OTA feed TV2

jjjjjreynolds

Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
I am new to this forum, and am a current cable customer, looking at dish and direct for a change. I'm having a hard time with dish network's $5 charge for local channels, especially when I currently get all the Omaha networks HD signals at 98% from 60 mi, using a $24 Radio Shack antenna. It looks neither direct or dish have the Omaha locals in HD yet. I understand that I can route the OTA signal into the back of a dish or direct receiver. Will this feed work on a SD and/or HD receiver, push through the HD signal on a HDTV, and downconvert to a SDTV?

For example on a VIP622 or 322, I can put the OTA coax into the rear of the receiver, and view the locals. Will this feed go to TV2 on these dual receivers? I plan on using the RCA cables for TV2, since it is on the other side of the wall of the HDTV. If the OTA does not go to the second TV, will I need two receivers to watch the OTA locals on two telvisions.

Will the locals come up like a normal dish channel, listings, etc. OR will I need to go to a menu/setup or something to change a setting to view the OTA signal?

Thank you,

Jason

Short answer is yes.

You will be able to view your locals on T.V. 2 with shared view enabled and yes it does downconvert. In the guide if you are paying for locals you will see what is on if you are not paying for locals you can tune in from the guide but it says "no inforation avil." On my 622 the OTA loacal are in yellow but displayed as all others also to norrow it down if you toggle the guide button it puts the OTA locals in the HD guide, helps get there quicker, I do not list standard locals are removed by me in prefencences. Peace

You will be able to view your locals on T.V. 2 with shared view enabled ....
And in single mode. You won't be able to watch locals if you're in dual mode. Nor would you be able to watch CBS on your main TV, and then ABC on your second TV. Or, you won't be able to record two network shows that air at the same time.

Sorry MAX, I was trying to help him with what he asked to do, not what he can't do, but yes you are correct. Also with shared view you would be tied to whatever is on TV1, Same program,,, to watch completely seperate OTA programming on each TV with the 622, the ANT connetion would have to be split to each T.V. This would also give you the ablitiy to watch and record and record and watch and on and on. Foot note in dual mode you can watch locals on either tv just both loctions would have the same programming. This is done by useing a coax cable mine is set to channel 73 and 94. 73 is TV1 and 94 Is TV2 on the remote TV. Tune to the one you want and watch TV..Peace

And on a 322 you cannot watch the OTA because it dosen't have an OTA tuner. When you turn off a 322 it passes a slightly degraded OTA signal to the TV where you will have to use the TV"s tuner.

Foot note in dual mode you can watch locals on either tv just both loctions would have the same programming. This is done by useing a coax cable mine is set to channel 73 and 94. 73 is TV1 and 94 Is TV2 on the remote TV. Tune to the one you want and watch TV..Peace

If TV1 is watching Live Sat-1, TV2 will not be able to watch Live OTA HD.
However, TV1 could Record OTA HD while watching Live Sat-1. Then with a few seconds delay, TV2 should be able to watch the OTA HD program without bothering TV1.

With this scenario, you should be able to use the RCA cables for TV2, instead of the RF cable modulated with the TV1 and TV2 Outputs. However, another advantage to using the RF cables modulated with both Outputs, is any TV in the house could view either programming, and with another IR/UHF PRO Remote, you can control TV1 from another room, i.e., Master Bedroom controls TV1 via UHF PRO, while Bedroom 2 controls TV2 via UHF PRO remote.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)