OTA is now incompatible

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I know it was mentioned in various post but it might have been a long time ago since that's been the word every since they started the 5LNB dish install. I know I watched a installer video that D* had open to everyone back last year they were very clear about not using diplexors so D* tried to get the word out to the installers.

They set my receivers up with diplexers, I never knew they would become incompatible. Was it posted here at one point or another? They just installed my new HR20's recently and upgraded my dish to the 5LNB dish.. Nothing was said by the installer then either.

It has been discussed MANY times here in the lead up to the new hd channels. If you haven't heard about it, you haven't been paying attention. Never the less, I believe it is the responsibility of the install company to fix your dish so that it works correctly.

They set my receivers up with diplexers, I never knew they would become incompatible. Was it posted here at one point or another? They just installed my new HR20's recently and upgraded my dish to the 5LNB dish.. Nothing was said by the installer then either.

Around here it's been known for quite awhile, but thats not to say the installers knew about it ....

I wonder if they will have installers running around now, removing diplexers and running new lines where possible, seeing up till now using diplexers were a very useful option.

Jimbo

Around here it's been known for quite awhile, but thats not to say the installers knew about it ....

I wonder if they will have installers running around now, removing diplexers and running new lines where possible, seeing up till now using diplexers were a very useful option.

Jimbo

Thats what they have been doing apparently. The installer I met with today it was new to him but he phoned his supervisor and he told him it was a huge amount of their work orders going out as of today.

As a result however the powered sensar lost its power source when the diplexer was unhooked. I added a diplexer going up to the OTA antenna which was clear of the sattellite feeds of course and plugged in a power source... Is there a preferred power source for the sensars? I have a 24volt and a 15volt. I used the 24 and it has extremely strong signal 85% for 4-1 is incredible but I don't want to risk burning out the antenna.

The website says it has an AC power pack but of course it can pull power DC thru the power pass. So I figured I would diplex in and it worked flawlessly. Just worried about what its rated at.

Perhaps D* will be able to push their new 'diplexor' (triplexor?) out the door to alleviate these problems. Its my understanding from reading here that this is out in beta testing. I can't recall the term for it though ... SLMD or something like that. It is supposed to be able to combine 2 sat feeds plus the OTA onto one cable. I have no idea what the status is, but that device would save alot of new cable runs.

I am anxiously awaiting my new install of DirecTV, switching from digital cable. I have already re-aimed my OTA antenna to maximize the locals, but I am quite interested to see how the installer will deal with running lines: will he convert my cable TV lines to feed my antenna signal, and then run 2 new satellite lines to each receiver? I am getting 1 HD DVR a standard DVR, and several standard receivers.

I am anxiously awaiting my new install of DirecTV, switching from digital cable. I have already re-aimed my OTA antenna to maximize the locals, but I am quite interested to see how the installer will deal with running lines: will he convert my cable TV lines to feed my antenna signal, and then run 2 new satellite lines to each receiver? I am getting 1 HD DVR a standard DVR, and several standard receivers.

If he's reusing any old cable make sure it's RG-6, D* says to not use RG-59 for the new Ka band sats. He also must make sure there are two lines running to DVR's, if you want OTA and need a pull for that he can charge you. He'll also can charge extra for pulls in walls, basically anything that's not done the quickest/easiest way will be an extra charge.

first let me apoligize for not knowing that D* was in the antenna business, I have always done my own antenna work and have never diplexed. I still dont understand the title of the post. OTA still works for me. If a previous technology worked for you but doesnot now, I say, thats technology, been that way for years, did anyone demand to get reimbursed when the technology changed from 8 track, betamax, vinyl records? Soon when your TV does not work because of no analog transmissions will we all demand they give us new tv's? NO, technology changes, what worked yesterday has no guarantee of working with tomorrow's technology.

Mine works fine. I'm using my old Voom OTA. Just hook up an antenna and run it into the back of your receiver. Assuming you have a antenna input.

first let me apoligize for not knowing that D* was in the antenna business, I have always done my own antenna work and have never diplexed. I still dont understand the title of the post. OTA still works for me. If a previous technology worked for you but doesnot now, I say, thats technology, been that way for years, did anyone demand to get reimbursed when the technology changed from 8 track, betamax, vinyl records? Soon when your TV does not work because of no analog transmissions will we all demand they give us new tv's? NO, technology changes, what worked yesterday has no guarantee of working with tomorrow's technology.

No prob bro, yea D* dish and voom all installed OTA antennas for me in the past The work orders all showed them paying for them as well. On the other stuff, I understand your position completely.. I am a techno geek and fully know how Technology works. I am also a sucker for early adoption. Just like the laptop I am typing on is a Toshiba Qosmio with HDDVD. However the issues I had were with one of their newest boxes that supported OTA and they installed using diplexers. with their antenna. Nonetheless, they agreed they were responsible in this case. Apparently in other cases also because the installer said they had other work orders like mine...

Betamax etc.. yea thats an early adoption bad decision. Currently while they are supporting said box... I most certainly will stand my ground.

All worked out in the end though. D* fixed everything. My OTA signal is stronger than its ever been as well!

