OTA channels not available on TV2? (ViP622)

Don_S

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
I upgraded from a 942 to a 622 a couple of days ago. Since then, I have noticed that I am unable to get any OTA channels on TV2 (I am able to get all the OTA channels on TV1). I am pretty sure that I used to be able to get OTA channels on TV2 on my old 942. Any ideas? (please don't tell me that OTA channels CANNOT be seen on TV2 on the 622:confused: )

When I go into the menu from TV2, the "local channels" item is grayed out and cannot be selected. I am not sure what is going on...:confused:

I don't get my 622 until this Saturday, but I have read a workaround for this issue. You can start a recording on TV1 on an OTA channel and then play it back on TV2.

That is because OTA is an HD tuner only and HD is not sent to TV2. If something is recorded on HD it will be down-converted when sent to TV2.

Bruce

I don't get my 622 until this Saturday, but I have read a workaround for this issue. You can start a recording on TV1 on an OTA channel and then play it back on TV2.

Can the playback be done as soon as the recording is started or should it record for sometime before playback can be started? (like a buffer, maybe?)

Can the playback be done as soon as the recording is started or should it record for sometime before playback can be started? (like a buffer, maybe?)

The way I understand it, by the time you walk to wherever TV2 is, you should have an entry in your recordings list that you should be able to view. I am not sure of the exact time it takes to become available but I suspect it is pretty quick.

Something else to think about, Don. The TV2 coax output can be setup to also output the TV1 signal on a different channel. Somewhere in the 622 setup where you define what channel you want TV2 to be assigned to you also are supposed to be able to define a channel for what is on TV1. So basically, when you are where your TV2 is setup you can watch TV2 stuff on (for example) channel 50 and TV1 on channel 55 (or whatever channels you have defined.)

Now your TV2 remote won't be able to control the channel for TV1 but you can still view whatever channel TV1 is tuned to.

Something else to think about, Don. The TV2 coax output can be setup to also output the TV1 signal on a different channel. Somewhere in the 622 setup where you define what channel you want TV2 to be assigned to you also are supposed to be able to define a channel for what is on TV1. So basically, when you are where your TV2 is setup you can watch TV2 stuff on (for example) channel 50 and TV1 on channel 55 (or whatever channels you have defined.)

Now your TV2 remote won't be able to control the channel for TV1 but you can still view whatever channel TV1 is tuned to.

These are all very good suggestions, but unfortunately, have a WAF (wife acceptance factor) of 0 :D TV2 is in the bedroom and although we mostly watch satellite channels, sometimes we need to tune the local channels for news or weather and hence the need for local OTA channels (I cancelled my locals recently). I have my OTA antenna diplexed with my satellite feed and I *think* that the 622 will pass through the OTA signal to the bedroom (TV2). I will just need to tune TV2 to the OTA channel and get it directly OTA rather than through the TV2 output on the 622. I will try this out when I go home from work tonight. In fact, now that I think about it, that was probably how I was getting the local channels on my 942.

You should really run the numbers and consider the new DVR ADVANTAGE pricing. $49 includes AT200, locals, and dvr fee. ($10 more for AT250. ) The bundled pricing saves $4 so maybe for only $1 more to your current bill you could add locals. That would provide locals via satellite for TV2 as well as guide data for your OTA HD stuff.

A super home node can combine the modulated TV2 and your OTA channels into one cable. You just tune your TV in bedroom to OTA channel or modulated TV2. MAGIC

I have signed up for the America's Everything Pack because I wanted the movie premium channels and the DVR advantage offers no financial benefit with the AEP. I get better PQ on OTA locals than the Sat locals through Dish therefore it was a no brainer to drop the locals thru Dish. In any case, the problem is solved because I was able to confirm that I can receive the OTA antenna signal on TV2 directly, by-passing the 622. The only drawback to this is that I need to switch to the OTA channel number using my TV remote to watch the OTA channels and then switch back to the TV2 output from the 622 to watch Sat channels, but it's a small price to pay to save $5 a month :p

A super home node can combine the modulated TV2 and your OTA channels into one cable. You just tune your TV in bedroom to OTA channel or modulated TV2. MAGIC
I believe I have achieved the same thing without a super home node, by just using a diplexer. The TV2 backfeed from the 622 is diplexed with the OTA antenna signal and fed over a single coax cable (after amplification) to the bedroom, where TV2 is. As I said in my previous post, this allows me to tune to the OTA channels directly on TV2 and I switch back to whatever channel TV2 output from the 622 is set, to watch sat channels. (whew! that was confusing to write :eek: )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)