OTA concerns

explorher64

Original poster
Dec 2, 2004
Hey guys,

Gotta say, great info here. And thanks in advance for any help with this.

I called VOOM today with questions about my local OTA and if/what I can receive in my area. I am almost exactly between Indianapolis and Louisville, with Cincinnati pretty much an equal distance to the East of me. After talking to the Voom rep and looking on antennaweb myself, its shows that the only digital channels that I would receive are pretty slim. Pax, WB, TBN, and a CBS out of Louisville.

Here is what I don't understand. I guess antennaweb can be wrong or just giving me limited info, but if its able to pick up CBS out of Lousiville, why isn't it able to pick up all the other locals out of Indy (ABC, NBC, FOX, etc.) Granted, this is with their "entry level" supplied OTA antenna and the upgrade is always available. What I'm concerned about with that, is I'm not really thrilled about having a huge antenna hanging off the side of my house. So what is the best option for me in this case. My zip is 47201 if that helps out any one.

My next question is, does anyone know (the customer rep didn't seem to) if VOOM plans on adding locals directly through their dish anytime soon. This is one thing that seemed appealing to D*(which said that would be available this summer) but w/ the lack of HD and the cost of equipment, right now I'm really interested in VOOM. Any thoughts or answers?

Again, thanks in advance for the help!!

Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure which channels you can get is to try. Personally, I'd have Voom slap up the biggest, ugliest antenna they're willing to pay for up on my house and see who shows up at the OTA party. I would try, try, try to have them install an premium antenna with the original install (they'll probably want to at least try the basic one first), and then if it doesn't work to your satisfaction refuse to sign off on the install and have 'em take it all back. That way, you've lost nothing but time. And if it works and you end up with eleventy-gazillion OTA channels from twelveteen different markets, well then woohoo and welcome to the greatest HD programming in all the land! Good luck :D

Timm:
I don't know about where you live - but around here I would not want to tell a guy who knows where I live and that I own a lot of expensive HDTV gear that he is not going to get paid. Especially after he did everything possible with the gear that VOOM supplied him. Have any of you guys who say you will not sign off on the installation unless it is perfect actually done that? Why not have the installer call VOOM and say the OTA didn't work. Then sign the papers so they guy gets paid and call VOOM for a service call. The installer is going to have to come out again anyway whether you sign or not and that way he is not mad and he gets paid. With the number of service calls that the VOOM equipment requires you do not want the installer as an enemy.
Joseph

Joseph,

Actually, you do know where I'm from. Royal Oak, Michigan. Says so right under my name. I'm between 10 Mile and 11 Mile, a couple miles north of Detroit.

I have every confidence in my ability to defend my property from pilfering satellite installers. Failing that, I'm overinsured anyway. :D

The only way I could get the installer to call Voom and say there was a problem with the OTA was to refuse to sign the papers. I knew - KNEW- I could get all my channels OTA. I'm not gonna get into the install part all over again, but I basically didn't care if this lazy turd had hurt feelings or anger issues. Nor do I feel a guy should be paid if he doesn't do his job. Of course, in my situation the installer did not do "everything possible with the gear that Voom supplied him".

I do see your point regarding explorher's situation, though -- the difference being he's not sure what channels he can get. In that case, it would certainly suck to be the installer. Too bad. There's plenty of things that suck about my job, too. Let the installer take it up with Voom. Remember, I didn't hire the installer -- Voom did. They won't let me try to get their equipment working on my own. It's up to them and him to see that he gets paid. Not my problem.

I'm moving soon and will get to do the install dance all over again. The papers won't be signed until everything's working to my satisfaction.

Timm

Dang.

I just reread my previous post. It came across angrier/crankier than I intended. Basically, I understand your point, jnardone, and it's a valid one. I just don't necessarily agree with it. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)