OTA guide for 722

pcrequest

Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Twin Cities, MN
I have a 722 with an ATSC adapter. Before I recently paused my service, it seemed like the yellow guide data would get the program guide info from Dish Network, as opposed to OTA. Some channels were swapped and were incorrect, but the main channels were OK. This was confirmed, now that I paused my service for the next several months, the yellow OTA guide shows "no info". I can still tune in and watch, record, but setting timers will be a pain (have to set times manually). Is there a setting buried somewhere in the 722 to get program data from OTA (like my TV's built in guide does)? It would be more accurate anyways.

I have a 722 with an ATSC adapter. Before I recently paused my service, it seemed like the yellow guide data would get the program guide info from Dish Network, as opposed to OTA. Some channels were swapped and were incorrect, but the main channels were OK. This was confirmed, now that I paused my service for the next several months, the yellow OTA guide shows "no info". I can still tune in and watch, record, but setting timers will be a pain (have to set times manually). Is there a setting buried somewhere in the 722 to get program data from OTA (like my TV's built in guide does)? It would be more accurate anyways.

When you put your account on pause it will remove the tag on the account for your locals. Without this tag on your account your receiver will not have authorization for the Guide information for your locals, this includes OTA locals. (I have NLOS for my locals and use an OTA and do not receive guide information.)

Dish seldom has guide info beyond the principal sub-channel xx--01.
Mine as info for PBS -1 and -2 but they are listed as the same instead of V-me.
The guide does not have the second PBS's 2 sub-channels nor carry any PBS thru satellite.
Sure could use (satellite) MPEG-4 encoding so I don't get huge recordings.

-Ken

My whole point is that I don't want to use the Dish guide info, whether service is active or paused. I want the guide data that is embedded in the OTA signal. Is the hardware incapable of decoding and displaying it? I know it's there, because if I plug the rooftop terrestrial antenna coax into my TV, I get the guide data in the TV's on screen guide (absent of the dish box even being plugged in).

As an aside, Dish has incorrect mappings for guide info on Minneapolis channels 9 and 23.

Another option would be to acquire the Channel Master OTA DVR (a spin-off of the DTV Pal DVR). It uses PSIP data (such as it is).

As an aside, Dish has incorrect mappings for guide info on Minneapolis channels 9 and 23.

oh its more than just those 2 ;)
They dont have guide info for 2-3 TPT Life even though its carried in the locals on 17 (their old analog spot)
no guide info for 5-3 (MeTV) or 5-4 (thistv)
When they moved 45 over to 5-45 the guide info is gone. Same issue as TPT Life
23-2 CoolTV its off by an hour (its on Eastern time not Central)
23-3 Country Network no guide info

9 & 29 just the SD version if wrong (they're flipped) but the HD version is fine ;)

Dish seldom has guide info beyond the principal sub-channel xx--01.
Maybe in YOUR market

In my market, we're only missing one subchannel of guide data. My PBS station has data for all five subchannels.
In my market, Dish has been quite good with OTA, too, these last few years. But, they still haven't added 38.4. It only recently began broadcasting. So, I can understand why they may have missed it. But, I have sent them emails about it. And, Tribune has the info on their listings. So, I know the data is out there. (Tribune added it after I emailed them, as well.)

I have no doubt that Dish did design the ViP's with the ability to use PSIP. In fact, Dish OTA seems to get accurate channel ID for all OTA's that have them (in my DMA, at least), which I can only presume is via PSIP. I don't see why they can't use the PSIP for all OTA guide data, but still require subscription to LIL's. My theory as to why Dish is NOT providing guide data for a lot of OTA's is because all the guide data, including OTA's is sent via satellite and the file would be more HUMONGOUS than it currently is. I wish we still had the Tech Forum or something where we could learn if Dish is trying to find a solution. It's time for the Joe Chat.

Thanks, Ice, for expanding the list. I could no longer look up the inconsistencies. You included some very new ones, but there are some errors that are years old. If anyone at Dish is reading this, I'd like to see future products use the PSIP data. And give the user some control on which data takes precedence.

I don't think they use PSIP data, because may channels don't have data, and some are swapped, a mistake by Dish presumably. I'm comparing to my TV's guide when hooked up to terrestrial. The info must be coming from Dish.

Dish doesnt use PSIP data. They take the info from their database and if it doesnt match you get the "digital service". Here is what we should have data for according to dish.

