OTA HD with Direct or Dish HD Receivers

Stoofpilot

Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
I have a 40 inch Mitsu tube set that still after 12 years has a great picture and can handle more resolution than most tube tv's.

My local channels are broadcast in HD OTA. I noticed on ebay close to 500 HD receivers for sale. many of them cheap.

Question:
1. Do these used HD receivers support an OTA HD feed from an external antenna such as a trek? Is that what ATSC is??

2. Can I buy a used HD receiver such as an old Direct TV HD receiver that supports ATSC and add a OTA antenna such as a Trek and then come S-Video in to my 40" Mitsu. TV does not have RGB being 12 years old.

I ask because I have to believe that the picture quality will still be better than what I am getting with cable. I have the digital package with cable and those channels look great on the tube Mitsi but locals are not in Digital on cable.

Will this work?? Is ATSC support on an HD receiver OTA??

Thanks

Yes, as long as they are older than the h10 model, the directv hd receivers work great. I like the Hughes HTL and the Sony models the best. I have two hooked up to the last analog tv I still use and one on my moms old tv also.

By older than an H10-do you have a couple of model numbers for the Hughes or Sony's?

What type of antenna's are you using?

Thanks

I have a 40 inch Mitsu tube set that still after 12 years has a great picture and can handle more resolution than most tube tv's.

My local channels are broadcast in HD OTA. I noticed on ebay close to 500 HD receivers for sale. many of them cheap.

Question:
1. Do these used HD receivers support an OTA HD feed from an external antenna such as a trek? Is that what ATSC is??

2. Can I buy a used HD receiver such as an old Direct TV HD receiver that supports ATSC and add a OTA antenna such as a Trek and then come S-Video in to my 40" Mitsu. TV does not have RGB being 12 years old.

I ask because I have to believe that the picture quality will still be better than what I am getting with cable. I have the digital package with cable and those channels look great on the tube Mitsi but locals are not in Digital on cable.

Will this work?? Is ATSC support on an HD receiver OTA??

Thanks

1. Yes ATSC is OTA HD.
2. Yes but at others have said Trek might not be the best choice. Depends on where you live see AntennaWeb

The quality of a digital OTA HD is the best you can get, as long as you can get a locked signal.

Any preference between the quality of output from either the Hughes or the Sony receiver for OTA signal.

Thanks

First and foremost, you need to be concerned with the inputs that your Mits has. If you can offer that information, we can more quickly cut to the chase.

If it doesn't have HD inputs, you would probably be better off buying a cheap DVD recorder that has a digital tuner.

The Mitsi has 2 S-video as the best input connections. I currently have my cable box coming in to one S-Video and I would hook up the used HD receiver to the S-Video for Video two and have an antenna hooked up to the used HD receiver.

Does a DVD recorder have a HD tuner that will let me pick up OTA HD locals? This is why I thought that I would get a used old HD receiver from ebay.

Thanks

Some dvd recorders do have atsc tuners. I had a Hughes e86 I gave to my sister that is hooked up to a Sony 51 Rear projection tv that is probably 12 years old out at their lake house. The e86's were known for overheating. I have two Hughes Htl's one on my Sony 27in studio monitor that I used to use for video editing,it is connected via svideo and this monitor has never displayed anything as well as it does now. The other one is on my old Panasonic 32in that is 15 years old and at my mother's house. I prefer outdoor antenna's or attic mounted. I have used indoor antenna's with varying results.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts