OTA INSTALLATION POLL: How many attempts did it take your installer(s)?

Slick, here is another picture. I have labeled the connections so it would be easier to tell wich one is which:

DSR-550back.jpg

I voted 2 but I did have to go outside and reposition the dish myself for a better signal. When I moved last month I moved the equipment myself and did my install. I didn't want a repeat of my install problems.

Twice for me. The orginal stealth didn't work at all. I called and received a Channelmaster 4228.

Slick,
When I diplexor is used there are two pieces involved. One that combines the two cables and one that seperates them. The pic Technut posted is the one that seperates them(the little grey moto box). This is what combines them:
diplexer.gif

Three, but he was a good sport about it :). Last install is a 10' mast guy wired with a Wineguard 7084p and a CM7777 amp, with a rotor. Works great.

Slick said:
Tech nut tell me what the diffrece between a Diplexor and a multi switch? I look at your site and what yo are calling a multi switch I thought was a diplexor..

A diplexer combines two signals into a single coax wire. It can be satellite and cable, satellite and OTA, satellite and cable internet, or whatever. But it can't be more than two signals. The Winegard diplexer used by voom installers is a 3 in 2 out diplexer, it combines the antenna signal with the two satellite inputs, and sends them out the two outputs. It also allows DC voltage coming up the line to pass to both the LNB and to the OTA. The multiswitches diplex the signal but also split the combined signal into 4 or 8 outputs.

wasch_24 said:
Correction... "installs inc used a multi switch to combine and then distribute mine"

yeah what wasch said, what about a multiswitch that will work with VOOM, any recommondations, do the multiswitch and diplexers need to all match (maker). and which ones are being used on "working OTA" voom setups. What hardware for this combining and spliting does voom recommend?

Mr.C

my voom

Thanks guys for all your help, I never messed with any OTA before so this is all new to me.. I have three tv's and only one is HDtv and that is the one getting the Voom box, so the dishfeed is easy because it is only going to one tv..

I have no other choice than to split the OTA cable three ways to feed all three tv's in the house, because there is only one cable running from the OTA antenna..

I am going to move my Winegard sensor 2 one more time and see what happens before I go buy a bigger antenna with a pramp.. Now that I know where the diplexor is on the back of the Voom box things are going to go smooth, I hope :).. Cya Slick

I was a little concerned after reading some of the horror stories, but my installers were great. They were in and out in less than an hour and got good signal lock and all the channels, including OTA, in a jiffy.

Any Way To Change My Vote...?

I voted two and counting about a week ago because I was scheduled for visit #3 today after supposedly getting an antenna upgrade authorization from a Stealth to a Channel Master from a Voom CSR in late June after call #2.

Original install on 6/1 was a bad independent installer (a real jerk-o). :dev After I complained to Voom about not having two lines to each box, no grounding, poor picture quality, no DVI, and very unprofessional behavior and installation overall, Crave Electronics got the order and sent a good installer on call #2. :) Good Guy #2 even tried to upgrade the off-air for me while he was here, but the Winegard antenna he had with him on 6/15 wouldn't pull in any stations. :no The Stealth was at least pulling them in sometimes!

Today, guess who shows up again--and without a Channel Master? Yep! El Jerko in person! :mad: !sadroll :yikes When he started arguing with me about how he had done a wonderful job originally, and the 2nd installer did nothing--(ONLY ran the 2nd lines to 2 boxes which were supposed to have been there in the beginning, pointed the satellite in the right direction, grounded the antenna, and replaced the Stealth with the Winegard and back again!!)--I "invited" El Jerko to leave. :shocked ;)

Installs Inc. has called me back, and said they got info from Voom that it was a reception problem only--not antenna upgrade, and supposedly they now have gone back to Voom and did get authorization for antenna upgrade.

Still don't know when call #4 will be, as I insisted they put the order back with Crave, who sent the professional on call #2, because I refused to let El Jerko back into my home. Oh well.... :rolleyes:

Vicki

When voom schedules a service call it seems to go to any random installer the system comes up with. Installs Inc can assign it to specific installers or even specific techs so try calling them when service calls are needed.

I too have an El Jerko that tried to come in my house. For my second attempt I called the install company directly and verified who was (or was not) coming to my house.

Initial install was on 7/19/04. The installer said they don't guarantee reception with the OTA antenna. I am mapped for 40+ channels, but I only receive about 8. Voom said it looks like my antenna is only hitting 1 tower. I should be getting a signal from 3 towers. They said it needs to be rotated about 45 degrees to pick up the other signals. I was authorized for an antenna upgrade and a service appointment was made for 7/31. We'll see what happens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)