OTA Channels Glitch Regularly on Joey

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TangoOversway

Original poster
May 3, 2018
Richmond, VA
I have a Hopper and a Joey set up in my house. At this point, for reasons I'm about to explain, I have both set to not turn off. (Which means, about 4 days a week or more I get notices at 1 AM that the system needs to update or it shuts off to update automatically.) The Joey is upstairs in my study because I work best with background noise, so I like to leave a TV on retro channels, like MeTV, AntennaTV, and so on. I put up an OTA antenna and connected it to the extra tuner that plugs into the Hopper through the USB port.

It didn't take much to make it work and to be able to access those local retro channels through the OTA tuner. (Yes, I know MeTV is now on DISH, it wasn't until just recently.)

The problem is if the Hopper is not being watched and is off and I turn on the Joey and turn it to an OTA channel, I ALWAYS get a kind of glitch or stuttering on the OTA channels. About every 3 seconds there's a small gap in the sound and the image pixelates and kind of freezes (not a solid freeze, like an entire image staying still for a while), and then jumps forward a few frames (probably half a second or so), and then things are normal - for about 3 seconds. I also found this would happen on OTA shows I record, too.

When this happens, if I go downstairs and turn on the Hopper and tune it to the OTA channel I'm watching on the Joey, the stuttering or glitching goes away. When this happened, I changed the Joey to stay on all the time, instead of timing out after 8 hours or so. I tested it by turning a TV connected to the Joey throughout the day to see if the stuttering would stop. In short, I found that it didn't help and, ultimately, I had to stop the Joey and Hopper from timing out.

Whenever the Hopper goes offline, like for the frequent updates (and it seems to time out and go offline more than it needs to), if I try to watch an OTA channel on the Joey, it stutters. The only way to stop the stuttering is if the OTA tuner has been used, even if only for a second or so, on the Hopper since it's turned itself off for any reason.

Does anyone know just why there is that stuttering issue and if there's a work-around other than having both devices in the "always on" setting? (Even that doesn't work if the Hopper goes offline for an update.)

Mine stutters as well all the time with settings normal with nightly updates etc. So its not something unique about your setup. I was shocked when dish was pushing OTA as a viable option to save money etc.

Mine stutters as well all the time with settings normal with nightly updates etc. So its not something unique about your setup. I was shocked when dish was pushing OTA as a viable option to save money etc.

I'm not so shocked. I think it's more of a case of, "Cable offers the extra local channels and we need to so we don't piss people off." Plus, for some of those channels, like MeTV and AntennaTV, it can be tough working out rights and royalty issues due to different markets. I'm still surprised they put MeTV on their lineup.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts