OTA guide

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

warper

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 23, 2004
I was not aware that there is no OTA program info with the 942. All it says is Digital service. Is this really true. I am very disappointed since I asked the person at CEO is all that works the same. I have called tech support and they tell me that I would have to get their locals to get guide data. That really is a crock. I would pay 5 bucks a month for something I would not even use. I am strongly considering just tell them to take it back and dump dish especially with all the HD issues going on.
They are so frustrating.

I believe all you need is to have a dish pointing at the satellite that carries your locals. A 942 would be able to pick up the EPG for your locals and display it.

I'm in the same boat as you as my locals are on 121, which would require me to have a SuperDish.

From what I have thought my locals are on 61.5 and I already get that since I have Voom channels.

OSU1991 is correct, you must subscribe to your locals to get the guide data. Additionally, I'm not sure how long you have had your 942, but sometimes it takes a day or so to update all of the guide data for locals. I'm not sure why this is the case, but I have seen it before.

It is a business decision by Dish to delibertly remove / ignore the guide data information from the PSIP data stream. It's basically just a form of extorition to get you to pay for their LiLs.

I believe it's for the same reason that the 942 exhibits other OTA problems including high senativity to multipath and generally requires a stronger signal to lock than other digital tuners. It's probably also why you won't see dual OTA tuners in a Dish receiver.

They provide a certain amount of OTA capability to stay competative but they don't want it to take away from their own market of locals. As many with strong OTA digital signals will testify, their HD blows away what DBS provides. So why would Dish want to make it more convenient for you to get a product that's better than theirs elswhere ?

PSIP data is something the the broadcaster are required to follow strict standards with and I don't understand why the FCC doesn't insist that all digital receivers (including the 942) utilize it.

Tom Bombadil said:
I believe all you need is to have a dish pointing at the satellite that carries your locals. A 942 would be able to pick up the EPG for your locals and display it.

I'm in the same boat as you as my locals are on 121, which would require me to have a SuperDish.
There is no 9-day guide from each satellite. The EEPG from 110 contains the guide data for all satellites. There are 2 problems here.
  1. Dish ignores the guide portion of PSIP and the FCC's desire (not requirement though that could change) for tuners to display at least the guide that broadcasters are required to send. They could substitute the one they already have.
  2. The receiver is testing for the presence of a satellite signal to allow the display of guide data (makes sense for satellite channels) when all it should need to link the EEPG to the broadcast station is the PSIP identifier.

I was told that when I had my 811, the reason why I did not have the EPG data for my locals was because I did not have a dish pointing at 121, where my locals are located. I was told this by Dish Tech.

Okay, perhaps I interpreted this incorrectly. Perhaps the data is coming from 110, but since the receiver wasn't seeing 121, then it was not going to link the EPG data for my locals to my locals.

As for the 942 & its OTA performance, I had an 811 for 6 months and I'm getting higher signal readings and better locks with the 942.

You do have to subscribe to the locals to get them in the epg on both the 921 and 942. You do not have to subscribe to the locals on the 811, but you do need to see the satelite they are broadcast on, the 9 day guide on 110 is not a factor as the 811 only has the 46 hour guide. The ota channel in question must also have the same channel number, my local wb is a subchannel on the local fox. The fox channel listings are there while the wb are not even though the dish supplied wb channel shows in the epg.

Last edited:
it's been more than a day and I haven't gotten guide info updates, even though I do have locals and am pointing to the 61.5 sat.

Most PSIP data today is basically blank, transmitting "digital program" or such.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)