Ota Epg

I switched from D* to E* a few months ago and overall I am pleased with everything I have seen from E* so far EXCEPT this. Blocking the EPG data for non-subs is so petty and cheap. I refuse to knuckle under and pay the $5. I already had an external OTA receiver the displays the EPG that is broadcast by the local stations so I switch inputs on my TV at the beginning of every evening and check the guide, then switch inputs back to the 211.

That's not the big issue. Hell you can get epg info from TV Guide or the daily newspaper. The real pain is if you have a DVR, all your NBR, timer & search features are gone for those channels.

That's not the big issue. Hell you can get epg info from TV Guide or the daily newspaper. The real pain is if you have a DVR, all your NBR, timer & search features are gone for those channels.
Yep, I just realized this when thinking about scheduling a recording tomorrow. I can no longer select the show in the guide and use the auto-tune to change to the channel I want to record. So if I want to record two consecutive shows on different channels I think I'm screwed. Really wishing I would have had my software updates turned off now. :(

Yep, I just realized this when thinking about scheduling a recording tomorrow. I can no longer select the show in the guide and use the auto-tune to change to the channel I want to record. So if I want to record two consecutive shows on different channels I think I'm screwed. Really wishing I would have had my software updates turned off now. :(
You should be able to do it with manual timers but it's a real pain - which is the general idea.

Turning off software updates doesn't always work. If they want to do it to ya, they'll do it.

Are they somehow guilty of a crime for doing this.
For example:
Limiting the functionality of the DVR even after we pay the 6.00 fee
Charging for the rebroadcast of the data they get free from the station
Isn't there some FCC reg the forbids the locals from charging us for the epg data, why doesn't it apply to rebroadcasting?

Are they somehow guilty of a crime for doing this.
For example:
Limiting the functionality of the DVR even after we pay the 6.00 fee
Charging for the rebroadcast of the data they get free from the station
Isn't there some FCC reg the forbids the locals from charging us for the epg data, why doesn't it apply to rebroadcasting?

If it was free, we would have had our CBS/FOX affiliates in HD already( we have ABC and NBC which are O/O stations). Trust me, it's not free, the locals are getting cash out of DISH....

Having the channel in HD is one thing. Equipment, cable, rights, DMA boarders, per subscriber fees, ect. that's the money. Charging extra just for the guide data is like paying more to have the washing instruction label on your shirt.

Dish buys the OTA data from Tribune, TV Guide, somebody. They then integrate it in the EPG and transmit it.

Dish is under no obligation to provide OTA EPG data for free. Even if they somehow passed the PSIP data, it would not be integrated into the EPG.

I think there are a couple issues at play here.

Firstly, Dish does not support PSIP on any of their receivers with ATSC tuners, as far as I'm aware. This is nothing new, and Dish has responded to complaints before, each time with a "we choose not to support it at this time", "that's the way it is" response. I've heard that the 811 supported it until recently. However, as an 811 user for 2.5 years, I can attest to the fact that there was no PSIP data for any of my locals, other than those that Dish carried as LiL. So, even those subscribers who pay for locals will still not get as complete data as PSIP might provide, and will see "digital service" for those locals that Dish doesn't carry. Digital subchannels, namely, but also including other digital programming not part of LiL.

The second issue is the fact that Dish just recently added (and then removed) guide data for many markets' digital subchannels. For those markets, this basically eliminated the need for PSIP, since Dish was providing the data. The benefit, whether provided by Dish or PSIP, is that the guide data would then allow name based recording on those digital subchannels, that one would previously have had to use timer based recording, as well as having a 3rd party source for program information (one not integrated into the receiver).

However, as has been stated, this guide data has begun disappearing as quietly as it was added. I'm disappointed. Dish intended something - they had access to the data to be providing it in the first place, so what are/were they holding back? They won't support PSIP integration, which would be ok if Dish provided the data, which they happen to have, but won't make available (for now).

I can only hope the guide data returns. It was nice while it lasted and was one of the main peeves I've had with Dish HD service.

Dish buys the OTA data from Tribune, TV Guide, somebody. They then integrate it in the EPG and transmit it.

Dish is under no obligation to provide OTA EPG data for free. Even if they somehow passed the PSIP data, it would not be integrated into the EPG.

I think many people paying for locals consider that to be something that should be included in their fee. Especially if Dish has access to it (which they've proved for many markets). Presuming they're already using that guide data for their own LiL or other programming, I'd imagine they're not incurring extra cost to access the other local guide data.

Just curious - why would the PSIP data not be included in the EPG? Many televisions do it seamlessly, in addition to most of D*'s ATSC-ready receivers. Not to say I'd rather the PSIP stream to be used directly - I was certainly satisfied with what Dish was providing not long ago.

Last edited:
Dish is believed to be charged for the data based on the number of people receiving it. I'm repeating that from another post; I have no first hand knowledge. So sure, people paying for locals should get it. People NOT subscribing to locals would be getting something they are unwilling to pay for. Personally, I think Dish should provide the data anyway, as a gesture and benefit of subscribing to Dish. But let's face it, at least where I live, there's a lot more OTA TV than Dish ever provides guide data for.

As for the PSIP not being in the EPG, what I was trying to say is that it would require some effort on Dish's part to integrate the data into the EPG and activate the NBR and click to record features. If they just PASSED the PSIP data on, it would not magically appear in the EPG, fully functional, without some Dish effort. Sure, they could integrate it. It just requires a little work on their part, it does not happen automatically.

Has there been any kind of word from Dish as to what is/was going on?

I had all my local digitals (including subchannels) in the EPG briefly late last month into early February, I believe. It's gone now, obviously, but I enjoyed it while it lasted. I have to wonder why Dish made the change, then removed it. It's Valentine's day - where is the love?:p

Has there been any kind of word from Dish as to what is/was going on?

I had all my local digitals (including subchannels) in the EPG briefly late last month into early February, I believe. It's gone now, obviously, but I enjoyed it while it lasted. I have to wonder why Dish made the change, then removed it. It's Valentine's day - where is the love?:p

same place my HD RSN is.......nowhere in sight :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts