OTA HD channel problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jammy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Beaumont, TX
I have an OTA antenna in the roofspace and I can only get the ABC station in HD.

I cannot get NBC, CBS or PBS.

I'm pretty sure that the problem is the direction that the antenna is pointing in.

Should it be possible to pull in all OTA HD channels, or will I have to install one or two more antennas pointing in different directions?

(I live in the Dallas-Fort Worth area).

Thank you.

This may get moved to the OTA area so keep your eyes out; but for starters what is your zip code and what current antenna do you have? (make & model) When you say "in the roofspace" do you mean inside the attic or outside on the roof?

N 32° 35' 6.00" W 96° 58' 41.00" - Tower array for DFW is at this general location.

Attachments

• DFW Towers.jpg
    DFW Towers.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Hey guys.

Yes, 'roofspace' is 'attic'.

The way they have my antenna set up, I cannot see what the make/model is.

My zip is 76051 and the antenna is (approximately) pointed south. As I am northwest of Dallas and northeast of Fort Worth, I thought that should do the trick.

Sorry if I put this in the wrong place - I didn't know there was an OTA area. I guess the original question would fit in either the OTA area or this one, as it is about HD.

Thanks for you interim reply and with the above information I'll look forward to a more definitive answer.

Thank you.

You are 25 - 28 miles away and your antenna should be aimed/pointed at a 157.5° heading based on your zip code. The range of your towers is 156° - 159° which is GREAT for you!

Not knowing the antenna make & model hurts in knowing what its actual capabilities are, but get the aiming correct first and see what happens. Being IN the attic can cause a 35% upto a 50% reduction in signal, so a larger antenna is needed; outside is a MUCH better option and MUCH cheaper.

Only ABC WFAA-DT channel 9 (8.1) is VHF, but its VHF Hi so a quality antenna like these should bring it in. If not, you might have to switch to a combo VHF/UHF.

UHF Only
Channel Master CM 4228
Channel Master CM 4221A
Winegard PR 8800
Antennas Direct DB4

VHF/UHF Combo
Antennas Direct V21
Winegard HD 7084P
Winegard PR 7042
Channel Master CM 3679

Charpers advice is sound as always. If it helps, I'm 28 miles from my antennas, with a cm4228 mounted in the attic I pull in mid 90s on all stations with an hr10 -250 receiver. Obviously all my channels are UHF.

mechman

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts