OTA hooked up to 211/411 Receiver

Tiger862

Original poster
Aug 9, 2013
Slidell La.
I will get Dish installed on Sunday and they sent me an email stating that I will have 2RCVRS 211/411 and seems like there is a built in tuner in receiver so my question is should I leave outside antenna hooked up to TV or hook it up to receiver and possibly not have to switch inputs which is a pain with my HDTV. I will be hooking up to AV receiver by way of HDMI so hopefully DD5.1 will be fed thru HDMI like cable box. In order to switch inputs I have to switch inputs on AV as well as TV since TV does support ARC but AV does. Also if satellite goes out will it block port for OTA so I won't be able to watch it. I read mix things on this.

Really didn't want to do splitter. I have 2 HDTVS on antenna with fairly good signal and drops as I add more. Ran 3 without any problems but the more splitters the lower signal.

I hooked up an in line signal amplifier in my attic. With that and a rotor, I can receiver hd signals from Syracuse NY, about 60 miles away plus my locals out of Rochester on all my tv's.

Just run it to the receiver. You should never need to change the inputs on your TV then unless going to a DVD player or other device.

I have a 16db amp on mine. I was picking up 80 to 100 miles before transition and Katrina. I now am able to only get 45 or so miles since trees have grown and new towers were put in on locals. HD is great but cost me some channels. I now longer can get Saints game if blocked out. Oh that hasn't happened in awhile. LOL I still get 100% with small turn of antenna on most just have to move it more since everyone went HD. I just hope Dish doesn't go out as much as antenna with all the weather we had lately. At least it comes back almost immediately.

Just run it to the receiver. You should never need to change the inputs on your TV then unless going to a DVD player or other device.

I just run everything thru AV that is why I asked question. Figure it would save me a step as long as Dish doesn't go down and OTA is not usable since it would be connected to there box. Didn't know if it was tied together with software in box.

You said you have lost some of your ota signals. Is that through the Dish receiver or if your antenna is connected directly to the back of the tv? While the Dish's ota tuners are good, I don't thing they are as good as a tv's. I have the hdmi out of my tv hooked into my avr receiver. It may take a few key presses, but if need be, I can listen to the ota audio from the tv through my avr.

....as long as Dish doesn't go down and OTA is not usable since it would be connected to there box. Didn't know if it was tied together with software in box.

If you lose your satellite signal the OTA still works through the receiver. You don't need to switch anything out.

Been there, done that. Last week we had a heavy storm cloud temporairly block our satellite signal. The lost signal error screen popped up. I hit the Guide button, selected an OTA channel and continued watching. No problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts