ota installation

Status
Please reply by conversation.

steelersfan21

Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
can directv installers do a rooftop off air antenna installation at the same time as the sat installation? I'm sure it can be negotiated beforehand but just wanting to make sure.

They can IF your receiver has that option; HOWEVER you can get better results selecting the best antenna for your area and installing it / aiming it yourself or paying a local pro to do it.

Steelersfan,

It is time to mention that ANALOG TURN OFF DAY may actually happen this time.

OTA will be digital OTA and TVs without an Advanced Television System Committee (ATSC) tuner will be ..........

Anybody know how antenna requirements will change? There is nothing on Antennaweb about this.

Steelerfan.......antennaweb.org is a site to select your antenna...enter your zip and they will give you a sat pic with lines to all your nearby and distant OTA sources.. + spec your antenna choices.............pretty cool!

Joe

If you buy the right antenna ahead if time and are lucky enough to have a clear line-of-site to your broadcast towers from the satellite installation site. you can piggy-back your OTA antenna off the satellite pole with a special pole made for that purpose and diplex the incoming OTA antenna cable to the satellite cable and then split the signals at your receiver. This will prevent the necessity of running a second cable into your home. If you have the antenna, pole, 2 diplexors in hand when the satellite installer arrives, offer him a few bucks to add the OTA antenna. He'll welcome the extra bucks.

You can purchase an antenna from antennasdirect.com on line with a 90 no fault, money make gaurantee.

If you buy the right antenna ahead if time and are lucky enough to have a clear line-of-site to your broadcast towers from the satellite installation site. you can piggy-back your OTA antenna off the satellite pole with a special pole made for that purpose and diplex the incoming OTA antenna cable to the satellite cable and then split the signals at your receiver. This will prevent the necessity of running a second cable into your home. If you have the antenna, pole, 2 diplexors in hand when the satellite installer arrives, offer him a few bucks to add the OTA antenna. He'll welcome the extra bucks.

You can purchase an antenna from antennasdirect.com on line with a 90 no fault, money make gaurantee.

Diplexing DOES NOT work with the Ka/Ku DBS setups. You will need to run dedicated OTA RG6.

Steelersfan,

It is time to mention that ANALOG TURN OFF DAY may actually happen this time.

OTA will be digital OTA and TVs without an Advanced Television System Committee (ATSC) tuner will be ..........

Anybody know how antenna requirements will change? There is nothing on Antennaweb about this.

Steelerfan.......antennaweb.org is a site to select your antenna...enter your zip and they will give you a sat pic with lines to all your nearby and distant OTA sources.. + spec your antenna choices.............pretty cool!

Joe
Antenna requirements will not change. The same one someones parents used in the 50's will still work after the change over.

Some companies are marketing new antennas as HDTV models. It is just marketing

Antenna requirements will not change. The same one someones parents used in the 50's will still work after the change over.

Some companies are marketing new antennas as HDTV models. It is just marketing

I think what he means is that some network digital stations will be moving back from their UHF assignment to VHF. Take NY for example; WCBS analog is channel 2 ,but the digital is 56. After the shutdown they will be going back to 2. So if you have a UHF only antenna you will be outta luck.

Diplexing DOES NOT work with the Ka/Ku DBS setups. You will need to run dedicated OTA RG6.

Diplexing will work as long as you install the b-band converter before the diplexor.

See attached illustration

Attachments

• b-band.JPG
    b-band.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 166
THANX,

I'm focused..............those 50s TVs will not end up in the landfill...........but there is a buck to be made on the tuners.

Joe

But I wonder how long those BBC's will last when exposed to the weather?

Indoors would be best, no doubt. When I lived in NY my multiswitch was in my basement. So weather would not of been an issue. The one I did for my friend is outdoors. Only time will tell as to how it stands up. I did tape the living hell out of it though as to keep rain from it.

I think what he means is that some network digital stations will be moving back from their UHF assignment to VHF. Take NY for example; WCBS analog is channel 2 ,but the digital is 56. After the shutdown they will be going back to 2. So if you have a UHF only antenna you will be outta luck.

????
If channel 2 is analog and it's digital version is UHF 56 .
They shut off the analog side, that leaves the Digital side working, it would be on the UHF band potentially at 56.
All digital tuners go to at least 100 ...

Am I missing something here ?
All normal antenna that work now should work later.
Who said the digital signals would be moving to VHF ?

Jimbo

Some stations have said they will revert back to their VHF freq after 2009. If you currently have UHF only, if any station reverts back to VHF; your UHF only antenna may not work well; it depends on your antenna and the VHF frq used.

Antennaweb.ord recently added info about what channels DTV stations would be using post tranistion.

????
If channel 2 is analog and it's digital version is UHF 56 .
They shut off the analog side, that leaves the Digital side working, it would be on the UHF band potentially at 56.
All digital tuners go to at least 100 ...

Am I missing something here ?
All normal antenna that work now should work later.
Who said the digital signals would be moving to VHF ?

Jimbo

Some not all will be going back to their original station numbers. Thye will just be broadcating digitaly from there rather than staying on UHF. Now let's say you have a CM 4228 as an antenna. It's a fine antenna for UHF and higher VHF stations. It's not much good for lower stations such as 2,3,4,5, or 6. If your channel moves back to the lower end you may not be able to pick it up. There is a list around someplace of which stations are going where on the dial.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)