OTA DVR? Looking to pull the plug on cable....

We are talking about an OTA dvr only. How many shows in syndication are being played on multiple networks in the same market? I can't find any in mine, now maybe in a couple of the bigger markets of the top 5 or if someone is on the border and can receive channels from multiple markets. I don't think for an OTA only dvr, it is as big a deal as everyone is making it out to be.

You must not have an independent station or something like MyNetwork then?
Minneapolis just off the top of my head

2 1/2 men
Big Blang
Simpsons

and because our Fox and My are owned by the network we get lots of crossover stuff (new show on Fox, repeat on My)

But even that having it record all of the episodes no matter if its new or not can cause conflicts if you record a fair amount of stuff.

You must not have an independent station or something like MyNetwork then?
Minneapolis just off the top of my head

2 1/2 men
Big Blang
Simpsons

and because our Fox and My are owned by the network we get lots of crossover stuff (new show on Fox, repeat on My)

But even that having it record all of the episodes no matter if its new or not can cause conflicts if you record a fair amount of stuff.

We have 2 independent stations, but they are religious in nature so you won't see any of the current syndicated stuff on them. We have all the major nets including MyNet which is co-owned with our Fox net by Cox. Our CBS and CW are owned by Griffin. We are missing some of the national subchannels like Antenna, Cozi and Movies! but that is all.

Syndicated stuff is just not shown on sister nets or competing nets around here. Maybe we are lucky or I am just out of the loop. I don't watch much syndicated programming anymore. However you would have stuff like 2 1/2 Men recording nightly in syndication on our ABC and then on Thursdays on the new episode on CBS and so on with the other shows that are in local syndication and still producing new episodes nationally. That would be a problem for some like me, as I don't care about watching the repeats of current shows. Maybe in a few years when they're no longer in my memory and would seem new again.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I picked up a used Tivo Series 3 yesterday on Ebay w/ an external 500GB HD, wireless G adapter, glo remote, and lifetime service for $250. Didn't think that was bad. That with my Roku and my Ooma that will be here soon I think i am all set to pull the plug!! Can't wait...for some odd reason I am actually quite excited about this... :)

Thanks all for the suggestions. I picked up a used Tivo Series 3 yesterday on Ebay w/ an external 500GB HD, wireless G adapter, glo remote, and lifetime service for $250. Didn't think that was bad.
Thats a helluva deal honestly. The wireless adapter being thrown in is a plus so you dont need to run a ethernet cable to it

Can't wait...for some odd reason I am actually quite excited about this... :)

I guess telling your cable company to shove it would get me excited too.
You'll love the Tivo. And if you have any questions about it let us know. (as you can see in this thread there are a couple of us who have them....I have the same one you just got)

by the way you didnt mention it but what local market are you in?

Last edited:
How difficult is it to transfer a tivo with lifetime to a new account?

My mom lives at my lake house and the paldvr is finally starting to act up. I will fix it if I can, but with the Channelmasters not really in stock yet. It may be easiest to just buy a Series 3 Tivo HD with Lifetime so she isn't without a dvr or I will have to take the Paldvr in my house that I take back and forth to Las Vegas with me, out there. I like the Pal's because they look and work just like the Dish dvrs, which she was used to using before deciding she didn't watch anything other than the locals.

How difficult is it to transfer a tivo with lifetime to a new account?

its actually pretty easy. Form the tivo site about transferring a lifetime service
Existing owner...
We are sorry that you’re giving your TiVo DVR a new home, but we understand situations arise when it’s better to place your TiVo DVR with new owner.
We recommend you and the new owner contact TiVo Customer Support at the same time. If this is not possible, please contact us before the new owner so we can prepare the transfer for the new owner. We will need the new owner’s full name and email address.

new owner
Welcome to the TiVo family!
Once the previous owner has contacted us to let us know the DVR will be transferring ownership, call TiVo Customer Support and we will be ready to set your account up so you can start enjoying your TiVo DVR!

(you would probably do this after you got the Tivo)

Honestly I wonder if you could just set up an account for your mom (or you) beforehand just to have it on there. When I bought my Tivo from a member here I had tried Tivo before (a premiere which noted above sucks on OTA) so my account was still there. When the member here transferred it he just told them my name and e-mail address and Tivo moved it directly onto my account before it was even shipped out. I didnt need to speak to Tivo to add it...it was already added on my account

I'm sure you know this but the Tivo's need internet connection to download the guide info (whereas the DTVPal's use the OTA PSIP from the station)
I think the Series 3 can use a phone line instead

edit: yeah the Series 3 can use a phone line (this is again only if there is no internet at that location)
Series1, Series2, and Series3 boxes: You simply need to connect a phone cord from the closest phone jack into the phone jack on the back of your TiVo box.

Thanks
I have dsl at lake and ethernet already ran to TV for wdtv box and hulu plus.

I follow the pal thread on avs and know psmith fixes the boot loop problem and other things on the paldvrs. Mine at the lake is the hard drive going bad. I just don't have time to take it apart and replace it right now. My company is pretty busy when the weather is like this and I also have all the paperwork for my corporate taxes that I'm trying to get organized. Been sitting at my desk most of yesterday and today working. I still have tree limbs all over my yard from ice storm 2 weeks ago, so taking a dvr apart is low on the to do list at the moment.

Honestly I wonder if you could just set up an account for your mom (or you) beforehand just to have it on there. When I bought my Tivo from a member here I had tried Tivo before (a premiere which noted above sucks on OTA) so my account was still there. When the member here transferred it he just told them my name and e-mail address and Tivo moved it directly onto my account before it was even shipped out. I didnt need to speak to Tivo to add it...it was already added on my account

As one that has transferred a couple of TiVos to other members here ;) all you have to know as the seller is their name, and email address they are registered with on TiVo.com. You call up TiVo, tell them you want to transfer your TiVo, and give them the information. I had their addresses too for verification since I shipped them the TiVo. It only takes about 5 minutes. The nice thing about TiVo is that they have US based support only, and they answer the phone quickly. They are not open 24 hours, but about 12 hours a day 7 days a week.

I think I will go the Tivo HD w/ lifetime route via Ebay and see if I can get a decent deal. I am excited to cut the cord on my FiOS, love the service but not the price! Got my Ooma coming too for my phone...hopefully that works out well :)

I've had the Ooma phone setup here at my house for about a year or so now and it's been great, no problems at all. It only costs us $ 3.74 a month for phone service now, was well worth it for us.

Thanks for the info A Raine, mine just came today and I will be setting it up this week to see how it works out. Hope it works out as well for me as it has for you.

Using HDHomerun here for watching and recording OTA on all the computers and TV`s in the house.Works great!.Set it up in Windows Media Center but can be setup with sagetv,mythtv etc...Full epg.Can be had for a fraction of the cost of previously mentioned units in this thread.

And now, with TiVo exiting the hardware business (sooner than I expected), you really have to think about it: Avoid them, or grab one while the grabbing is good?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Using HDHomerun here for watching and recording OTA on all the computers and TV`s in the house.Works great!.Set it up in Windows Media Center but can be setup with sagetv,mythtv etc...Full epg.Can be had for a fraction of the cost of previously mentioned units in this thread.

I'm going to be doing this same thing in April when my new customer promos with Dish run out and my bill goes up to $72 for AT120 and 1H/1J. I will have to eat the ETF fee but I will make up the difference quickly by not paying a monthly bill.

I looked at getting one of the TiVo Roamios that have OTA. I could get that for $150 but then I would either have to pay $15 per month or pay $500 for the lifetime fee. I would also want a TiVo Mini for my bedroom and that would be another $86 plus $6 a month or $150 for the lifetime fee. I really wouldn't want to cut the cord and still be stuck with $21 a month in DVR fees so I would go lifetime and get it all out of the way at once. The problem is, that is a pretty substantial investment to watch OTA TV. It would cost me $886 to get the OTA setup I want.

Then I did a little more research and messaged yourbeliefs because I know he is using a PC for DVR purposes. I found out that I could buy one of these dual tuner HDHomeruns for $75. http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HDHomeRun-Definition-Digital-HDHR3-US/dp/B004HO58SO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8& qid=1390665673&sr=8-1&keywords=hdhomerun This one time fee would let me use Windows Media Center as my DVR for 2 recordings at once and no monthly fees. If you want more tuners you can use more than one. In that case you just have to specify which Homerun you want each timer to record from. You don't have to install any hardware on your computer either. You plug the OTA antenna into the Homerun and it sends the signal over your ethernet for any of the computers in your home to use.

I already have a HTPC that would be perfect for handling all my recording duties I have no investment cost outside of the $75 and no monthly fees. I can use a free program called Plex to stream those recordings to a Roku in my bedroom. You can also stream your recordings to smartphones, tablets, PS3, 360, and other computers in your home network and over the internet.

I'm sure that the TiVo interface is more user friendly than what I will get using WMC so that is something to consider if you aren't great with a computer. If you are confident in your PC skills it doesn't sound to complicated though. Plus my total out of pocket will be $75 instead of $886 for a TiVo setup. My only real cost will be the ETF fee to Dish.

You might want to put Dish, as has been suggested before, at a low level for a couple of months as you see how the new equipment and cord cutting works out. Cheap insurance policy and still reduces ETF.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts