OTA DVR? Looking to pull the plug on cable....

scott78945

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
I am looking to pull the plug on cable and I have my OTA antenna setup in my attic and I can get all my local channels. However, some of the shows I watch are on after I got to bed. I heard that there were specific DVR's, I think from Tivo, that could work. Walmart had a Magnavox, http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-HDD-DVR-and-DVD-Recorder-with-Digital-Tuner-500GB-with-Bonus-Ematic-HDMI-1080p-Cable-6/26934923. Anyone have any experience with these? What Tivo's should I get? Just looking to DVR some stuff as I have Hulu Plus in place already. Thanks in advance.

Here's the latest and greatest, they are shipping now:

http://www.channelmasterstore.com/DVR_Subscription_Free_DVR_p/cm-7500gb16.htm?Click=32508

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/315289-Channel-Master-and-Echostar-working-on-new-OTA-DVR

You need to buy a usb drive, but you do NOT need to buy one of the ones listed on that page. So you are free to find one cheaper, or use one you already have. This will also need to be connected to your internet to receive a good guide.

Try searching for OTA DVRS recently (last year) Channel master and TiVo OTA dvrs were discussed heavily. Probably in December no earlier than Nov.

What exactly would you be recording? a show every now and then or a workhorse where you will have 2 shows on same time different channels every now and then?

Reason I ask is the item you linked to is basically a digital VCR. Single tuner and everything requires manual timers. Also everything is in SD including HD channels (its downconverted)
If you record something every now and then I'd suggest a Homeworx unit with an add on hard drive. Homeworx is like under $50 and you can add your own drive (and will show a HD station). Single tuner recording unit
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CXAE92K/?tag=satell01-20
there is a big thread at avs also
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion

If you need something more robust either the item primestar posted or a Tivo. Tivo requires a subscription whereas the Channelmaster unit does not.

Thanks guys. I was just on the Tivo website and found the Premiere is the one. They are only $49 now until the end of January but its the $500 lifetime fee that is killing me. However, in the long run, I will still be ahead about $600/year for the 1st year since cutting cable.

I would be DVRing about 3-4 shows/week. Most I can get on Hulu Plus but ones like Elementary are not streaming.

The Channel Master looks promising. An external HDD in case it should fail. Wonder what the build quality will be? I have other Channel Master items, rotator and box, with no problems. Interesting...the options are endless....

Anyone have any info on the Tivo Premiere? Is the OTA tuner decent? I am thinking of going with the Tivo as if I ever go back to my FiOS, I can use that for my DVR there and I will already have the lifetime subscription. Anyone know if you can use the Tivo w/o subscription as just an OTA DVR? Or the Tivo HD may be a better option....

Last edited:
Isn't the Premiere the one with a weak tuner?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Isn't the Premiere the one with a weak tuner?

Yes, it's last generation Tivo and the tuners are supposed to not be that good.

The newest ones are the 'Roamio' models. The lower model is OTA only ($150, has gone down to $100 during sales though). The mid ($300~) and higher ($550~) model are cable only, and can take a cable card for encrypted cable stuff.

Any have any experience with the OTA tuner on the Roamio? I don't want to sink $100's into something that won't work...maybe I'll wait to see how the Channel Master DVR's work out when people receive them. I've been researching the Tivo Roamio and they seem to get good OTA signal strength through their tuner. Its much more money but if I end up going back at some point I guess I am covered and won't need to pay their DVR feel. I wonder if I can DVR 4 OTA channels at once though? Not that I would need to....

Last edited:
Here's the avsforum Roamio thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1486871/t...to-6-shows-simultaneously-3tb-storage-streams

Avsforum is really the place to go for these sorts of questions. Those guys collectively spend tons of money buying, playing with, and moding devices to the nth degree. If it can be done, they've done it!

Here's the review threads on Amazon for the Roamio. Those people for sure tell you the good and BAD, but are true real-world (non-techies) people so may be mistaken either way sometimes: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EEOSZK0/?tag=satell01-20

Here's a search for threads on the term "tuner": http://www.amazon.com/gp/community-...y-reviews&idx.asin=B00EEOSZK0&tag=satell01-20

Sorry, I've been only casually here the last few days.

Your best bet economically is to find a TIVO series 3 HD with lifetime. These can be had for around $300-400. The HD had a better tuner than the Premiere. You give up fancier menus and some streaming options, but you get a tuner that works at a lower price.

I have a Premiere and would no recommend it unless you have very strong signal. I am about 9 miles from the Milwaukee towers and fight pixilation on two major channels. No issues when feeding the Panasonic TV. The Roamio would be the second choice since the tuner is supposed to be equal to the series 3 HD, but it will cost a few hundred more in initial investment.

I have been a bit wary of the Channelmaster/DISH collaboration. The hardware should be good, but the guide service is questionable. They have had problems with losing this sort of guide data in the past. It is not clear if the DVR also can use psip data, and even if it could, this data is often limited to what is currently showing.

Basically, the TIVO is the safe choice. It works the way you expect it to, and the guide data is as secure as can be expected. The roamio has better streaming options, but at a higher cost. It still isn't as good as a Roku for streaming, so the best solution is probably the TIVO3 HD and a roku for streaming.

Your best bet economically is to find a TIVO series 3 HD with lifetime. These can be had for around $300-400. The HD had a better tuner than the Premiere. You give up fancier menus and some streaming options, but you get a tuner that works at a lower price.
agreed. I have a Series 3 and LOVE it!

I have been a bit wary of the Channelmaster/DISH collaboration. The hardware should be good, but the guide service is questionable. They have had problems with losing this sort of guide data in the past. It is not clear if the DVR also can use psip data, and even if it could, this data is often limited to what is currently showing.
I've been following that thread at avs and there are lots of things on that machine I'd worry about...besides possibly losing the guide at any time also while you can record by name it records ALL episodes. so if you want just new ones of say Simpsons and set it to record by name it records ALL episodes regardless of channel. That would get annoying

Basically, the TIVO is the safe choice. It works the way you expect it to, and the guide data is as secure as can be expected. The roamio has better streaming options, but at a higher cost. It still isn't as good as a Roku for streaming, so the best solution is probably the TIVO3 HD and a roku for streaming.
agreed

I appreciate all your help guys. I do have a Roku 3 on its way but then am thinking that maybe I should go with a blu-ray player w/ apps. There are just too many options. I did view the AVS forums but some of what they are talking about is a little above my understanding.

I think I will go the Tivo HD w/ lifetime route via Ebay and see if I can get a decent deal. I am excited to cut the cord on my FiOS, love the service but not the price! Got my Ooma coming too for my phone...hopefully that works out well :)

I appreciate all your help guys. I do have a Roku 3 on its way but then am thinking that maybe I should go with a blu-ray player w/ apps. There are just too many options. I did view the AVS forums but some of what they are talking about is a little above my understanding.

I think I will go the Tivo HD w/ lifetime route via Ebay and see if I can get a decent deal. I am excited to cut the cord on my FiOS, love the service but not the price! Got my Ooma coming too for my phone...hopefully that works out well :)

I cut the cable nearly 2 years ago and haven't looked back. There is plenty of material available, especially if you pick up a couple of the streaming services.

I have several Panasonic BluRay players with streaming. They are good for the common stuff like Netflix or Amazon streaming. The Roku generally has a better interface for these, but the big deal is all the other weird stuff you can connect and stream with the Roku. Besides the channel store, there are also sites that will show you how to access dozens of 'private' channels, some free, some pay. Only downside is that most of the common cable channels are married to cable or satellite partners and will not allow a streaming only subscription. Thus you can't get TLC or USA (for example) on any streaming device at this time.

Yes the ChannelMaster box can use PSIP.

I've been following that thread at avs and there are lots of things on that machine I'd worry about...besides possibly losing the guide at any time also while you can record by name it records ALL episodes. so if you want just new ones of say Simpsons and set it to record by name it records ALL episodes regardless of channel. That would get annoying

agreed

If you just set it to tape all PAWN STARS for instance, you'd get like 200 episodes every freaking week! That would fill your drive. Thank God for Dish Network VIP722k, it rarely gets a duplicate when set to New episodes only. That's only because Tribune screwes up the guide on some eps now and again, so it does a "just in case" recording.

If you just set it to tape all PAWN STARS for instance, you'd get like 200 episodes every freaking week! That would fill your drive. Thank God for Dish Network VIP722k, it rarely gets a duplicate when set to New episodes only. That's only because Tribune screwes up the guide on some eps now and again, so it does a "just in case" recording.

I believe that was his point. The TIVO has the same options of new only, just this channel, what isn't already saved and everything. TIVO seems to do pretty well on guide data and will generally display date first broadcast.

Not to slam the 722. I had a 622 before I dropped DISHand it was a really nice receiver. Just that the TIVO is its equal in all respects.

We are talking about an OTA dvr only. How many shows in syndication are being played on multiple networks in the same market? I can't find any in mine, now maybe in a couple of the bigger markets of the top 5 or if someone is on the border and can receive channels from multiple markets. I don't think for an OTA only dvr, it is as big a deal as everyone is making it out to be.

I receive 2 DMAs and find several programs get repeated "Texas Country Reporter" can have 5 broadcasts of the same program. Not quite as bad as the "Pawn Stars" example but it can use up hard drive space.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts