OTA HD Channels w/out D*tv HD service

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

robvmi

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
I am trying to figure out how to get the most out of the HDTV I plan to buy soon and need some advice. I plan to get D*tv service and want HD and Tivo. My issue is, I am not interested in most of the HD programing offered through the satellite. What I really want are the network primetime HD broadcasts that are OTA for free and the ability to Tivo them. So, if I have D*tv standard service, with the HUGHES HR10-250, will I be able to get the OTA channels through the antenna and display and Tivo them in HD (without HD service)? Essentially, I want to use the receiver's HD tuner to display and Tivo OTA.

If more clarification is needed, just ask.

Yes you should be able to get the OTA channels through the antenna and display them and also TiVO them without hd service. I think all you need is the basic package to get this but i am not completely sure. Is there anyone else out there that can answer the rest of this question it would be greatly appreciated...........by the way welcome to SATELLITEGUYS.US......................DIGITAL~DAN

Thanks for the info. Do you think it will also work seamlessly with respect to integrating the OTA channels into the on-screen guide for easy channel selection and no need to switch manually in any way?
Thanks,
Rob

Your OTA channels ( if you can receive them with either an indoor or outdoor antenna) will be listed in your guide when you do the startup setup. Remember D* is giving the HD pack free for 6 months. Why not try it. You will love the HR10-250.

Thanks. Good thought. Why not try for free for 6 months. If I find I'm not watching, I assume I can cancell with no committment of penalty.

Do you think it's ok to buy the HR10-250 on ebay or should I go somewhere like Best Buy where I know they are reputable? I know I can get cheaper on ebay. What about warranty? Do you know if the HR10-250 has any common issues?

Thanks
Rob

For this receiver I would not buy from ebay. Buy from a reputable dealer to assure you have a warranty. Since you are a member here I think Value Electronics is giving a discount to members. Check it out.
I think you will be watching the HD pack from D*. Yes you can cancell this pack, but you must keep the Total Choice for 1 year since you are a new subscriber.
I have had my receiver about 3 months with no problems. D* will swap out if you have problems.

The discount value electronics is offering is 10% off but, you have to remember to tell them that you are a satelliteguys.us member. I think I would take x1HDTV"s advice and buy my receiver from a quality dealer sense it cost alot of money.........well hope this helps you make up your mind........................DIGITAL~DAN

DIGITAL~DAN,
That sure does help. I will definately be going with D* and HD Tivo.
Thanks for all the help.
Rob

when i called about hd free for 6 months i was NOT told about a year commitment, i am on the fence wether or not Directv is even worth it anymore , too much compression and i already get my locals ota. so Directv is not bringing much to the table anymore.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)