OTA Locals issue on 2 different receivers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

teb2500

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2010
US
I have two receivers active on my acct - a 772k and a 222. I have an outside antenna that pulls in locals from another market than my dish package, but the number of stations that I receive on both is substantially different. The 722k pulls in about 45-50 and the 222 is pulling about 14. Could the tuners be that much different? I do have the OTA feed being split before going into the tuners, but I changed it when I noticed the issue so that it went only to the 222 receiver and still only got 14 stations. (The signal is amplified as well.)

Any ideas?

First of all the tuners are different. I am surprised that there is that much difference but almost anything is possible. Compare signal strengths on each receiver. The scales will be different but you may see that one receiver is getting signal strengths that are just below what it can tune in.

I would also connect them differently at the antenna. Let the 222 see what the 722k did before and vice versa. there could be an issue with the cable run that currently goes t the 222. You will still be using the same run but it will be connected differently. Finally I would turn off or bypass the amp. The 222 may actually be getting too much signal or noise may be getting amplified.

If you cantry moving one receiver to the other location. if opposite receivers have the issue then the problem is likely the cable run. If it is the same then it is likely the receivers.

Good luck and I am sure others will have different and better ideas.

Last edited:
Thanks Geronimo for the post. It's not the amp - same # of stations either way. I'll check the run when I get a bit more time later.

I have never had a ViP222, but I can confirm that two different models of ViP211 (k and non-k) get a lot fewer OTA channels than my ViP722k did, even when connected to the same cable that the ViP722k had been using. So, I would say that the ViP722k definitely has a better OTA tuner.

I have never had a ViP222, but I can confirm that two different models of ViP211 (k and non-k) get a lot fewer OTA channels than my ViP722k did, even when connected to the same cable that the ViP722k had been using. So, I would say that the ViP722k definitely has a better OTA tuner.
I had a VIP612 fail and DISH replaced it with a remanufactured VIP612. The replacement received fewer channels than the original just showing all tuners even in the same model are not equal. I like Geronimo think overdriving might be the cause of the 211K's poor reception if it isn't I would contact DISH about replacing it.

Reactions: TheKrell
I had a VIP612 fail and DISH replaced it with a remanufactured VIP612. The replacement received fewer channels than the original just showing all tuners even in the same model are not equal. I like Geronimo think overdriving might be the cause of the 211K's poor reception if it isn't I would contact DISH about replacing it.
Been there, done that. The 211k is the replacement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)