OTA Channels on HR20-100 VS The H20

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ely

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
Miami, FL
For some reasons I get some OTA channels with my H20 receiver which no matter what I do I cannot get with my HR20-100, the same antenna and setup is being used for both receivers, Does anyone have an idea why this is happening? no matter how many times I scan for new channels the HR20 will never find the missing channels.

At this point I think the HR20-100 is not really scanning for new channels but just displaying something DirecTV has told it to show for my local market.

Thanks in advance.

For some reasons I get some OTA channels with my H20 receiver which no matter what I do I cannot get with my HR20-100, the same antenna and setup is being used for both receivers, Does anyone have an idea why this is happening? no matter how many times I scan for new channels the HR20 will never find the missing channels.

At this point I think the HR20-100 is not really scanning for new channels but just displaying something DirecTV has told it to show for my local market.

Thanks in advance.

Let me guess, the H20 is really an H20-600? If so, it has a much better ota tuner than the HR20-100.

yeah the H20 is a 600, I Finally recovered some of the channels by adding an additional local market to my HR20 ( West Palm Beach Market ) however some local ( mostly religious networks) are still missing.

Im a lot happier now though since I can get the most important channels I was missing, however I wonder why D* limits the HR20 like this. if anyone has any ideas I'm still open to suggestions and thanks to those who tried to help me.

I'm pretty sure the HR20 is just showing OTA channels DirecTV has predefined you should get. The H20 actually will go out and find the OTA channels.

Right, the HR20 doesn't have the capability to scan for OTA channels like the H20. So you have to add them in by adding the second market.

Right, the HR20 doesn't have the capability to scan for OTA channels like the H20. So you have to add them in by adding the second market.

AND, if for some reason D* does NOT have your particular OTA chan/subchan in THEIR list they send out in the data stream, or if the station(s) in question are from a 3rd market, you're SOL. There is NO way to make do an actual "ch scan", like the H20's or even the old HD Tivo's can.

AND, if for some reason D* does NOT have your particular OTA chan/subchan in THEIR list they send out in the data stream, or if the station(s) in question are from a 3rd market, you're SOL. There is NO way to make do an actual "ch scan", like the H20's or even the old HD Tivo's can.

this is the problem I am having. my suggestion was to grab every channel within a 75 mile radius of a zipcode and include all of them. I suggest you email chase.carey@directv.com and voice your displeasure. I emailed and someone from the executive office called, and was supposed to call me back but never did. I am about to email again.

this is the problem I am having. my suggestion was to grab every channel within a 75 mile radius of a zipcode and include all of them. I suggest you email chase.carey@directv.com and voice your displeasure. I emailed and someone from the executive office called, and was supposed to call me back but never did. I am about to email again.

Well considering they are abandoning OTA altogether on their newest HD receivers, I don't think they really give a rat's heiny about it at ALL! :rolleyes: :eek:

I just heard back from another person, who was clueless of course. she said she wasnt sure if they could help me, and of course I said I know it is possible, just add the channels to the database... but she seemed like a deer in the headlights so I didnt push hard. I just said to call me back. Ill have to continue emailing every few weeks until they get it right. I suggest everyone else with this issue do the same.

I just heard back from another person, who was clueless of course. she said she wasnt sure if they could help me, and of course I said I know it is possible, just add the channels to the database... but she seemed like a deer in the headlights so I didnt push hard. I just said to call me back. Ill have to continue emailing every few weeks until they get it right. I suggest everyone else with this issue do the same.

I just got an HR20 today utilizing OTA as well. I am missing a few channels too. Also noticed that the tuner on my TV (Panasonic Plasma) has better signal strength than the HR20 when comparing channels. Few channels have pixalation that are clear on TV.

Just wondering, but can you enter a zipcode overlapped by two service areas and trick the box?

Well, unless I missed something in my setup, it didnt go by zipcode, but by city and state. So that would kill that idea. Correct me if I'm wrong about this. I just find it very odd that what I consider the higher end receiver (the HR20) has a key scanning feature missing that is available in the H20. :confused:

Well, unless I missed something in my setup, it didnt go by zipcode, but by city and state. So that would kill that idea. Correct me if I'm wrong about this. I just find it very odd that what I consider the higher end receiver (the HR20) has a key scanning feature missing that is available in the H20. :confused:

You can place two zip codes in the HR20 to receive data for your DMA and an adjacent one. The HR20 does not actually "scan" for channels but receives channels that the D* database provides (via the zipcodes provided). I believe the H20 actually scans OTA channels.

Not a good thing on the HR20 if the database lacks which it does in some cases from D*

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)