OTA Guides

mwdxer1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 3, 2015
Seaside Oregon
Does anyone know about where the OTA Guides come from? The reason I ask, as I reported early this morning, we have that new Weigel BC translator. I get either no guide or wrong guides on every OTA tuner, except for one.

1) Dish 211k receiver 3.1 H&I guide for some other service and 3.2-3.5 no guide
2) Vizio TV set No guides for any of them (3.1-3.5)
3) Recast (Fire TV) Strangest, 3.1 QVC, 3.2 PBS Bend OR, and other wrong ones 3.3/3.4, no guide for 3.5
4) Ermatic tuner, correct guide for all channels, but the little tuner only goes out about 12 hours.

Except for Dish, I thought all of the OTA tuners got the guide from the station's signal? Does anyone know why the difference? Hopefully the issue will be solved soon, as it is hard to DVR. Thanks.

Reactions: TheKrell
IIRC, the little tuner only goes out 12 hours, probably it gets its guide from the stations. Other guides go through third parties like Rovi which bought TiVo in 2016 and has merged with another company - who knows where the guides come from now.

• Sad
IIRC, the little tuner only goes out 12 hours, probably it gets its guide from the stations. Other guides go through third parties like Rovi which bought TiVo in 2016 and has merged with another company - who knows where the guides come from now.
I would think, the TV set, the OTA tuner would directly get the guide from the translator though. The Vizio TV shows no guide, unless the guide sees a guide that it cannot decode. Time will tell... Thanks.

The Recast sounds like it's grabbing 3-1 from KWVT-LD or KSLM-LD's listing, while 3-2 and up are KOAB or one of its translators. That's almost certainly coming through an online guide service of some kind.

I agree with Jim that the Ematic sounds like it's the only one pulling direct from the OTA signal.

- Trip

Reactions: Tower Guy
The Recast sounds like it's grabbing 3-1 from KWVT-LD or KSLM-LD's listing, while 3-2 and up are KOAB or one of its translators. That's almost certainly coming through an online guide service of some kind.

I agree with Jim that the Ematic sounds like it's the only one pulling direct from the OTA signal.

- Trip
Since the Recast is grabbing the wrong info, is there any way to solve it? I have not figured out how to contact the Recast part of Amazon as yet. The Recast guide is very good, except for this. It have been hoping that the problem would fix itself.

Reactions: c-spand
Beats me. I don't know what guide service it uses and don't have one of my own to know how to tinker with it.

- Trip

Beats me. I don't know what guide service it uses and don't have one of my own to know how to tinker with it.

- Trip
I read I can directly contact Amazon as they have fixed Guide issues with the Recast. I may give that a try. At least with the Dish receiver (211k) with the built in OTA tuner, there is a generic timer to DVR even if there is no guide. The Recast needs a guide, even if it is wrong.

I like to use TitanTV:
Like TitanTV

Would that be of any use to you?

mwdxer1SatGuysTitanTV_1.jpg

mwdxer1SatGuysTitanTV2_1.jpg

I like the Roku smart TV that I own, because of its detailed, easy to use grid-based electronic program guide that works with my TV's tuner displaying network logos (or text) for each of my local stations and their subchannels on .2, .3, etc. (plus the extra channels supplied by my Roku TV). Another feature that I like, is that when I highlight the name of a program on the guide, it provides an image and a description of the program (useful for episode descriptions on various TV shows or description of teams playing in a sporting event or the plot to a movie).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)