I did remove 22 (the Bemidji/Brainerd PBS) since most of us can't get that OTA ;)
I will bold the wrong info

2-01 KTCA TSID 0x0645, Subchannel 01 (DISH Channel 6353/8576)
2-02 KTCA2 TSID 0x0645, Subchannel 02 (DISH Channel 14060)
2-03 KTCI TSID 0x0645, Subchannel 03 (DISH Channel 8580)...NO DATA EVEN THOUGH THE CHANNEL IS ON DISH AS 17
2-04 KTCI4 TSID 0x0645, Subchannel 04 (DISH Channel 14063)
4-01 WCCO TSID 0x0631, Subchannel 01 (DISH Channel 6348/8571)
5-01 KSTP TSID 0x0647, Subchannel 01 (DISH Channel 6347/8570)
5-02 KSTP2 TSID 0x0647, Subchannel 02 (DISH Channel 14788) SINCE IT MOVED TO 45-5 NO GUIDE DATA
9-01 KMSP TSID 0x0633, Subchannel 01 (DISH Channel 6350/8573)
9-02 KMSP2 TSID 0x0633, Subchannel 02 (DISH Channel 14787) SHOWING GUIDE FOR 29
11-01 KARE TSID 0x0635, Subchannel 01 (DISH Channel 6349/8572)
11-02 KARE2 TSID 0x0635, Subchannel 02 (DISH Channel 14785)
17-01 KTCA TSID 0x0645, Subchannel 01 (DISH Channel 6353/8576)
17-02 KTCA2 TSID 0x0645, Subchannel 02 (DISH Channel 14060)
17-03 KTCI TSID 0x0645, Subchannel 03 (DISH Channel 8580)
17-04 KTCI4 TSID 0x0645, Subchannel 04 (DISH Channel 14063)
THESE DONT EVEN EXIST
23-01 WUCW TSID 0x0637, Subchannel 01 (DISH Channel 8574)
23-02 WUCW2 TSID 0x0637, Subchannel 02 (DISH Channel 14279) GUIDE INFO OFF BY AN HOUR
29-01 WFTC TSID 0x0639, Subchannel 01 (DISH Channel 6351/8575)
29-02 WFTC2 TSID 0x0639, Subchannel 02 (DISH Channel 14789) GUIDE DATA FOR 9
45-01 KSTC TSID 0x063B, Subchannel 01 (DISH Channel 8577) SINCE IT MOVED TO 5-45 NO GUIDE DATA

Another option would be to acquire the Channel Master OTA DVR (a spin-off of the DTV Pal DVR). It uses PSIP data (such as it is).

It also uses TVGOS in many markets. There is a work around to force it to use PSIP only, if for some reason you'd want that (such as inaccuracies in the transmitted clock data).

I have a DTV PAL DVR and love it. It will be a sad day when it dies.

.... My theory as to why Dish is NOT providing guide data for a lot of OTA's is because all the guide data, including OTA's is sent via satellite and the file would be more HUMONGOUS than it currently is....

Hasn't it been posted here that the guide data is actually a very small packet?

I love my DTV Pal dvr and my Sony DHG HDD250 dvr. The nice thing with the Pal is as long as it is just a hard drive failure, you can put a new drive in it and it will be like new again. My sony has to have the drive blessed in some way by Sony, so when it fails it is toast.

Using psip is not a great option for Dish dvrs as most stations only send out at most 24hrs of data. A couple of ours only send out 12 hrs of data. My Sony will pull the full 8 days of data from TvGOS, but the Pal dvr only pulls 8 days on 3 channels from TvGOS and the rest are reverting to psip.

Are you using that Sony on cable? I loved my Sony '500 but gave it away after the transition.

PSIP data is too irratic to be usable for DVR purposes, there is no common "language" that the DVR can use to make it's "decisions" from this semi-garbage data each station generates.

Dish receivers use another set of data (I believe it is PID) in the digital stream to identify the station and pair it with their data from Tribune Services.

Are you using that Sony on cable? I loved my Sony '500 but gave it away after the transition.

Both. I have lifeline cable that comes with my internet. It gets TvGOS from OTA and I only connect cable when I want to watch some of the local cable produced sports on Cox. For some reason the TvGOS that is coming from Cox screws it up sometimes, so I try to only keep OTA connected to it for guide downloads.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)