OTA Guide

I use an OTA adapter as well. If I saw this, I would try this:
Log on to MyDish. Go to My Programming. Click Change Programming. Add Local Channels ($12.00). Submit. Wait a few minutes. Go see if the Dish-provided spot beam channels have now appeared in the guide. See if those have program data. Tell it to refresh the guide. See if it changes anything. If the OTA guide data is missing while spot-beam guide data for the same channel is there, one would think Dish should fix that if the problem is reported. Then you can go back in to MyDish and turn off Local Channels are doing this test. I would think at most you'd be billed one day at $12/month or 40 cents.

However, I have local channels in my area that are provided in different locations in the guide if using spot beam than OTA. In fact, the Dish-provided locals have one channel mapped to a channel number that the broadcaster hasn't used for 5 years or more. So when I try to see program data for the OTA scan of that channel, it is blank. I reported this issue 8 months ago and nothing has changed for that incorrectly mapped channel.

I use an OTA adapter as well. If I saw this, I would try this:
Log on to MyDish. Go to My Programming. Click Change Programming. Add Local Channels ($12.00). Submit. Wait a few minutes. Go see if the Dish-provided spot beam channels have now appeared in the guide. See if those have program data. Tell it to refresh the guide. See if it changes anything. If the OTA guide data is missing while spot-beam guide data for the same channel is there, one would think Dish should fix that if the problem is reported. Then you can go back in to MyDish and turn off Local Channels are doing this test. I would think at most you'd be billed one day at $12/month or 40 cents.

Thanks, not sure if I want to go through all that. I pay for loco channels Az, (prolly should have mentioned), from Phoenix. I'm much closer to LV, & prefer there news etc. It's actually a minor inconvenience, but was nice when it was there.

I pay for loco channels Az, (prolly should have mentioned), from Phoenix. I'm much closer to LV
Oh, ok. Maybe this is solvable by changing your service address either alone and/or by converting your account to a Dish Outdoors account. Then the locals for the area where you say you are would be delivered. This has been discussed on here quite a bit by such luminaries as NYDutch and others.

Reactions: pattykay
Both ABC and CBS in Vegas have numerous translator stations throughout the area. My suspicion is your receiver is locking on one of those which likely will not get OTA data from dish. You will probably need to receive the primary channel in order to get the guide data.

If the OTA guide data is missing while spot-beam guide data for the same channel is there...
Thanks, not sure if I want to go through all that. I pay for loco channels Az, (prolly should have mentioned), from Phoenix. I'm much closer to LV, & prefer there news etc. It's actually a minor inconvenience, but was nice when it was there.
I think you may be onto something, Altitudinous. Is it possible that bobdee could be close enough to LV to receive those stations (or their translators) OTA, but still be outside the spot-beam being used to deliver the guide data for those stations? I think Dish is transitioning to spot-beaming the local guide data. (Previously, the OTA guide data streams were CONUS even though the channels themselves are being spot-beamed.)

However, I have local channels in my area that are provided in different locations in the guide if using spot beam than OTA. In fact, the Dish-provided locals have one channel mapped to a channel number that the broadcaster hasn't used for 5 years or more. So when I try to see program data for the OTA scan of that channel, it is blank. I reported this issue 8 months ago and nothing has changed for that incorrectly mapped channel.
I have you beat. I have one channel in my Dish-provided Cleveland, OH local package that is mapped to a channel number that the broadcaster has never used as their virtual channel number nor official on-screen branding. (The Dish channel number does match the station's actual frequency, though.) WMFD is on Dish channel 012-00, but on OTA channel 068-01. Guide data worked properly for the OTA version briefly when Dish first added this channel to their lineup. However, for the last decade, this guide data link has been broken, with no guide data ever appearing again on 068-01. I have reported this issue to Dish many times, in addition to multiple rants about this issue on this forum and others. I finally gave up, other than the occasional rant of course. ;)

I heard that Engineering is working on it. It will be rolled out with the Hopper 5.
They are working on something to do with the way they deliver guide data streams for OTA stations. It looks like Syracuse, NY is their next test market. Both of the last two uplinks have involved making changes to the OTA guide data in that market:
Other Changes
5175 WNYS (43 HD Local) SYRACUSE, NY (MYTV) 61.5° 28s29 (NY/PA/NJ) HD Syracuse, NY market Hidden – OTA Mapping Removed (43-01) xED Added
7629 WNYS (43 Local) SYRACUSE, NY (MYTV) 119° 1sA15 (Hartford) SD Syracuse, NY market Hidden – OTA Mapping Removed (43-01) xED Added

Local Channel Info Added
5175 WNYS
7629 WNYS

Other Changes
5176 WSTQ (14 HD Local) SYRACUSE, NY (CW) 61.5° 26s29 (NY/PA/NJ) HD Syracuse, NY market Hidden – OTA Mapping Changed (Station TSID)
7630 WSTQ (14 Local) SYRACUSE, NY (CW) 119° 1sA15 (Hartford) SD Syracuse, NY market Hidden – OTA Mapping Changed (Station TSID)

Reactions: charlesrshell
I used to worry about incorrect guide information on over the air channels. Now I just turn on my Air tv Anywhere dvr and I can see all the channels with correct guide information. It is worth it just to get the right guide information to me. Sling is just a bonus.

Interesting. So what's the secret for getting them to work on the guide data problems such as yours and mine? :)
If I knew that secret, then mine would have been fixed years ago. Submitting it as a Problem Report as a software Beta tester sure didn't do any good, and that is about as "inside Dish" as any of us here can get, unless we can get Scott to start nagging his contacts at Dish about these issues...

I used to worry about incorrect guide information on over the air channels. Now I just turn on my Air tv Anywhere dvr and I can see all the channels with correct guide information. It is worth it just to get the right guide information to me. Sling is just a bonus.
I recently hooked up my OTA antenna to my new 4K smart TV with built-in Roku. I must say that I love its Live TV guide, which finally gives me correct information for these channels that have been missing the guide info in Dish's guide for years. So, that is my workaround.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)