. For DVR receivers, there's a reason no providers use it -- as pointed out by many of the comments above.

Welcome to the forum! You would get more eyes on your question if you started a thread in the main DISH forum rather than in a specific thread that has nothing to do with your question. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks here (sadly I'm not one of them) about what you are asking and I'm sure your tailgate can be saved with their help.

done :)

Agreed

That is the inherent problem w/ adding PSIP. Just too little time length for a guide.

Would there be problems integrating PSIP? Absolutely. In my opinion however, navigating through the PSIP problems is better than NO GUIDE DATA AT ALL, which is what happens when there is a dispute. Obviously, if guide data is available, that should be used.
When there is a dispute the are not going to supply you the info. That is part of the deal w/ a station the guide data is missing as well as the audio/video. Why should they supply something that circumvents the guide.

Dispute is the word

It's a dispute, so the station is telling them basically you aren't supposed to show any of our data, audio/video on your system. So to provide guide for the OTA would be supplying the data. The simply allow to be a to see the program which is free OTA. The guide data isn't free from dish. And since they don't decode the PSIP due the issues we have discussed then you will not now or most likely ever get guide during the dispute.

When there is a dispute the are not going to supply you the info. That is part of the deal w/ a station the guide data is missing as well as the audio/video. Why should they supply something that circumvents the guide.
Because the customers want it. :D I'm getting the OTA signal, let me use what's included in that signal (PSIP). Yes, it's not ideal, but it's better than nothing.

Dish doesn't want you to be able to get the station when there's a dispute. They want you to miss the channel and to complain to the station to give Dish want it wants. If you can get the station OTA, you're no help to them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

It's a dispute, so the station is telling them basically you aren't supposed to show any of our data, audio/video on your system. So to provide guide for the OTA would be supplying the data.

Dish doesn't buy the EEPG from the channel providers; it comes from Tribune. If Dish has a dispute with Tribune, then I can well imagine guide data going away. But until somebody comes forward with intimate knowledge of a truly ridiculous clause in a carriage contract that prohibits third parties from selling the program guide to Dish, then I have to conclude that you're just making that up. Or are you saying that you have intimate knowledge of these contracts? If so, I'll shut up.

Dish doesn't buy the EEPG from the channel providers; it comes from Tribune. If Dish has a dispute with Tribune, then I can well imagine guide data going away. But until somebody comes forward with intimate knowledge of a truly ridiculous clause in a carriage contract that prohibits third parties from selling the program guide to Dish, then I have to conclude that you're just making that up. Or are you saying that you have intimate knowledge of these contracts? If so, I'll shut up.
Nope I used to be an engineer for TV stations. The data is part of the whole signal. So when the station no longer is being allowed to be reused then it is "understood" that the guide isn't to be used. So if you have something that can pick up the OTA guide you can have the info. But since the sat/OTA receiver doesn't have ability to use the guide coming straight from the station's OTA. Then there should be no guide data supplied to Dish via the middle man. Of course Tribune has it for other providers (like Directv) but it does belong to the station and reuse of the info really is not supposed to be used in any shape, form, or fashion. So dish has no rights to display it in their guide either as sat or OTA. I don't see how that is so hard to understand.

Dish doesn't want you to be able to get the station when there's a dispute. They want you to miss the channel and to complain to the station to give Dish want it wants. If you can get the station OTA, you're no help to them.

I'm thinking no

Where does the info come from for the OTA secondary channels when DISH provides it? They still remain when the main channel is in dispute. I would have thought the station would block all EPG info?

I'd say quite the opposite. The more that can get it OTA the less the impact to DISH. In past years DISH has distributed antennas. Time to buy Aereo stock.