OTA HDTV/DMA's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

raymo721

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 26, 2005
Front Range, Colorado
Posted this in OTA forum, but thought it would belong here also. HDTV Magazine has a list of cities and what stations are boadcasting digital SD or HD. It also has maping, tower height and "current" broadcast power. This might clear up (a little) the question of what power your local stations are broadcasting at. It answered mine. Try this link.---Ray http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/programming/broadcast.php

It's not 100% correct.

They have KCNC-DT broadcasting from Lookout Mountain at 100kW and they are downtown around 10kW. KMGH-DT is listed at 220m, and it is currently on top of their 2 story building. KBDI-DT is listed at 220kW, and they are running 1kW power (10kW ERP?).

ADent said:
It's not 100% correct.

They have KCNC-DT broadcasting from Lookout Mountain at 100kW and they are downtown around 10kW. KMGH-DT is listed at 220m, and it is currently on top of their 2 story building. KBDI-DT is listed at 220kW, and they are running 1kW power (10kW ERP?).

Our data comes directly from the FCC database, but I will verify each of the figures you mentioned and ensure their accuracy as much as I can.

Thanks,

- Shane

You also missed ABC out of Harrisburg, PA, there tower is right next to CBS

ADent said:
It's not 100% correct. They have KCNC-DT broadcasting from Lookout Mountain at 100kW and they are downtown around 10kW. KMGH-DT is listed at 220m, and it is currently on top of their 2 story building. KBDI-DT is listed at 220kW, and they are running 1kW power (10kW ERP?).

CBS Affiliate KCNCDT Ch. 4.1, CBS Affiliate
13.0m, 100.0kW

ABC Affiliate KMGHDT Ch. 7.1, ABC Affiliate
222.0m, 6.0kW

KBDIDT Ch. 12.1, PBS Affiliate
23.0m, 226.0kW

As I read it, these listings for the Denver stations are for their Permanent Site Locations, and not their current temporary sites; as denoted by the STATUS line. You should see either the word "Licensed" or "Broadcasting" if they are operational at said location(s).

IMHO an affiliate should only be allowed to broadcast DT/HD if they are already on their permanent tower. This would end all their dang excuses, delays and speed up the construction of their towers and braodcast facilities. I think this would also eliminate all the weak DT/HD signals that are being sent out that makes the reception of DT/HD at home seem like a failed high school techno experiment. This turns off the average American TV viewer; which the vast majority are.

Those CPs are correct AFAIK. Useless but correct.

How about a list of stations broadcasting and their current powers and their location of broadcasting?

That linked page would be more useful with all the CPs removed.

MHO an affiliate should only be allowed to broadcast DT/HD if they are already on their permanent tower.
And deprive us Denverites of any major network signal? It sure looks like we won't go full power until NTSC shutoff (when they swap NTSC to ATSC on the same towers).

Update

UPDATE:

I have made some significant updates to our data pull from the FCC database, and now believe the data is more in-line with "real life". If you station engineers out there could verify I would appreciate it.

I have also added distance and azimuth (bearing) information to the map, provided your address is registered (free) in your profile.

Enjoy,

- Shane

charper1 said:

As I read it, these listings for the Denver stations are for their Permanent Site Locations, and not their current temporary sites; as denoted by the STATUS line. You should see either the word "Licensed" or "Broadcasting" if they are operational at said location(s).

IMHO an affiliate should only be allowed to broadcast DT/HD if they are already on their permanent tower. This would end all their dang excuses, delays and speed up the construction of their towers and braodcast facilities. I think this would also eliminate all the weak DT/HD signals that are being sent out that makes the reception of DT/HD at home seem like a failed high school techno experiment. This turns off the average American TV viewer; which the vast majority are.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha HA! Not at you Charper, with you. As a Loveland resident I have been following this for years along with other in the AVS forum. The Denver thread there has about 4 times the number of posts than any other city because of a giant legal debacle.

The end result is that the City of Golden (Coors Brewing Company) has said if the judge in the case approves the towers, they will condemn the site proposed for the towers.

These a**holes are the same group of folks who flaunt the para-gliders that launch from this area (it is quite cool) Either way, Cable & Satellite is the only way the remaining affiliates will go live in Denver before like 2009.

Thanks, Raymo! I live in DMA 51 and after seeing your post went and played with my UHF antenna and picked up four more sites, bringing the total to 15, not counting the sub channels. I still need to verify if they come in strong enough to view.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)