OTA on a VIP722k not working

Easttexasdragon

Original poster
Nov 28, 2014
Bullard, Texas
Ok Guys I need your help, Someone put on your thinking cap. I bought a FG 162303 MT2 (Over-the-Air) OTA Module and its plugged into my vip722k Receiver. The Module is hooked to a 150MILES OUTDOOR TV ANTENNA MOTORIZED AMPLIFIED HDTV HIGH GAIN 36dB UHF VHF by RG6 CATV Cable. With the Cable connected to the TV's Antenna in port/post I can get a bunch of local Channels. (56.1 KETK, 56.2 Estrell, 7.1 KLTV, 7.2 Bounce, 7.3 La Vida, 19.1 KYTX, 19.2 MYTX, 19.3 This TV, 25.3 RF25.3, thru 25.9 RF25.9, 48.1 KTPN, 51.1 KFXK, 51.2 KLPN, 54.1 KCEB,) but when I connect the Cable to the Antenna in post on the Module I get the 3 KLTV Channels and thats all. Theres not alot of troubleshooting options. I have tried a hard boot and soft boot of the Receiver, Made a NEW RG6 Jumper Cable from the AMP to the Module. Removed the Module and cleaned the contacts and replaced it and rebooted the Receiver again. And Finally I have Replaced the Module with a NEW one and it still only gets KLTV Channels. I even Tried turning the Antenna while the module was scanning for channels. Tried a differnt Antenna then it didnt get any channels. Checked the software version on the vip722k (L809RMKB-N) was told its up to date. I'm out of things to try, ANYONE Got any ideas?

I hope the replacement of your 722k helps, but if it does not, consider that your antenna could be overloading the signal on all of the UHF stations and just barely allowing the one VHF station to get through.

That "150 mile" antenna is little more than a piece of wire with a high dB gain pre-amp stuck on it, over priced and underperforming because the antenna elements are not properly designed to receive the channels you need.

All that is left to do is amplify the hell of what little signal it happens to find and voila!

As I said, I hope the replacement works for you.

Menu 6 system setup, 8 hdtv.....on left under analog type make sure it is set to "off air"

Reactions: Hall
I hope the replacement of your 722k helps, but if it does not, consider that your antenna could be overloading the signal on all of the UHF stations and just barely allowing the one VHF station to get through.

That "150 mile" antenna is little more than a piece of wire with a high dB gain pre-amp stuck on it, over priced and underperforming because the antenna elements are not properly designed to receive the channels you need.

All that is left to do is amplify the hell of what little signal it happens to find and voila!

As I said, I hope the replacement works for you.
Then why does it work fine when the antenna is hooked to the TV?

Reactions: Hall
Not sure why there is that option because AFAIK the tuner will not tune anything other than OTA.

It's possible that "back in the beginning" that Dish had some thoughts of implementing a "clear QAM" scan on the 722K. There is a gray'd out option somewhere in the menus that mentions QAM. In another thread a while back a member mentioned that he was quite sure that the broadcomm chip in the receiver is capable of such a feat. Dish never implemented the feature however which is unfortunate..

Reactions: TheKrell
You must have a long memory! Do you remember which receiver(s) had an NTSC tuner?
The JVC DVHS, 5000, 6000, 811, 381, 921 & the 942 all had NTSC tuners. The code to choose cable or air I believe is from the 942 code. At some point I owned each of those model receivers.

Sent from my iPad using Safari.

Reactions: TheKrell
When I worked for Dish, nobody beleive me that there was a JvC VCR combo receiver for dish network. In my opinion, the birth child of the 381(sort of with the inputs) in a very obscure way of looking at it.

I don't understand this. I have the same problem with these stations as the OP. I live 40 miles from Tyler and have a deep fringe Channel Master antenna atop a 60' tower, rotor and amp. I get HD locals through Dish but like the OTA for even better HD quality. The problem is only channel 7 comes in reliably while all the others the OP listed are hit or miss. The antenna is suppose to be both VHF and UHF so I don't understand about the "overload" issue. The bedroom tv working off a 612 receiver gets all the locals OTA but the main living room (722 with locals module) does not. I can only attribute it to the short cable to the bedroom vs the very long run to the living room. I've tried everything else but never considered this overload thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)