OTA Newbie question...

Lord_Vader

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Richmond, VA
I started playing around with OTA a little bit late last year.

I bought this antenna from Walmart ( Walmart.com: RCA Amplified Digital Flat Indoor Antenna: TVs ) and put a tv tuner card in my PC with windows media center.

It picks up about 2/3 of the "local" channels just fine and the others are "ok" most of the time.

I used a spare coax run to put the antenna in the attic and that helped a little more.

I am now looking to possibly get a better "attic antenna" and clear up the reception for the other locals.

I appreciate any advice you folks can share. Thanks!

Here is the tv fool report from my zip.

TV Fool

I started playing around with OTA a little bit late last year.

I bought this antenna from Walmart ( Walmart.com: RCA Amplified Digital Flat Indoor Antenna: TVs ) and put a tv tuner card in my PC with windows media center.

It picks up about 2/3 of the "local" channels just fine and the others are "ok" most of the time.

I used a spare coax run to put the antenna in the attic and that helped a little more.

I am now looking to possibly get a better "attic antenna" and clear up the reception for the other locals.

I appreciate any advice you folks can share. Thanks!

Here is the tv fool report from my zip.

TV Fool

it looks like all your magor channels come from the 107 & not too far away...all are uhf excpt 12 & not that far away..you might be able to use a 4 bay uhf ant & do the trick ...it is uhf only ... but 12 might still come in because it is at the top of the vhf & not that far... i like the 8 bay better

The best bang for the buck would be either the Amazon.com: RCA ANT751 Outdoor Antenna Optimized for Digital Reception: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21M%2BrvJSthL.@@AMEPARAM@@21M%2BrvJSthL. I wouldn't take a chance with anything other than a "real" VHF/UHF antenna when dealing with an attic installation & the need for VHF. The multipath reflections in the attic can wreak havoc even on that strong VHF 12. Many viewers in the Richmond area have experienced reception issues since WWBT went back to VHF after the digital transition.

Your TV FOOL report shows you are down in a terrain blocked low area from the Richmond towers. This makes it even more important to have a good multipath fighting antenna to ensure better signal reliability.

Follow up question.

I already have the smaller omnidirectional antenna hooked up. Should I use that for anything or just replace it with the new one?

I am going to connect the new antenna and point it South East. Just wondering if the other could be used for anything. Also, if I got a second RCA ANT751 and pointed it North East (towards Charlottesville) , I would pick up those also?

Here is an updated TvFool link: TV Fool

You could try the ANT 751 for C-Ville, but I'm guessing only full power NBC-29 would be reliable. Since C-Ville is all UHF, I recommend a 91XG to maximize the weaker stations.

Thanks. What would be the best way to add the second antenna?

I read that I should do this:

mount the antennas one above each other with about 3 foot separation, one pointing in each direction

use the same length coax for each

combine the feeds with a splitter

maybe use a preamp on the down side of the splitter?

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)