No prob bro, yea D* dish and voom all installed OTA antennas for me in the past The work orders all showed them paying for them as well. On the other stuff, I understand your position completely.. I am a techno geek and fully know how Technology works. I am also a sucker for early adoption. Just like the laptop I am typing on is a Toshiba Qosmio with HDDVD. However the issues I had were with one of their newest boxes that supported OTA and they installed using diplexers. with their antenna. Nonetheless, they agreed they were responsible in this case. Apparently in other cases also because the installer said they had other work orders like mine...

Betamax etc.. yea thats an early adoption bad decision. Currently while they are supporting said box... I most certainly will stand my ground.

All worked out in the end though. D* fixed everything. My OTA signal is stronger than its ever been as well!

Glad to see you've got it straghtened out .
I too suffer from the Early adoption program, and generally pay more for it because I want it before it comes down in price.
Currently looking at a Pioneer Elite 60" 1080p panel, waiting for it to arrive in the High End A/V store I use ....
Same way with the HR20-700's, orig. $399 I think it was, that was quite awhile ago.

Jimbo

Glad to see you've got it straghtened out .
I too suffer from the Early adoption program, and generally pay more for it because I want it before it comes down in price.
Currently looking at a Pioneer Elite 60" 1080p panel, waiting for it to arrive in the High End A/V store I use ....
Same way with the HR20-700's, orig. $399 I think it was, that was quite awhile ago.

Jimbo

LOL my wife was like "WHY YOU NEED A $3k laptop?!" I said "honey its HD" she rolled her eyes and said "you and your HD" hahahaha

Nothing looks sweeter than the 3d desktop effects on ubuntu at 1920x1200 :) http://www.ramzmusic.com/pics/Screenshot2.png http://www.ramzmusic.com/pics/Screenshot.png

jimbo you wouldn't know the recommended voltage of the winegard OTA antenna DC would ya?

Yes, It is good it worked out for you as like all of us early adopters,,,, this gets expensive. LOL, and I have it worse cuz there is no wife to keep me in check. I am still morning the loss of my laser disc player as I have a lot of old material I would like to see again not released on DVD. My last replacement player on ebay lasted about 1 month,,,grrrrrrrr

Just in case this is not clear to everyone, this problem also affects anyone who had basic cable joined to a DirecTV line feed, as we did. (We used basic cable - which we pay for in our community whether we use it or not - as a backup source, given the frequent thunderstorms/thick clouds here in South Florida.)

We had no problems until this week, when we could not access all of the new HD stations. I thought it was a bad BBC, but it was not. A tech arrived this morning and disconnected the backup cable from the splitter. That solved it, though of course we now either have to run a separate line for the backup cable signal or just surrender that option.

In any event, the point is: If your DirecTV was hooked up the same way and you're having trouble with the new HD stations, that's the reason.

OTOH, there are threads here that claim that if you install the BBC before the DirecTV line hits the diplexer/splitter (in the attic or wherever), that might allow you to maintain full funtionality.

I haven't tried that, but here is one such thread:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-hd-discussions/108822-diplexed-ota-new-hd-possible-i-think.html

Yes, It is good it worked out for you as like all of us early adopters,,,, this gets expensive. LOL, and I have it worse cuz there is no wife to keep me in check. I am still morning the loss of my laser disc player as I have a lot of old material I would like to see again not released on DVD. My last replacement player on ebay lasted about 1 month,,,grrrrrrrr

LOL even worse is I am an early adopter/packrat. I have a laser disc player laying in the garage my wife has asked... "what is that for? do you use that?"

I stream so much from my qosmio over HDMI to my Denon receiver. I can't even think of a reason to keep the laser disc player heh. Anything I don't have on DVD I can get over the internet.

If DirecTV uses the 250-750 MHz Ka lower intermediate frequency for local to local HDTV only, then it could be diplexed off and replaced with off-air broadcast HDTV. Can anyone confirm what transponders DirecTV has placed the national and RSN programming on? If they are all Ka upper, they won't get sacrificed through diplexing.

Last edited:
Diplexing an OTA HD feed or a cable tv feed along with your KA/KU 5 lnb dish feed to an H20 or HR20 is no problem, and should cause no issues if done correctly.

All you need to do is put your B-Band converter between the dish, or wideband switch and the first diplexor. By doing that, if the box requests a b-band channel, it is already converted to the higher frequency before it is combined with your off air signal. Here is a quick diagram.

bband.gif

Diplexing an OTA HD feed or a cable tv feed along with your KA/KU 5 lnb dish feed to an H20 or HR20 is no problem, and should cause no issues if done correctly.

All you need to do is put your B-Band converter between the dish, or wideband switch and the first diplexor. By doing that, if the box requests a b-band channel, it is already converted to the higher frequency before it is combined with your off air signal. Here is a quick diagram.
how does this look with 2 lines going to the hr20 from the switch? a picture is always worth a thousand words

Nice picture PATECO

Use RG-6 cable and compression ends and your good to go.

Avoid RG-59 cable and screw on connectors.

:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)