OTA blocked (Media General Station)

Not sure if this has anything to do with anything, but our local Media General Station (WKRG) has lowered power for some reason. Signal that has always come in at 100% is down to the 80-90 % range. Not sure of the reason, unless they are trying to make sure some Dish Customers can't get them via Antenna. Which will make customers more demanding to Dish to get them to cave on negotiations. Lowered Power means areas further out will not get the station reliably.. Or they could just be having a power problem or saving money.. And again this is not the DMA you are in. Just am not putting it past Media General to pull this stunt in ALL DMA's if they thought it would help their case.

Edit.. Although today it seems as though they have turned power back up to full. Might be Tropical Weather coverage or they fixed their problem.

I'm not sure the FCC wold let them do that sort of thing.

Not sure if this has anything to do with anything, but our local Media General Station (WKRG) has lowered power for some reason. Signal that has always come in at 100% is down to the 80-90 % range. Not sure of the reason, unless they are trying to make sure some Dish Customers can't get them via Antenna. Which will make customers more demanding to Dish to get them to cave on negotiations. Lowered Power means areas further out will not get the station reliably.. Or they could just be having a power problem or saving money.. And again this is not the DMA you are in. Just am not putting it past Media General to pull this stunt in ALL DMA's if they thought it would help their case.

Edit.. Although today it seems as though they have turned power back up to full. Might be Tropical Weather coverage or they fixed their problem.

It is most likely they had a stage of the transmitter go down. Digital OTA transmitters have multiple output amps. They work in conjunction to add to output power. If one goes down, you just remove it and get a replacement shipped in to you and put it in to get back up to full power. Few TV stations have a back up amp in stock as they are very pricey. As in the thousands of dollars. One can usually get one in w/in 24 to 48 hrs of calling.

Actually they don't pull the TSID out at all. It stays in there and gives the channel ID info to the unit. They just set a flag to kill (or strip off) the program guide data from the PSIP. You were the one that was saying I was making stuff up. I just proved that I'm not.
Regardless of where the PSIP data gets "pulled" or "filtered", that only happens because DISH wanted it to. The information is still available for Dish to use. They made a decision to not to.

Regardless of where the PSIP data gets "pulled" or "filtered", that only happens because DISH wanted it to. The information is still available for Dish to use. They made a decision to not to.

Back to the it isn't used in the system, EVER. They use Tribune and input it and not the PSIP. It isn't set up to use PSIP in the s/w (probably due to possible conflicts) only thing they use is the indicator page for channel. Why would they activate it during a dispute when they never use it any other time?

Why would they activate it during a dispute when they never use it any other time?
Why would they get rid of guide info for ota module users just because they're in a dispute? Is Tribune giving them a discount by not using that info? If not, then it's just a dickish move on Dish's part.

Back to the it isn't used in the system, EVER. They use Tribune and input it and not the PSIP. It isn't set up to use PSIP in the s/w (probably due to possible conflicts) only thing they use is the indicator page for channel. Why would they activate it during a dispute when they never use it any other time?
As I mentioned earlier... as a PR move for those who can receive the station OTA. Haven't we gotten reports of OTA modules sent to customers at no charge when there's a dispute? Why would they do that? Why did they send Roku's during the AMC dispute?

Technically, the PSIP data is too crappy to be used for DVR purposes, some stations are negligent about maintaining it and it is just too unreliable to be usable for anything.

Use www.titantv.com instead.

Technically, the PSIP data is too crappy to be used for DVR purposes, some stations are negligent about maintaining it and it is just too unreliable to be usable for anything.

Many DTVpal DVR owners would disagree with that assessment. Full disclosure: I don't have a Pal myself.

Use www.titantv.com instead.

Psip works perfectly fine with my Pal dvrs. 48-72 hrs of data from all but 2 local stations. Just give the engineer a call or email if you have problems, many are more than happy to help and make adjustments

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!